Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By sinias
  • 2 Post By bradmeister1
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Anyone know of a battery charger for pre 3? I want to have a spare battery charging while I'm using phone without buying a second phone to do this. Thanks for any help
    sshaka likes this.
    I join the topic....I need a charger for my Pre 3!!!
    El Sendero del Samurai: Lealtad, Paz Interna, Paciencia y Meditar a los pies de Buda

Samsung Galaxy S4 + Root / HP TouchPad 4G + CM10 / iPod Touch 5 + Jailbreak 6.1.3
    Unfortunately, Palm never released an official battery charger for the Pre 3, so your options are limited to third party "universal" chargers such as this one: Universal Battery Charger

Edit: Maybe, this one: Digipower TC-U100

2nd Edit: Seems there really isn't a consensus on a reliable charger...

Of course, Palm clearly warns you not to do this:

"Use only batteries and chargers approved by Palm or HP with your device. Failure to use an approved battery may increase the risk that your device will overheat, catch fire, or explode, resulting in serious bodily injury, death, or property damage. Use of unapproved third-party power supply accessories may damage the device and voids the limited warranty for the product."

With all that said, I have seen anecdotal evidence on this forum, which suggests that many of these universal chargers do work well with Pre 3 batteries. Note: I have not used any of these chargers, and therefore, can't personally recommend one.
    Last edited by bradmeister1; 06/08/2013 at 05:27 PM. Reason: No consensus
    Quote Originally Posted by bradmeister1 View Post
    ...so your options are limited to third party "universal" chargers such as this one: Universal Battery Charger...

I have this one...it doesn't works with the Pre 3's battery!!!
    El Sendero del Samurai: Lealtad, Paz Interna, Paciencia y Meditar a los pies de Buda

Samsung Galaxy S4 + Root / HP TouchPad 4G + CM10 / iPod Touch 5 + Jailbreak 6.1.3
    Quote Originally Posted by sshaka View Post
    I have this one...it doesn't works with the Pre 3's battery!!!
    Maybe, try this one: http://goo.gl/2xeu1 Sounds like it has been confirmed to work, properly.

Edit: There may not be a consensus on any of these devices. See ZehHa's comment below!

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Buy the Digipower TC-U100 Universal Lithium Charger at TigerDirect.ca

This one works, I tried it in person back in Hong Kong, but didn't buy because that shop was too expensive... Think can be found on eBay for $10. I just use my spare parts Pre 3 for charging batteries these days.

Mind you some of the universal chargers don't work because the pins are too thick. I bought one on DX and it didn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZehHa View Post
    Just to save other readers from losing money.

I can confirm that Digipower TC-U100 Universal Lithium Charger definitely does NOT LOAD the original Pre3 battery. I bought one from amazon.com together with a EU mains adaptor. It just doesn't load the original Pre3 battery. Neiter with the original AC adaptor, nor with a universal micro USB adaptor. Neither in trickle mode, nor by regular charging.

It may load other LiIon batteries, but not the original Pre3 one. Don't buy it with this intent.

Most probable reason: See above. Missing battery data interface.
    Last edited by bradmeister1; 06/08/2013 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Added warning about the lack of agreement on the charger's effectiveness.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinias View Post
    Anyone know of a battery charger for pre 3? I want to have a spare battery charging while I'm using phone without buying a second phone to do this. Thanks for any help
    honestly, you want a spare battery charger? get another pre3.

that's what i did; i had two oem batts that came with the phones, and 3 of the aftermarket batts. one phone was active, the other was basically just a backup in case i broke the active one.

i tried one of those universal types, where you slide the pins to fit where the contacts are on any given battery...

it fried one of my Pre- batts; actually melted it near the contacts. (glad i used one of those as the first test dummy)

i believe this is because the 3rd contact (there's 5 on the pre3) is part of the technology that regulates and halts charging once it's full.

i wrote up a thread on it here, with some pics. search my username and you should find the thread reviewing that particular charger.

you may find that one of those power pack type devices is easier to find and carry. think of it like it's an external battery. like an external dvd drive for a slim laptop.

good luck, but be careful if you go universal, and try a battery that's not so rare as your test run.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    honestly, you want a spare battery charger? get another pre3.
    Sounds like being the only working solution at this time.

I can confirm that Digipower TC-U100 Universal Lithium Charger definitely does NOT LOAD the original Pre3 battery. I bought one from amazon.com together with a EU mains adaptor. It just doesn't load the battery. Neiter with the original AC adaptor, nor with a universal micro USB adaptor. Neither in trickle mode, nor by regular charging.
    Last edited by ZehHa; 06/08/2013 at 05:13 AM.