1.    #1  
    Hello!

I was wondering if my Pre 3 even needs a screen protector. My AT&T HP Pre 3 already has a screen protector but it's awfully worn. When I removed it, it left a sticky residue on the screen thus when I put it back on, there are bubbles now. I'm still wondering on how to clean it but that's not my point. Does my Pre 3 need a screen protector? Can it live/survive? Here is what I think:

With Screen Protector:
    PROS
    - protects... duh.

CONS
    - leaves residue under it over time (some of them do and unluckily, mine does)
    - blurs front camera (if it is the anti-glare one)
    - causes the weird proximity sensor issue

Without Screen Protector:
    PROS
    - clear front camera
    - no proximity sensor problem
    - clear screen (vs an anti-glare screen protector)

CONS
    - no protection... duh again.
    - dust attractor(?)

So, opinions please? Thank you!
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    I've had mine going on couple years without a screen protected and have not a scratch anywhere on the screen. I'm not easy on my phones either. The screen is tough enough to go without!

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    I got a darn little scratch on my screen when I first got it... Was sad the gorilla glass or whatever didn't do better.

anyhow, water and dish soap or rubbing alcohol will clear your screen on up.

I like my stealth skins I get off ebay.
    Firstly, a properly cut screen protector would have holes for the camera and prox sensor, I should think.

Secondly, I don't know if that's true because I've also never used one for my Pre 2 or Pre 3! Both have held up with no scratches. The only precaution I ever take is trying not to put it in the same pocket with stuff like keys. Otherwise I'm pretty rough. The Pre 2 went almost 2 years (?) and this Pre 3 about 6 months (?) now.

And when I say no scratches, I mean the screens look as good as when I bought them. Of course, YMMV if you're even more rough. And definitely the plastic bodies don't hold up quite as well to scratches ( concrete...)
    If you would keep it in a simple cloth pouch for when you put it in your pocket with keys, then no.

The ones that truly needed a screen protector were the Pre+/- and the Pixi, whose screens were made of plastic, but starting with the Pre2, the screen is glass...
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xadion View Post
    I got a darn little scratch on my screen when I first got it... Was sad the gorilla glass or whatever didn't do better.

anyhow, water and dish soap or rubbing alcohol will clear your screen on up.

I like my stealth skins I get off ebay.
    will the soap and alcohol be really effective and won't it damage the screen/phone if it like went into the speaker hole up top by accident or do I just really have to be careful?
    its 1 of those typical thigns in life, if you get a protector your luck may hold and nothign ever happens, then just as you did need one but dont, BAM a nasty scratch that "could" have been prevented.

for the cost involved i personally thought wth and just got 1, any slim chance of keeping my pre3 in good condition is worth it.

that plus the pdair case i got im happy knowing its safer than being vanilla/naked.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    I don't want to jinx my phone (although I have a backup Pre3) but I've had mine for 2 years now with no screen protector and it still looks perfect - not a scratch in sight.

I am careful not to put stuff in the same pocket with it and I always face the screen in to my leg.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
  9.    #9  
    I don't know if I can ever find a Pre 3 screen protector for sale in my area and I can't buy online, so I was thinking of cutting one myself. I plan on getting an anti-glare one, just like the one I have now. Aside from leaving holes for the speaker, camera and proximity sensor, are there any other repercussions I should take note of?

oh and I also plan on getting my beloved phone a blackberry torch 9800 pouch since a lot of people say that that pouch is perfect for a Pre 3
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I'm on pre 3 number 1 I have two back ups, I have dropped it 20 times at least, not a scratch , the secret to this phones toughness us the shock absorbing material which is amazing , mind you that said the back cover is on its last legs . My view is don't bother.
    i broke my first pre2 when it dropped on the pavement. glass shattered. but the touch screen still functioned. it was just impossible to see because of the cracks.

so when i had my pre3's, i bought a six pack of screen covers. i did not want to scratch it. i was so paranoid of damaging that phone because it was so rare. it's part of why i sold them, just to eliminate the anxiety of it all.

so i have another pre2. and first thing i did was put a screen protector on it. i also have the front part of a two-piece style case on it. it's flat black, so it blends, but it gives the front 'oreo' some corner protection in case i drop it. i don't need the back half making the whole phone fatter, because i have a few spare battery covers.

but here's what i wanted to mention: there's a few different types of screen protectors. the ones i prefer come with a protective layer on both sides. one you peel off first, then apply the screen, rub out all the bubbles, then remove the second protective layer, and you've got a perfect bubble free install. and they dont have adhesive. it's like a static cling kinda thing. and it's completely smooth, no 'orange peel' like some of the ones you see them poking with a pen and "it's so strong it won't break" nonsense. the ones i use are flat and smooth.

i will wipe the whole screen with a rubbing alcohol pad (make sure it's actually alcohol not benzyl-something) like you find in a first aid kit. then wipe it with a lint free microfiber eyeglass rag. i bend the screen between my fingers so that when i apply it, the first contact point is a vertical line right down the center of the screen. press it slowly outward to the left, then slowly out to the right. if it doesn't line up, i take it off completely, rinse it with water to confirm it's lint free, and try again. vertical center touches first, then spread to the sides. if you do it slowly, you'll get no bubbles. then use the microfiber to push from the center out, left to right, not up and down.

the screen protector did save one of my pre3s from damage. i dont remember what i did, but i remember seeing this scratch, it looked like it went right thru the protector, and i was mad. but when i peeled it off, the glass was perfect. the shield took all the damage. so i applied a new one, and it was perfect again. got them on fleabay. like 3 for $5 or something.

i recommend only this one style. it's invisible, rigid, and no residue no matter how long its been on, and you can wash them with soap and water and reinstall til you get it perfect. don't remember it having a brand name tho. but it's the ones with two tabs that show "remove before install" and "remove after install". protect your investment, or kick yourself for not spending $5 to have the luxury of knowing you can wipe off face grease and fingerprints with your shirt without risking a scratch to the glass.

holy crap i blablablah when it's past my bedtime. sorry. ok gnite
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    [...] 'orange peel' like some of the ones you see them poking with a pen and "it's so strong it won't break" nonsense.

[...]

Oh, the urethane film kind, sold under brand names like Zagg...

I like the material, but not the orangepeel effect. So i'm thinking... another company seems to sell the same stuff in rolls for automotive applications, which doesn't orangepeel... it's an option that i think is worth investigating when i'll have a bit more money....
    Every "cell / mobile / feature / dumb / smart" phone needs some screen protector... with or without "Gorilla / Monkey / Camel / Dog / Cat" Glass...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krysnosis View Post
    Hello!

I was wondering if my Pre 3 even needs a screen protector. My AT&T HP Pre 3 already has a screen protector but it's awfully worn. When I removed it, it left a sticky residue on the screen thus when I put it back on, there are bubbles now. I'm still wondering on how to clean it but that's not my point. Does my Pre 3 need a screen protector? Can it live/survive? Here is what I think:
    This really depends on the user. How do you treat your devices?

I used a screen protector on my Pre- though it didn't seem to give any benefit.

I have not used one on my Pre3, the only time I can see scratches(and they are light scuff marks) are when the screen is off and I'm wiping it down with a microfiber cloth. Finger print smudges are much more annoying than the nearly invisible scuff marks.

I've been using this particular AT&T Pre3 for what seems like about 16 months now, prior to that was using an EU Pre3.

I treat all my devices with great care though. Last time I dropped a phone on a hard surface was probably 2006(flip phone, cracked one of the screens(no touch screens, screen was still very usable with a single crack across the face) but it never stopped working until I retired it). Never had a device lost/stolen/etc. On a similar note my home electronics are always connected to a UPS.

It's quite surprising to me how careless people seem to be with these devices(especially given the cost of highish end smart phones is relatively quite high). It's not like I keep my phone wrapped in bubble wrap, but it really takes no effort to treat it with care(e.g. don't put it in the same pocket as my keys).

But if your more of a carefree/less type person screen protector may be a good bet - if you care about preserving the Pre3 since obviously support is non existent and availability is extremely limited.