Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    New problem with my Pre 3. When I take photos with the flash, the start of the shutter sound starts then the phone just dies. Only a battery pull will recover. I have the Advanced System Menus - Device Menu, and can turn the LED Flash on manually and all is fine.

Installed Patches/Kernel
    A-1 Skyraider,
    Advanced System Menus - Most of them,
    Delete email from dashboard,
    Disable light sensitive dimming,
    Disk cache mod,
    Email mega mix,
    FB calendar timezone fix
    Google sync behaviours patch,
    Imporved CIMG Video/Photo naming,
    Muffle system logging,
    System Control optimization,
    Unthrottle download manager.

I have tried uninstalling various patches such as the advanced device menu and improved photo/video naming. Have also reverted back to the stock kernel. Can anyone think of anything else to try before I resort to the Doctor?
    Hhmm.. exactly the same glitch noticed here yesterday!
    Jeez.. are these 'features' on a synchronised time-release or what?!

Are you running a 'Mugen' battery by any chance?
    I am, or was - as all I have found so far is that this shut-down-at-photo-flash glitch has not been occurring with the 'standard' and original HP Battery fitted.

It is almost as if the power/current draw as a result of the flash activation is itself 'pulling' the battery - phone totally dead afterwards, until reboot, yes?
    Maybe 'software' - may also be bad battery connections?

I suppose it might be worth removing any 'Flashlight' patches too, for experimentation purposes?

Last edited by Mutoidi; 05/28/2013 at 02:31 AM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Hhmm.. exactly the same glitch noticed here yesterday!
    Jeez.. are these bugs on a 'time-release' or what?!

Are you running a 'Mugen' battery by any chance?
    I am, or was - as all I have found so far is that this shut-down-at-photo-flash glitch has not been occurring with the 'standard' and original HP Battery fitted.

It is almost as if the power/current draw as a result of the flash activation is itself 'pulling' the battery - totally dead afterwards, yes?
    Maybe 'software' - may also be bad battery connections?

I suppose it might be worth removing any 'Flashlight' patches too, for experimentation purposes?

Well, I had the same, then took out the Mugen battery, replaced it with the original and no more crashes !!! Really strange.

Now I have to look for another batter because the original one is at 50% of its capacity and is empty after some 10 - 12h.

Thanks for the "Mugen"-pointer
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Same here. The Mugen battery is the only thing new since I've been having these crashes. Pulled the battery immediately so not noticed any battery drain. Tried removing LED flashlight patches, no difference. My standard battery is at 50% health so I'm not going back there.

Occurred to me to disable flash in the camera app and if flash is needed, turn on the LED flash with a patch. Seems to work for me but looks a bit odd lighting up your mates down the pub.
    Well, as for the difference to using just the flashlight, there's a lot more going on with the hardware when taking a picture. The sound effect, camera sensor, image processing and flash are all going off almost simultaneously. Depending how close together, this can be a higher instantaneous current draw than just turning on the torch.

That doesn't totally do it though if turning on the lamp ahead of time stops the issue. True however that the act of going from off to on generates a current spike larger than the steady on state. (Old school light bulbs are burned out from many on/off cycles, not so much how long they're left on.)

If really the battery, that's pretty strange. It's feasible by trying to pack in more cells they increased the lifetime but reduced the peak allowable draw. Maybe someone can load test the two batteries to verify?
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    If I knew what I was doing load testing batteries maybe I would. Convinced it is the battery. Just put the standard battery in and no flash-crash. Mugen in, instant flash-crash. If only Amzer had done a battery for the Pre 3...
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbode View Post
    If I knew what I was doing load testing batteries maybe I would. Convinced it is the battery. Just put the standard battery in and no flash-crash. Mugen in, instant flash-crash. If only Amzer had done a battery for the Pre 3...
    I can confirm this is a mugen bat issue , not always but if battery has less than full charge it cannot take a sudden surge , I also cannot reboot from a mugen without placing it on the touchstone. Now having said all that I am using an original pre 3 with patches etc. I can't be bothered micro managing to see if its also a combination of things. But I thing the mugen is the issue. Not a big deal to me as the phone takes a horrible pic with flash. My phone has been dropped 20 times and the back cover is in serious stress so I may pull out one of my reserve pre 3's soon and see if it occurs there.
    Just as a note that may be useful, I have a mugen battery in a Pre2.

Though I'm very happy with the mugen, I've noticed that the original Palm battery will cause a warning and then an automatic shutdown when it runs out. I'm pretty sure the mugen just dies. As a wild guess, I'd say either the chemistry is different and doesn't like spikes or dies fast when low or that the chip/circuit in the mugen lacks management as sophisticated or integrated as the Palm - the tech may be proprietary.
    Quote Originally Posted by modelnet View Post
    I can confirm this is a mugen bat issue , not always but if battery has less than full charge it cannot take a sudden surge , I also cannot reboot from a mugen without placing it on the touchstone. Now having said all that I am using an original pre 3 with patches etc. I can't be bothered micro managing to see if its also a combination of things. But I thing the mugen is the issue. Not a big deal to me as the phone takes a horrible pic with flash. My phone has been dropped 20 times and the back cover is in serious stress so I may pull out one of my reserve pre 3's soon and see if it occurs there.
    Yes.. getting a bit tired of Mugen's Pre3 offering actually!
    Been wrestling with the reboot problem too here: Mugen Battery received

I already recieved a replacement unit from Mugen, (but it also exhibits both boot & also the 'flash' glitches!)
    and have now updated them regarding this. I have also requested that they actually obtain a Pre3, load 2.2.4 and replicate these
    issues under their own 'controlled conditions' and then rectify the problems and inform us. Some hope! .

What is it in the circuitry that is causing it to cut power so instantly.. is there an under-rated 'overload' cut out in these batteries - or is it the Pre3 itself saying 'Not enough juice - therefore: 'cut out' - or is it that the Mugen just can't deliver such a current 'spike'?

Last edited by Mutoidi; 05/28/2013 at 11:55 AM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I have also contacted Mugen regarding this. Maybe this thread should be merged with the other Mugen thread.
    I have also contacted Mugen regarding this. Maybe this thread should be merged with the other Mugen thread.
    Great. Many hands make Light Work!
    Merge would probably be good.

Just curious do you guys have the extended or the slim?

I just tried my phone with the slim one and it works fine?
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    It's the 1400 mAh slim, recent purchase. Dubious batch?

+ 1 - (actually + 3. ie. Two phones and 3 such Mugens now!)

That could be. I bought mine when it was first released.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I got a reply from Mugen. No mention of any of the stuff I brought up:

Thanks for your kind email regarding your new Mugen Power battery. We are sorry to reading you are encountering problems with the battery. It is always possible that a battery malfunctions, despite rigorous testing and quality control during and after manufacturing process. There is a 12 month limited warranty on the batteries, and if a battery is not up to the high-quality standard set by Mugen Power, it will be replaced for a new battery free of charge.

Please return item to:...

HONG KONG

Please include original packaging (if you still have it) and exact description of the problem. Please also mark RMA-5000xxxxx on the package for faster processing.

As soon as we receive it we will send you a replacement.

Please send us a scan of postage receipt and we will refund it! Please note that we will fully refund only the cost of AirMail. Any additional services costs (express mail, insurance, delivery notification) will not be refunded.

Please contact me if You need any additional Info.

Best regards,

Jan
    Mugen Power Batteries
    Now decision is do I live with my work around, or send it back and live with my 50% health standard battery until I receive a replacement? And then the replacement may be just as bad...
    Yes.. standard response letter from the ubiquitous 'Jan'!
    (Sometimes she 'personalises' her replies - but then forgets to edit-out the 'standard' text - with often hilarious and conflicting results!). .

I have not heard anything back since suggesting they actually buy a Pre3 (rather than just 'copying' the battery therefrom), offered them a link to an ebay seller, then install 2.2.4, offered them a link to the download page, then get down & dirty with it thenmselves - and their faulty batteries - in order to actually (and hopefully finally) rectify.

In fact as there is now an Air Mail ban here on Lithium Batteries outgoing, so I could not even return my first one anyway!
    The replacement was also faulty in boot & flash with the Pre3.

How big is a 'batch' of these things anyway?
    How long therefore before Mugen actually stop just offering faulty replacements from the same batch and DO somehing about understanding their problem?

So, I'm back to using the HP original for now!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 05/31/2013 at 04:42 AM.

Geez. And I really wanted to get a mugen battery too. I went and got a spare phone instead since there was nothing available back when the pre3 "hit the market"

I hope Mugen does something about this but I don't see them putting any more development into a battery for the pre3.

Is anyone having this issue with a fresh mugen battery?

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    Geez. And I really wanted to get a mugen battery too. I went and got a spare phone instead since there was nothing available back when the pre3 "hit the market"

I hope Mugen does something about this but I don't see them putting any more development into a battery for the pre3.

Is anyone having this issue with a fresh mugen battery?

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II
    Quite honestly you are probably better off scouring ebay and getting TWO HP originals for little more than the price of one of these Mugen Mutogenic Monsters, at the moment anyway!

Certainly your total mAh:$ ratio would be better! eg: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Pre3-Orig...fa#ht_78wt_911

Last edited by Mutoidi; 05/31/2013 at 04:54 AM.

Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Thanks for the link. Next time I'm in the US I'll pick some up. Nothing on the UK ebay site.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast