1.    #1  
    I'm looking at upgrading from my Centro, which is giving up the ghost piece by piece (half of the keyboard and the touchscreen no longer work). I'm looking at the pre3, but I'm wondering if jumping from one dead platform to another is a good idea. Anyone done this before? Any experience doing so? And bonus question, anyone successfully used the Pre3 on a good prepaid provider?

Andrew
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    I've used Pre2 and 3 on both tmobile and AT&T . AT&T was by far best. Although its been about 6 months and they have both unveiled that 4g and LTE would be available on prepaid now. It may be even better nowadays.
    I made the exact same move, Centro to Pre3. It has been well worth it!
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Straight Talk on ATT was great on my Pre3, but from what I understand, they aren't doing ATT sims anymore, which really sucks, because ATT has way better device support than T-Mobile does in the US.

Unfortunately, I shattered my Pre3, and have been using my Nexus in Android on it. And although I hate the UI, i'm finding it hard to get the motivation to move back to a different Pre phone, when I've got a plethora of webOS tablets and an iPad.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    I did all of this, went from a Nokia 5230 (s60v5) on Tmobile to Palm Pre 2 on Straight talk then I got the Pre 3. I went from S60v5 which was a dead platform to webOS, I was happy with the move, still am. I am grandfathered into Straighttalk under at&t and it works good with it (except I think they really limit my ability to stream a youtube video.) I used my pre 2 on tmobile before switching and it worked minus the 3g. If you switch to Straighttalk now you only have tmobile for gsm and I'm know 3g wont work but I'm not sure about 4g.
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
  6.    #6  
    I'm just looking to use the Pre3 for voice/text, and use it without data (only WiFi) on GoSmart, which uses T-Mobile's network (gosmartmobile.com). I'm going to be in Minneapolis and T-Mobile has strong coverage up there, so I've heard.

How is the Pre3 as far as future-proof? Is the App Catalog still around and not going anywhere? (even if not many new apps are being added, obviously). I can still set up the device okay, and everything? What about WebOs CE or something like that, any support for that in the Pre 3's future?

One last question, then I'm done -- and this is just a little one, is there a way to sync Google Tasks/Calendar to the Pre3? That would be icing on the cake for me.

Thanks for your help!
    Andrew
  7.    #7  
    One last question, then I'm done: any way at all to run PalmOS apps on the Pre3? I'd love to have that ability as a backup in case I can't find a good replacement. Though, those of you who mentioned moving from Centro-->Pre3 (checkmate?) how well have you found good apps? Since PalmOS in its heyday had 50,000, which was more than enough for me, I've never put much stock in the however many billion Android and iOS have, but the question is if the 10,000 webOS apps are good ones. As former Centro guys, how is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by authorandrew View Post
    One last question, then I'm done: any way at all to run PalmOS apps on the Pre3? I'd love to have that ability as a backup in case I can't find a good replacement. Though, those of you who mentioned moving from Centro-->Pre3 (checkmate?) how well have you found good apps? Since PalmOS in its heyday had 50,000, which was more than enough for me, I've never put much stock in the however many billion Android and iOS have, but the question is if the 10,000 webOS apps are good ones. As former Centro guys, how is it?
    i know there was the classic emulator available for the lesser Pre's, but I'm not sure if the compatibility issues were worked out, were they?

(Centro -> Pre3, that's quite the jump )
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    i know there was the classic emulator available for the lesser Pre's, but I'm not sure if the compatibility issues were worked out, were they?

(Centro -> Pre3, that's quite the jump )
    There was a PalmOS emulator, called Classic, that worked on Pre1 and Pre2, but not on Pre3. Some have reported limited luck with modifying the roms, but I don't think anyone really has it working. So if you want to run a real PalmOS app, you need a WebOS version, or a Pre 1/2.

WebOS app catalog appears to be alive.

And it is very easy, simple to link Google calendar/events/contacts to Pre/WebOS - you just add your account in the accounts app, and voila, you are done.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    There was a PalmOS emulator, called Classic, that worked on Pre1 and Pre2, but not on Pre3. Some have reported limited luck with modifying the roms, but I don't think anyone really has it working. So if you want to run a real PalmOS app, you need a WebOS version, or a Pre 1/2.

And it is very easy, simple to link Google calendar/events/contacts to Pre/WebOS - you just add your account in the accounts app, and voila, you are done.
    Someone (Mr Steffes?) was able to get Classic running on the Pre3, but reported that you couldn't release his work to the public due to copyright issues...
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post

I'd be wary of continued Google sync support. They've made recent shifts away from their previous APIs, and there is no telling how much longer Google calendar and contact sync will work. We can probably expect support for IMAP email to continue.

Besides that word of warning, also know that Google tasks don't sync. At least, I was never able to figure it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by authorandrew View Post
    I can remember there were very few comparable apps I couldn't find for my (then) new Pre3 from the outset.

The main one I missed was MobileDB, which I used weekly at work for topping up my inventory of products. Then I discovered Data Manager, which is everything MobileDB was and more, with that lovely webOS interface to boot. I can't find an equivalent app available for iOS or Android either, so I'll be sticking with my Pre3 for the foreseeable future.

The Tasks app that came pre-installed was a disappointment so I never used that, instead installing ToDo Classic, which (for the most part) works just like the PalmOS equivalent.

The Calendar app does indeed sync with Google Calender, although it has never compared to the unbeatable DateBK on my Centro. Installing the UberCalendar patch helps a lot, but I still miss it. I set up multiple Google Calendars on my Google account so I could colour-code them and emulate the 'categories' I used previously. I suppose the Synergy backup is a welcome addition.

If you just want to text/SMS (something I do a LOT) then the Pre3's keyboard and Messages app are both great. The keyboard in particular is many times better than the Centro's. Some say the best portrait keyboard EVER! The only thing I miss in this department is the 5-way selector for moving the cursor through text and editing etc.

A few other things I miss from my Centro:

• The combined Calculator and Conversion app. I know there are conversion apps available for webOS and I do love the style of the built-in Calculator, but having the whole thing combined was great on my Centro.
    • The ability to choose photo resolution. With the Pre you have the choice of Maximum, Maximum or Maximum. I purchased Photo Effects Pro, just so I can adjust images ready for emailing.
    • The ability to move/delete/rename photos on the device. The Centro made this really easy but there are virtually no options in the webOS photos app.

I wouldn't be too concerned with getting Classic on the Pre3, after you've used webOS for a few months, the old PalmOS apps seem sooooo dated! You won't *want* to use them even if you feel you need to!
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Ps. Are there any particular apps you feel are essential to you. Post a list and I can try to find the webOS equivalents.
    If I didn't make it clear above, I LOVE my Pre3!
    HP Pre 3 (UK)