Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By Remy X
  • 2 Post By hanksimon
  1.    #1  
    The last posts for Verizon plans seem to be a couple of years old, so I'm asking for some newbie advice.

I'm looking for options for Verizon plans to keep costs down as much as possible.

I like the looks of the preplan released on April 12, 2013 for $35/mo and 500 minutes. Although this will replace my landline, I don't expect to average more than 500 talk minutes. (I haven't factored in minutes used on tollfree numbers.... that now will not be 'free'). I don't text now, and don't expect to text a lot. I'd like to surf, but I believe that 4Gb will probably be fine and 2Gb should be adequate.

I expect to use Wifi for 'free' surfing, but can I use it for voice? (I don't know anyone who is on Skype.)

Also, what's today's status for Google Voice? What do I gain from SynerGV ?

But my main consideration is reducing costs... what is everyone's experience and opinion?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    is the pre3 able to work on their pre pay plan? I know sprint opened their pre pay plans up to any of their devices...did verizon?
  3.    #3  
    I got through to Verizon and I got a scary expensive response. They told me that I could NOT use a pre-paid plan with my Pre3, implying the cheapest talk plan was $30/mo, but that I would also have to buy a $40/mo data plan?

That's almost as expensive as an AT&T plan with an iPhone? And, I think I can get an iPhone 4s and plan from Virgin for $30/mo?

How do I turn on my Pre3 without getting gouged?
    You could try looking at Page Plus. They are known to accept/activate Verizon enabled devices with a clean ESN.

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Remy X and hanksimon like this.
    I second that. PagePlus leases Verizon's towers, so the service quality should be the same.
  6.    #6  
    I just spoke with PagePlus and they were much more helpful and responsive than Verizon had been. It sounds like the plans are reasonable and very easy to modify.

I am concerned about the initial set-up, because I don't know if they even know what a Pre2 is... and I just fell off the turnip truck :-) I've read some of the processes here, and I'll write up an outline, after I actually get my phone.

Thanks for the help and suggestions...

Any thoughts for the newby are appreciated...

BTW, any experience, epiphanies, thoughts, suggestions about linking the Pre3 to the Touchpad? Since I've never had the opportunity to do it, it doesn't sound like something that I'd do very much?
    What do you mean by linking Pre3 to TP? You can put them both on the same Palm Profile (you cannot put 2 phones on a profile without hassle, but you can do a Pre3 and TP withoit issues :-) )

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Last edited by Herrie; 05/22/2013 at 01:10 AM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  8.    #8  
    Yes, and others as far as linking:

1. Profile - What are the advantages and disadvantages of a single Palm profile? I don't see any disadvantages, and the only advantage [which is a good one] is using a single account rather than remembering two accounts.

2. Touch to Share - Can I only share Web pages, And does the [Bluetooth?] link work through a padded case? I know the Bluetooth PAN would, but I also realize that the touch-to-share may have a very small distance threshold ? What other things can I do with touch to share?

3. I don't understand the possibilities of using my Touchpad to make phone calls through the Pre3. Either it's simple and trivial to accomplish, as written in the large user manuals, or I don't quite see what I can do and how to do it. Also,, how do I protect my phone so other people can clone it, etc. ... while still being able to connect it to my Touchpad?

4. At a very high level [4 - 6 steps], what should I do first, etc. when I unbox my phone.
    For example: Charge it, Call PagePlus and Connect it, Load Preware, Load Doctor, Update to WebOS 2.24

Thanks
    Well, you unbox it, charge it, reflash it with the 2.2.4 Doctor, call PagePlus and then go through the first use setup process (palm profile, language, region)

After you're sure it all works, load Preware
    Last edited by Remy X; 05/22/2013 at 11:46 AM.
    hanksimon likes this.
    Oh, and save the Doctor file for just in case, if your phone starts having problems later on (bad patch etc)

And hopefully you saw my edit above, because I'm pretty sure you'd have to have PagePlus enter your phone's data into the system before logging into your Palm profile, if it doesn't give a way of doing that over wifi... I've had my Verizon Pre+ for so long that i forget if phones can load a profile over wifi or not
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Well, you unbox it, charge it, reflash it with the 2.2.4 Doctor, call PagePlus and then go through the first use setup process (palm profile, language, region)

After you're sure it all works, load Preware
    Wait, is the flashing actually necessary? I thought First Use primarily set up the Palm Profile, not the carrier stuff, and that carrier settings could be entered using ## codes, etc, in the phone app?

'Cause I know the First Use setup actually gets in the way sometimes when you're trying to set up for a carrier other than the one the phone's built for. (Needing to sneak into the Phone app via the emergency button, etc.)
    Verizon activation only works properly with 2.2.4 is what I read here. It doesn't work with 2.2.0!

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Wait, is the flashing actually necessary? I thought First Use primarily set up the Palm Profile, not the carrier stuff, and that carrier settings could be entered using ## codes, etc, in the phone app?

'Cause I know the First Use setup actually gets in the way sometimes when you're trying to set up for a carrier other than the one the phone's built for. (Needing to sneak into the Phone app via the emergency button, etc.)
    I gather that both ways have been successful, and there are instructions for both paths. If I have to 'fight' with Doctor, I think I'd prefer to do that first, b/c I'm expecting to have some minor problems with PagePlus setting things up.
    @ananimus

Maybe you're right, but when i got my phone from Verizon, the guy entered stuff into the system first, before i got the create the palm profile, hence the confusion.. I don't know what comes first, the data connection or the profile ...perhaps the Verizon store has a wifi hotspot

that said, when I had to Doctor my mother's VZW Pre+, all I had to do is enter the profile login and never has to mess with the carrier settings, so if you ever have to re-Doctor later, it should be pretty simple
    Doctor up to 2.2.4 first 'cause the Doc will erase everything anyway... Better now than after a lot of set up.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
  16.    #16  
    Thanks folks. I got my Pre3 last week and followed the steps without much of a hitch. Needed to call PagePlus before setup and afterwards logged into my (HP Touchpad) Palm account, downloading apps without a problem. Sync'd contacts from facebook, my not my desktop yet.
    Cool it worked out for you. I was following this thread because I currently have a VZW Pre Plus on 1.4.5.1 that I would like to replace with a Pre 3. My current plan is 150MB for about $20/month, but it sounds like VZW will not allow me to keep it if I upgrade to a Pre 3 :-(
  18.    #18  
    PagePlus uses the Verizon network, and I think the preplans were cheaper.
    My plan is PAGEPLUS $29.95 ~ 1200 MINUTES + 3000 TEXT + 250MB

One of the reasons that I wanted pre-paid, is because AT&T had quoted low-cost plans, then when I signed up, the taxes and fees were more than the monthly plan costs, resulted in double what I expected.

Is your $20 plan with Verizon a flat rate, or do you also have to play taxes and fees on top of that?
    Quote Originally Posted by hanksimon View Post
    Is your $20 plan with Verizon a flat rate, or do you also have to play taxes and fees on top of that?
    Yes, there are taxes and fees on top, many of which I do not understand. It is part of a family plan, but we each have separate data plans, and no text messaging is included. We looked into sharing data, but there are recurring monthly access fees that are more than the cost of data itself. Highway robbery!
  20.    #20  
    Yup, ... pageplus is worth a phone call ...