Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By stockjock
  • 3 Post By Rnp
  • 5 Post By stockjock
  1.    #1  
    To begin, I've owned nearly every Palm device and WebOS device ever created. I started with the original Palm Pilot and as that device was improved, I upgraded constantly.

I've also owned 2 different Palm Treos. In fact, when I visited Mexico a couple weeks ago, I wanted to bring a basic phone that wouldn't use much data. So I brought along my Treo 755p, which still works like a champ. Battery life is amazing and the phone is just a joy to use. I've never seen a phone that is a better business organizer and the search function is terrific. Just type in any part of a word and every instance of that word will show.

While I actually preferred PalmOS, eventually I made the leap of faith WebOS and the Pixi Plus. Next came the Pre Plus. I liked both phones a lot even though I missed some of the PalmOS functionality. I'm not sure that many know that Verizon still offers a free 5gb wireless hotspot on Pre Plus and Pixi Plus only, which is a great deal.

When the Pre Plus had problems, Verizon upgraded me to a Pre2, which lacked the free hotspot, but seemed like a better phone in almost every way. So I've been using the Pre2 for a couple of years or so.

Yesterday, I saw a listing on Ebay for a Pre3 for $135 and I figured I'd give that a shot, as I like the phones and the operating system. After buying it, I clicked on "see seller's other items" and he was also selling an iPhone5.

I asked him what he'd sell me the iPhone5 for since I'd bought the Pre3 and he sold it to me for $435.

So I've got a nearly new Pre3 on the way and also a nearly new iPhone5. I plan on testing both of them and keeping the one I like the best. While I've been a WebOS fan, the fact is that it's been almost fully abandoned. I have an iPad and I am familiar with iOS and I've also been impressed with the iPhone5's that I've checked out.

Not sure which phone will survive. But I have a feeling it will be the iPhone5. Makes me a bit sad in a way, but we'll see how the competition goes.

<edited by moderator>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/13/2013 at 10:46 PM. Reason: links to outside sites not allowed
    RumoredNow and xandros9 like this.
    Ok, let's go...

One: If you have an IPhone 4s, you have an IPhone 5. Close to no one diference (I had both).
    Two: Comparing numbers is one thing, compare real use is other thing.
    Three: If do you really want to compare numbers: IPhone 5 Vs. Galaxy Note II and; so than, came talk about comparison... Hehehehehe

I had all IPhones... and all gone without missing nothing. But My PrPrPr $continue$ $with$ $me$ $in$ $all$ $time$, $in$ $all$ $moments$...

Numbers is beautiful in a Math lesson... but in real world, the subjective is more important.

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    TUFF Stough, barryb20 and vgg like this.
    the jailbreak window may have already passed for iphone 5. if so, it will be a tough choice, losing customization and gaining some apps.
    I have the apps on my iphone 5 but don't use them so much--its the customization that was key.

The LTE also helps.
    Four: almost fully abandoned is nonsense. There are still supported apps and there are still new apps coming. Sure, we don't get the big titles anymore but abandoned doesn't mean that we need big titles, that means 'no apps and support' and that's simply not true.

Still, I'm interested in this test
    "...Yesterday, I saw a listing on Ebay for a Pre3 for $135 and I figured I'd give that a shot, as I like the phones and the operating system. After buying it.. ..I asked him what he'd sell me the iPhone5 for since I'd bought the Pre3 and he sold it to me for $435..."

So you have $570 'worth' of phones there.. please don't forget to also take your initial individual purchase prices into account when you do your 'test' then!

Hehe!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  6.    #6  
    I should receive the phones tomorrow. I asked the seller if he preferred the Pre3 or the iPhone5. This was his response...

"I think the Pre is actually a more solid phone. Its just unfortunate that
    more apps are not available. I also owned an HP Touchpad and it was great."
    If I had that money I would spend it buying some more backup devices. Seems like the supply of gsm pre2 is running out
  8.    #8  
    Ok, good news and bad news. The good news is that I got the Pre 3 and iPhone 5 today. I activated the Pre 3 (with a bit of hassle. I may provide some instructions later) and most seemed fine and the phone looks new. However, it appears that the volume control is non-functional.

I Googled the issue and this broken volume control thing seems to be a common problem. Inexcusable really. So if I can't get it to work, I'll try to get the seller to take it back and then iPhone5 it is.
    He should take it back if he didn't disclose the problem before. Anywas if you find can't turn up the volume there's an app called speakerphone in preware
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    He should take it back if he didn't disclose the problem before. Anyway, if you find can't turn up the volume there's an app called speakerphone in preware
    I read about that Preware, but the short of it is that if I can't get the volume to work on an essentially new phone, then I don't want the thing.

Here's how I got the Pre 3 activated, before I learned that the volume button was screwy:

Just tried to activate a Pre 3 on Verizon and ran into a snag. I couldn't sign on to my HP Palm Profile because I wasn't connected to Verizon. I couldn't get onto Verizon to dial *228 for activation because I hadn't signed into the Palm Profile.

I checked here and I saw all sorts of stuff about using this software or that software, but there's actually a very easy way to do it without any extra software, which I'll cover. Maybe others have already discussed this, but I didn't easily find it, so I'll leave the info here in case someone else is searching for the answer.

1. Visit Cell Phones - Smartphones: Cell Phone Service, Accessories - Verizon Wireless and sign in.

2. Select the option to change your phone to a different one. Click on the photo of your old phone, hit next, then enter the ID of the Pre 3 (it's on the box).

3. At this point, it will tell you to dial *228, but you won't be able to do so. Instead pick up the phone, click on the telephone icon in the lower right corner and then click on "Emergency Call".

4. Backspace so that you clear the 911 which already populated. Instead type in ##000000 and then send.

5. Change Mobile Directory Number and also Mobile Station ID to your phone number. Save and exit.

By now, you should have noted the 3G icon is now on the phone and you should be good to go. Sign into your profile, allow it to restore, update your passwords and such. Your phone will probably work at time but you might need to call Verizon to flip a switch so that *228 will work.
  11.    #11  
    Unfortunately, the defective Pre 3 is on the way back to the seller, so iPhone it is.

I think Web OS is a superior operating system that's also easier to use. Shame that they discontinued it. If the Pre 3 worked properly, there's a reasonable chance I would have used it instead of the iPhone. Oh well. Still have my Pre 2 which is a pretty good phone, so I can always switch back if I can't get used to the iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by stockjock View Post
    Unfortunately, the defective Pre 3 is on the way back to the seller, so iPhone it is.

I think Web OS is a superior operating system that's also easier to use. Shame that they discontinued it. If the Pre 3 worked properly, there's a reasonable chance I would have used it instead of the iPhone. Oh well. Still have my Pre 2 which is a pretty good phone, so I can always switch back if I can't get used to the iPhone.
    at least you sent it back to the seller, likely he broke it and wanted to shift it to someone who may not notice or someone who wouldnt complain and sort it themselves.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Any suggestions for an inexpensive Verizon plan for the Pre3?
    Quote Originally Posted by stockjock View Post
    Ok, good news and bad news. The good news is that I got the Pre 3 and iPhone 5 today. I activated the Pre 3 (with a bit of hassle. I may provide some instructions later) and most seemed fine and the phone looks new. However, it appears that the volume control is non-functional.

I Googled the issue and this broken volume control thing seems to be a common problem. Inexcusable really. So if I can't get it to work, I'll try to get the seller to take it back and then iPhone5 it is.
    Just catching up on this thread, sorry if it's too late to help you now but I had a similar volume control problem in that the volume rocker did not work (or rather it always wanted to turn the volume down, never up). This turned out to be because the two micro switches underneath were both being pressed at the same time. The rocker was a bit too stiff which meant both buttons getting pressed. The solution I found was to use just the very tip of the rocker to get the volume to go up. Others found they could build up the ridge between the two sides to increase the rocking motion a bit.

Either way after a few months of use everything loosened up and the rocked started working properly.
  15. k w
    Quote Originally Posted by hanksimon View Post
    Any suggestions for an inexpensive Verizon plan for the Pre3?
    Page Plus Cellular is only 29.95/month with 1200 minutes, 3000 txts and 500Mb data. They have other plans with more or less data & or txts. I have the family's 4 phones on it. Three iphone4 and my Pre3. No 4G phones allowed though. Runs on Verizons network.