1.    #1  
    I finally got a Pre 3 and so far, I'm liking it. I copied all of the apps from the 2 to the 3, via the backup. Pretty much everything loaded; I've had to manually download at least one so far. The problem that I am having is that the data from each particular app did not get copied over. I tried connecting the phones via USB to my netbook, and then copied most every folder that did not have a period in front of it. Can someone please tell me how to port that data over? I do NOT want to manually create all of those records/tasks/etc over again. Some of the apps have a way to import/export data, however not all, and those happen to have a lot of data. Should I go back and copy the folders with periods in front of the folder name? Is there a web doctor that can fix this dilemma?

Thanks...
    Quote Originally Posted by mpcollins View Post
    I finally got a Pre 3 and so far, I'm liking it. I copied all of the apps from the 2 to the 3, via the backup. Pretty much everything loaded; I've had to manually download at least one so far. The problem that I am having is that the data from each particular app did not get copied over. I tried connecting the phones via USB to my netbook, and then copied most every folder that did not have a period in front of it. Can someone please tell me how to port that data over? I do NOT want to manually create all of those records/tasks/etc over again. Some of the apps have a way to import/export data, however not all, and those happen to have a lot of data. Should I go back and copy the folders with periods in front of the folder name? Is there a web doctor that can fix this dilemma?

Thanks...
    mpcollins,

There is a homebrew app (Save/Restore) which is used to backup some applications data and then you copy the zips it creates on the usb drive to the new device then, restore your data on the new device using that app.

However, it does not cover every app, only select apps, and it does not seem to be updated (several people created scripts but none of those have been included into a newer version, I am attempting to get the app owner to do it, but Rod also stated there is a github repo somewhere I can update, so if you use save/restore and find an app that is not available let me know).

You can also use developer tools to copy the entire encrypted file system (.palm is under /media/internal and it gets mapped to /media/cryptofs)... There are threads on how to do it (Linux techie, command line, or even GUI browser from Palm SDK/PDK).
    Last edited by John Steffes; 05/10/2013 at 09:38 AM.
    As John says, SaveRestore is your friend. Most of the main apps are covered, certainly all the ones I use where I have any important data I want to preserve.

Basically,
    1) fire up the app on the old phone,
    2) run SaveRestore and save all your settings
    3) copy the SaveRestore directory onto the new phone
    4) run SaveRestore on the new phone and restore all your settings

Some apps are a little touchy and you will need to fire them up and initialise before running the restore (e.g. SplashData).

I have used this to backup my phone between hard resets, a replacement device and an upgrade from Pre- to Pre3, no trouble at any stage - it's a great app.
    If your old phone didn't wipe itself from being dissociated, it's possible to export app data via some command line stuff and import them into the Pre 3. I don't have any instructions (haven't done anything like that myself), but I'm sure it can be done, with some effort. Instead of interfacing with MojoDB, try doing things directly with BDB.
  5.    #5  
    hmmmm...

GMMan, I've still got my Pre 2 sitting right in front of me right now. I'll be keeping that close at hand until everything has been ported over to the 3.

Guys, I've been in the mainframe business for almost 3 decades now, so a lot of what you are telling me is somewhat Greek to me. I'm just now getting around to learning C# lol. I tried to go through all of the steps to get Classic running some time back, and finally gave up.

Ok, I just Googled Save/Restore, so I have something to start with. I'll probably also try contacting some of the programmers or company's, like TealPoint, to see if they have some method set up to migrate their data, in case I can't get that to work.

I'll let you know what I come up with. Thanks. I don't suppose that I can bug you again if I get stuck, can I?
    Quote Originally Posted by mpcollins View Post
    I'll let you know what I come up with. Thanks. I don't suppose that I can bug you again if I get stuck, can I?
    I can not speak for anyone else, but if you ask, someone will answer, and if you want help from me one can also PM.

So my answer is yes I will always try to help, getting data off of one device to another, is easy as long as you understand the tools to use.
  7.    #7  
    While I was reading up on how to use Preware, I inadvertently made my Pre 2 reset itself, so I lost what was on it. Fortunately, I had made a backup of the 3, after I had copied a good deal of the folders over from the 2, for another move I was about to try, so that I could put everything back if I needed to (which I did). Because of that, I had a lot of my data saved, in folder .app-storage. I copied them over but was not able to access them immediately. I wound up creating a new DB by entering in some data, deleting that file and renaming the old file to that new name. There were only three that I was not able to save, TealSpeed, TealSafe and TaskMaster. Unfortunately, those were the three that I needed/wanted the most. I sent an email to Tealpoint and they told me that WebOS controls where those apps store data, so I was pretty much screwed in trying to save that data. A short time back, I had exported my TealSafe tables, so I have something of a source to work with. I am assuming that TaskMaster does the same thing. I didn't want to keep those task lists anyway lol. I still need to learn how to use Save/Restore. Thanks for everyone's help!