Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
  1.    #1  
    New to the Pre 3? Exisiting user of the Pre 3 who wants some delicious patches, speed tweaks and feature enhancements? Here's some stuff to get you started!

Part 1 - Kick it up a notch!

Over time I've tested a lot of opimization patches and tweaks and stuff and here's what makes it snappier and faster without eating up your battery.

-First of all: Uberkernel. IMHO, Uberkernel is what HP should've shipped with the 2.2.4 update (minus the overclocking part of course). It's fast, it's stable, it's stock with the needed optimizations and fixes. After installing, reboot when asked.
    -Then install EOM Overlord Monitoring.
    -Set logging to minimal: open up the dialer and dial ##5647# (if you're on a branded ATT/VZW Pre 3) / ##5647 or #*5647# (if you're on an unlocked Pre 3). From there you can set the logging to minimal. Reboot your Pre 3.
    -After you did that, you can also install the Muffle System Logging patch if you want but setting it to minimal already helps a lot.

Rest of the patches to install:
    -Buttah - It really makes things snappier.
    -Immediately load high resolution - Speeds up the image loading.
    -Mojo FPS Booster - Speeds up the device and makes things snappier.
    -Mojo Smooth Scrolling - Improves the scrolling by a lot.
    -Mojo Tap Responsiveness - Makes tapping in Mojo apps snappier.
    -No Auto Refresh After Idle - Makes the browser faster to use after idling.
    -Unthrottle Download Manager - Makes downloading in the browser faster.
    -ImageView Hi-Res Zoom - Zooms faster on high-res images.
    -Remove Dropped Packet Logging
    -Quiet powerd Messages
    -Unset CFQ IO Scheduler

Part 2 - Features, features, features!

This part is optional but it does add some features that IMHO come in handy. I've tested all of these patches over a long time and they hardly eat battery or make everything slow (if you've done part 1 that is).
    (note: I would've included UI Scale and New Device Menu but Choorp has made them unavailable )

Patches:

-Sync Fix for Stable Upload - Sometimes automatic backup of your device fails, this fixes the behavior to try the backup again after it fails instead of waiting for the next scheduled one.
    -Google Sync Behaviors Patch - Fixes syncing with the Google servers
    -Ubercalendar - If you use the calendar a lot then Ubercalendar adds a lot of extra features to the calendar. You can tweak the features via the Preferences & Accounts menu item. (P.S.: also install UberCalendar Multilingual Localization if you use a language other than English)
    -Messenger Mega Mix - Adds a few much needed things to the Messaging app like a character counter and a shortcut to send a message and a few other features.
    -Sharing Super Mix - If you're a guy or girl who uses their social network a lot then you really want this patch. It adds various sharing options to the app menu of the web browser.
    -Uber Cycling Email Dashboard - This adds automatic cycling of e-mail notifications so you can swipe away invidual e-mail notifications.
    -More Contact Phone Types - Adds more phone types (like fax and company for example) to choose from when you create a new contact or edit an existing one.
    -Move Quick Actions Up - If you're a user who does more actions with Just Type then searches then you want this patch. It moves the quick actions up so it first shows quick actions, then search options.
    -webOS Scrollbars - Adds much needed scrollbars to various apps.
    -Save Playlist in Stock Music Player - This one speaks for itself.
    -Add Skype Invisible Messaging Status - This one also speaks for itself.
    -Facebook calendar timezone fix - If you use Facebook in your calendar then this fixes the time issues.
    -Export Call History - Speaks for itself.
    -Battery Percent and Horizontal Icon - Adds the battery percentage to the top bar
    -Reverse number lookup multi-country - So you can look up who's calling you if you don't know who's number it is.
    -Email Mega Mix - Adds some much needed features to the E-mail app.
    -GPS Icon On Top Bar - Adds a GPS icon to the top bar when GPS is on.
    -Turn the dialpad tones off - Speaks for itself.
    -Capture with Volume Keys - Capture a picture with the camera using the volume keys. Comes in handy when you're taking a picture of yourself with the back camera
    -Hold Tap Context Menu (the one with the email icon and the one with the web icon) - Adds context menu options when you hold down on a link or picture.
    -GSM 3G GPS and Brightness in Device Menu - Adds some needed fast options to the device menu (top right). Only use if you have a GSM version of the Pre 3, otherwise install the individual Brightness and GPS patches or sconix's advanced ones.
    -Advanced patches by sconix - Install the ones you think you need (mind the ATT/VZW ones, those are only for ATT/VZW). I personally install the ones for E-mail, Messaging, System Prefs, Phone Prefs and Advanced System Behaviour.
    -Add Move to Folder Button - Speaks for itself (it's for the E-mail app).
    -AM-PM Indicator in Top Bar - If you use AM/PM time.
    -Flashlight in Device Menu - Speaks for itself.
    -Set Avatar in Messaging - So you can set your avatar in Messaging.
    -Multi Mod - Adds some hotkeys for navigation in the browser and displays the URL bar also in landscape mod.
    -Video Camera Flashlight - Adds an option to capture video with the Flash constantly on. Useful for capturing video in dark areas.
    -Private Browsing - Adds a private browsing option to the web browser.

Enjoy your Pre 3!
    Last edited by Vistaus; 05/08/2013 at 05:20 AM.

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Vistaus likes this.
    I've been meaning to properly setup my Pre3.

I was wondering if there was some kind of Pre 3 Optimisation thread and logged in today to find:

Is there a master PRE3 Optimization thread?

Don't bother clicking it, because like me, you'll end up here!

Just what I was looking for! ;-)

I'm sure I'll have questions to follow...
    Vistaus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    New to the Pre 3? Exisiting user of the Pre 3 who wants some delicious patches, speed tweaks and feature enhancements? Here's some stuff to get you started!

Part 1 - Kick it up a notch!

Over time I've tested a lot of opimization patches and tweaks and stuff and here's what makes it snappier and faster without eating up your battery.

-First of all: Uberkernel. IMHO, Uberkernel is what HP should've shipped with the 2.2.4 update (minus the overclocking part of course). It's fast, it's stable, it's stock with the needed optimizations and fixes. After installing, reboot when asked.
    -Then install EOM Overlord Monitoring.
    -Set logging to minimal: open up the dialer and dial ##5647# (if you're on a branded ATT/VZW Pre 3) / ##5647 (if you're on an unlocked Pre 3). From there you can set the logging to minimal. Reboot your Pre 3.
    -After you did that, you can also install the Muffle System Logging patch if you want but setting it to minimal already helps a lot.

Rest of the patches to install:
    -Buttah - It really makes things snappier.
    -Immediately load high resolution - Speeds up the image loading.
    -Mojo FPS Booster - Speeds up the device and makes things snappier.
    -Mojo Smooth Scrolling - Improves the scrolling by a lot.
    -Mojo Tap Responsiveness - Makes tapping in Mojo apps snappier.
    -No Auto Refresh After Idle - Makes the browser faster to use after idling.
    -Unthrottle Download Manager - Makes downloading in the browser faster.
    -ImageView Hi-Res Zoom - Zooms faster on high-res images.
    -Remove Dropped Packet Logging
    -Quiet powerd Messages
    -Unset CFQ IO Scheduler

Part 2 - Features, features, features!

This part is optional but it does add some features that IMHO come in handy. I've tested all of these patches over a long time and they hardly eat battery or make everything slow (if you've done part 1 that is).
    (note: I would've included UI Scale and New Device Menu but Choorp has made them unavailable )

Patches:

-Sync Fix for Stable Upload - Sometimes automatic backup of your device fails, this fixes the behavior to try the backup again after it fails instead of waiting for the next scheduled one.
    -Google Sync Behaviors Patch - Fixes syncing with the Google servers
    -Ubercalendar - If you use the calendar a lot then Ubercalendar adds a lot of extra features to the calendar. You can tweak the features via the Preferences & Accounts menu item. (P.S.: also install UberCalendar Multilingual Localization if you use a language other than English)
    -Messenger Mega Mix - Adds a few much needed things to the Messaging app like a character counter and a shortcut to send a message and a few other features.
    -Sharing Super Mix - If you're a guy or girl who uses their social network a lot then you really want this patch. It adds various sharing options to the app menu of the web browser.
    -Uber Cycling Email Dashboard - This adds automatic cycling of e-mail notifications so you can swipe away invidual e-mail notifications.
    -More Contact Phone Types - Adds more phone types (like fax and company for example) to choose from when you create a new contact or edit an existing one.
    -Move Quick Actions Up - If you're a user who does more actions with Just Type then searches then you want this patch. It moves the quick actions up so it first shows quick actions, then search options.
    -webOS Scrollbars - Adds much needed scrollbars to various apps.
    -Save Playlist in Stock Music Player - This one speaks for itself.
    -Add Skype Invisible Messaging Status - This one also speaks for itself.
    -Facebook calendar timezone fix - If you use Facebook in your calendar then this fixes the time issues.
    -Export Call History - Speaks for itself.
    -Battery Percent and Horizontal Icon - Adds the battery percentage to the top bar
    -Reverse number lookup multi-country - So you can look up who's calling you if you don't know who's number it is.
    -Email Mega Mix - Adds some much needed features to the E-mail app.
    -GPS Icon On Top Bar - Adds a GPS icon to the top bar when GPS is on.
    -Turn the dialpad tones off - Speaks for itself.
    -Capture with Volume Keys - Capture a picture with the camera using the volume keys. Comes in handy when you're taking a picture of yourself with the back camera
    -Hold Tap Context Menu (the one with the email icon and the one with the web icon) - Adds context menu options when you hold down on a link or picture.
    -GSM 3G GPS and Brightness in Device Menu - Adds some needed fast options to the device menu (top right). Only use if you have a GSM version of the Pre 3, otherwise install the individual Brightness and GPS patches or sconix's advanced ones.
    -Advanced patches by sconix - Install the ones you think you need (mind the ATT/VZW ones, those are only for ATT/VZW). I personally install the ones for E-mail, Messaging, System Prefs, Phone Prefs and Advanced System Behaviour.
    -Add Move to Folder Button - Speaks for itself (it's for the E-mail app).
    -AM-PM Indicator in Top Bar - If you use AM/PM time.
    -Flashlight in Device Menu - Speaks for itself.
    -Set Avatar in Messaging - So you can set your avatar in Messaging.
    -Multi Mod - Adds some hotkeys for navigation in the browser and displays the URL bar also in landscape mod.
    -Video Camera Flashlight - Adds an option to capture video with the Flash constantly on. Useful for capturing video in dark areas.
    -Private Browsing - Adds a private browsing option to the web browser.

Enjoy your Pre 3!
    Just as a note, on my phones, you have to dial #*5647# not ##5647# in order to access logging settings.
    sshaka likes this.
    every Pre 3 owner needs to read this! Thanks for compiling this OP
    Vistaus likes this.
    #*5647# not ##5647#
    #* for GSM phones and ## for CDMA phones. Work this way since my Treo 650...

-Email Mega Mix
    There is some problems in Pre 3: show no buttons inside the emails, but works well in older Pres...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Great job man
    N'est regards

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Vistaus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    #* for GSM phones and ## for CDMA phones. Work this way since my Treo 650...
    Yep, yep... And many confuse the two from time to time...

Here's more: WebOS Hash Codes - WebOS Internals
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Vistaus and Rnp like this.
    Alright, I've whined elsewhere about the missing first keystroke on wake. Finally biting the bullet and giving UberKernel a go, though kernel mods never did much for me on the Pre 2. But especially now that TMC errors are getting a bit out of hand on the Pre 3 lately. Not just the browser, but repeated open/close of Ndrive get it all jammed up as well.

Thanks!
    Big help!!! Thanks for a great thread!!! This is so helpful!!!
    El Sendero del Samurai: Lealtad, Paz Interna, Paciencia y Meditar a los pies de Buda

Samsung Galaxy S4 + Root / HP TouchPad 4G + CM10 / iPod Touch 5 + Jailbreak 6.1.3
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Alright, I've whined elsewhere about the missing first keystroke on wake. Finally biting the bullet and giving UberKernel a go, though kernel mods never did much for me on the Pre 2. But especially now that TMC errors are getting a bit out of hand on the Pre 3 lately. Not just the browser, but repeated open/close of Ndrive get it all jammed up as well.

Thanks!
    Doesn't fix the 'missing first keystroke' for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbode View Post
    Doesn't fix the 'missing first keystroke' for me.
    Yeah, didn't do it for me either. Jury's still out for me on UberKernel in general.

But hey, how do I get back regular old webOS scrolling? I thought I'd try some of the scrolling patches. Now in the browser, for example, it doesn't coast nearly as far when I give it a good flick. It'll go down a fixed amount with each flick, regardless of "flick strength," then stop short. Maybe it stuttered once in a while before, but I preferred the old way it scrolled.

Tried removing all the patches that said anything about "scrolling" in the descriptions, but the browser didn't go back to normal...?
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I would highly recommend the A-1 Skyraider kernel as it adds the Lagfree governor. Feels very responsive. Still doesn't fix missing first keystroke.
    And a workable VKB (Portrait-only so far though): [PATCH] Virtual Keyboard

1). Download & Install:
    'Enabling Keyboard on Pre3.Patch'
    via dragging to WOSQI window, then 'Install' button.

2). Download 'VKB-1.1.6'.
    Using WOSQI 'Send File':
    Send file to /

3). Using WOSQI 'Linux Command Line':
    Type: /VKB.sh and press Enter.

4). Luna Restart.

Done!

*Replaces* 'Wave Launcher' - so activate by slooow Up-swipe.
    Really handy for quick online password entries etc. - without sliding HKB.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 05/12/2013 at 07:10 AM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    cbosdell and Vistaus like this.
  15.    #15  
    I would highly recommend the A-1 Skyraider kernel as it adds the Lagfree governor. Feels very responsive. Still doesn't fix missing first keystroke.
    But how is the battery life with it (especially with patches installed)?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    But how is the battery life with it (especially with patches installed)?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    i had issues with the a1 kernel which i didnt fix in the end, it was stable enought to use etc, it was just my govnah settings would get lost or vanish totally after a reboot or more later (even forcing the default mode via modeswitcher ended up not working with the required govnah profile vanishing eventually), i went back to uberkernel and some of the options from a1 seemed to have carried over to uberkernel, no idea if they are really at work or just say they are while defaulting to a normal setting tho.

if someone has a perfect running a1 and has their govnah settings and more running perfectly id be interested in hearing about it as well, it would be worth doctoring to try and fix my issue, atm its nto that big a deal that id want to start over from scratch.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I've not had any battery issues with A1, until recently: Standard battery issues. But I don't think that's anything to do with A1 (May try changing). I have 2 Lagfree 1700 profiles set up, one with default settings (Comp Swap enabled, VR and Westwood) and one with the Comp Swap disabled. When I select the one with Comp swap disabled, after reboot, the one that sticks is the one with Comp swap enabled.
  18.    #18  
    I've not had any battery issues with A1, until recently: Standard battery issues. But I don't think that's anything to do with A1 (May try changing). I have 2 Lagfree 1700 profiles set up, one with default settings (Comp Swap enabled, VR and Westwood) and one with the Comp Swap disabled. When I select the one with Comp swap disabled, after reboot, the one that sticks is the one with Comp swap enabled.
    I wasn't talking battery health, I was talking battery life. As in: how long on a daily basis can you use the Pre 3 with A1 as the kernel? A work shift? A whole day? Somewhere in between of worse than a work shift?
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Never noticed any problems with battery life. Two days, but then I have my phone in Aeroplane mode at work.
  20.    #20  
    Never noticed any problems with battery life. Two days, but then I have my phone in Aeroplane mode at work.
    Alright, will try it out then.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast