Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Vistaus
  • 2 Post By Vistaus
  1. tacroy's Avatar
    Posts
    169 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
       #1  
    I've have my pre3 for a while now and the memory issues are annoying, and it occasionally feels much slower than my pre2. So after a recent doctor, which sped things up quite a bit, I wanted to see if there was a "best way" to speed up the pre3, avoid most memory issues and slow down.

    I figure all the standard logging disabiling applies.

    I found a few old posts about patches that disable compache but didn't really end with a "this is good" or "this is bad". Also, there was some discussion about changing it to the linux memory swap methods. But again didn't see a resolution.

    So is there a "the is typically the way to make a pre3 more awesome" thread or list somewhere that my forum skills are missing?

    thanks!
    Check out Paper Basketball Plus! A toss it / paper toss style game with achievements, timed mode, moving targets and more! Buy 1 app, use it on pixi / veer / pre / touchpad all in full resolution! It's neat. I swear. For reals.

    http://bit.ly/moZYOq
  2. #2  
    This is most commonly a problem with 8GB/500MB Ram EU models and you won't get it feels better then the Pre2 (at least i couldn't).

    But best way for me was to get UberKernel which prevented at least the TMC and had ability to overclock a bit. But every now and then it slowed down extremely and a full reboot was necessary.

    I don't know about a unified "make my webOS device fast, NOW" thread. It is too much "feeling" in all those measures.
  3. tacroy's Avatar
    Posts
    169 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
       #3  
    In this thread
    Phone seems to run a lot smoother with Compcache disabled

    rmausser talks about a few patches. Touch Response Patch, disable compcache and enable linux swap.

    I'm not seeing those in preware, are they someplace special?
    Check out Paper Basketball Plus! A toss it / paper toss style game with achievements, timed mode, moving targets and more! Buy 1 app, use it on pixi / veer / pre / touchpad all in full resolution! It's neat. I swear. For reals.

    http://bit.ly/moZYOq
  4. #4  
    i dont think theres an "end all" main thread on pre3 maintenance and speedups, they tend to be spread around in various posts about seperate issues that got fixed or people werent sure due to differences of results per person.

    would be nice to have one tho, again tho its hard to tell when we each have different factors to take into account.

    battery drain due to signal str/area/facebook and email polling settings/abc/xyz etc, theres also a huge difference in "core" patches, theres basically the ones who use sconix's advanced patches combined with whatever works after its installed and people who dont use sconix's patches but use various similar ones, leaving near vanilla purists as the 3rd.

    im not sure how we would structure a main page for tips/advice/etc given the multitude of results possible, tho it would be nice having such a thing, the touchpads had plenty of tinkering threads, not so much the pre3
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  5. tacroy's Avatar
    Posts
    169 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
       #5  
    I guess I view sconix's patches as more "Customize" patches than "Optimization" patches.
    I figure that "Optimization" thread could be pretty analytical and measured in fps, battery life numbers, and response times. Where as "customization" is more about "I like this new option" or "I like it to work this way" and is much more personal preference.

    ?
    Check out Paper Basketball Plus! A toss it / paper toss style game with achievements, timed mode, moving targets and more! Buy 1 app, use it on pixi / veer / pre / touchpad all in full resolution! It's neat. I swear. For reals.

    http://bit.ly/moZYOq
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by tacroy View Post
    I guess I view sconix's patches as more "Customize" patches than "Optimization" patches.
    I figure that "Optimization" thread could be pretty analytical and measured in fps, battery life numbers, and response times. Where as "customization" is more about "I like this new option" or "I like it to work this way" and is much more personal preference.

    ?
    with regards to optimisation, some of the customisation patches "could" lead to better battery life or slightly more, its the only reason i mentioned sconix's patches and the similar single ones that do a similar job as a "customization" patch could end up also unintentionally being an optimization one, then theres the case of stability when using or not using any of the above.

    probably why we dont have as many pre3 guides, its a hard thing to guage, unless someone has found a magic medium of all things good and wants to throw up a post on what they installed and why.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by tacroy View Post
    In this thread
    Phone seems to run a lot smoother with Compcache disabled

    rmausser talks about a few patches. Touch Response Patch, disable compcache and enable linux swap.

    I'm not seeing those in preware, are they someplace special?
    Those are in Preware on both my Touchpad and Pre 3. I've tried those patches more than once on both my Pre 3 and Touchpad but battery life is way worse after installing those patches. Only Buttah (which is kinda like the smooth touch patch by rmausser) is quiet battery friendly. But disabling compache and Linux swap both sucked battery like a demon (and the disabled compcache even made my Pre 3 (not my TP) slow as hell).

    @geekpeter: I'll look into creating such a post since I've experimented quiet a lot with all those patches and stuff.
    Mutoidi likes this.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Those are in Preware on both my Touchpad and Pre 3. I've tried those patches more than once on both my Pre 3 and Touchpad but battery life is way worse after installing those patches. Only Buttah (which is kinda like the smooth touch patch by rmausser) is quiet battery friendly. But disabling compache and Linux swap both sucked battery like a demon (and the disabled compcache even made my Pre 3 (not my TP) slow as hell).

    @geekpeter: I'll look into creating such a post since I've experimented quiet a lot with all those patches and stuff.
    it would be a great start point, tho im guessing this reply you just made which stated you experienced slowdowns with the patches in question, you will end up with others swearing blind a different result which is where "the more the merrier" could help find out why this is.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  9. #9  
    That is true though
  10. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by tacroy View Post
    I've have my pre3 for a while now and the memory issues are annoying, and it occasionally feels much slower than my pre2.
    I think the pre2 was the multitasking king. I opened up over 70 cards just to see and it was still useable. Couldn't even get to 20 on the Pre3 due to its memory disadvantage.

    When I last doctored my pre3 I decided not to install govnah/UK and it worked just fine. But I did notice that some games, especially supersonic didn't play as smoothly.

    Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

Similar Threads

  1. Themes by madolen: Master thread
    By madolen in forum webOS Themes
    Replies: 227
    Last Post: 12/23/2015, 06:42 AM
  2. How To Install/Remove Themes: Master Thread
    By slinkster213 in forum webOS Themes
    Replies: 176
    Last Post: 03/21/2012, 07:40 AM
  3. searching for master icon thread
    By slinkster213 in forum webOS Themes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10/21/2009, 03:17 PM
  4. Ivan's themes master thread
    By ivan1.ruiz in forum webOS Themes
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10/15/2009, 10:58 AM

Posting Permissions