Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1.    #1  
    Did anyone ever get "classic" to work on the pre 3?
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    What is classic?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
    What is classic?
    The app that lets you use palm apps. Its in the app catalog.

chatopus_classic.jpg
    palm-os-classic.jpg
    Smartphones: Nokia 5230 > Palm Pre 2 > Nokia 701 (returned) > HP Pre 3 > BB Z10 (save me from it) + HP Touchpad
    Cars: 1993 Subaru Impreza AWD > 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
    Twitter: MatthewMers
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    +1 for this question; I'd love to hear more regarding Classic's current status.
    Classic in it current state for Pre3, although it is available for Palm Pre, Palm Pixi, HP Veer, Palm Pre2, HP Pre3 (https://developer.palm.com/appredire...ps.app.classic), does not work once installed on the Pre3, as the web browser is scaled up 1.5 the MotionApps Plug in does not know how to handle this Scaling...

Where there is a will there is a way, I got Classic to work by using Enyo and SDL Hybrid App, using the code from the WOCE to invoke Pre mode on the Pre3, now as my Enyo version of Classic is based on their source Mojo version of Classic I can not release it (copyright issues), and because I use the WOCE to invoke Pre Mode I have tweaked the frameworks (from Touchpad) and my Pre3 no longer scales it is now scaling at 1.0 not 1.5 (things are a lot smaller), but I can not release this hacked mess at this time... But where there is a will there is a way, many people have looked at the Classic source (binary plug-ins, brought over from Pre2 webOS 2.0.1 source), and the existing Mojo Version...

Maybe someone can figure out how to make the Classic Mojo and Binary bits work with existing Frameworks of the Pre3, I could not... (also tried the Frameworks from Pre2 webOS 2.2.4, but it was easier to upgrade to webOS 3.0.5 frameworks then merge not scaling Pre2 frameworks)...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 05/01/2013 at 12:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Classic in it current state for Pre3, although it is available for Palm Pre, Palm Pixi, HP Veer, Palm Pre2, HP Pre3 (https://developer.palm.com/appredire...ps.app.classic), does not work once installed on the Pre3, as the web browser is scaled up 1.5 the MotionApps Plug in does not know how to handle this Scaling...

Where there is a will there is a way, I got Classic to work by using Enyo and SDL Hybrid App, using the code from the WOCE to invoke Pre mode on the Pre3, now as my Enyo version of Classic is based on their source Mojo version of Classic I can not release it (copyright issues), and because I use the WOCE to invoke Pre Mode I have tweaked the frameworks (from Touchpad) and my Pre3 no longer scales it is now scaling at 1.0 not 1.5 (things are a lot smaller), but I can not release this hacked mess at this time... But where there is a will there is a way, many people have looked at the Classic source (binary plug-ins, brought over from Pre2 webOS 2.0.1 source), and the existing Mojo Version...

Maybe someone can figure out how to make the Classic Mojo and Binary bits work with existing Frameworks of the Pre3, I could not... (also tried the Frameworks from Pre2 webOS 2.2.4, but it was easier to upgrade to webOS 3.0.5 frameworks then merge not scaling Pre2 frameworks)...
    I am curious to know how you did this! Now, theoretically, anything that involved their code, you could write a patch or script to handle. For instance, a pmPostInstallScript could merge their bits with yours. That way, you can release all of your code, but not theirs. If you aren't using their code verbatim, then you are probably safe.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Vistaus, Remy X and sshaka like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    I am curious to know how you did this! Now, theoretically, anything that involved their code, you could write a patch or script to handle. For instance, a pmPostInstallScript could merge their bits with yours. That way, you can release all of your code, but not theirs. If you aren't using their code verbatim, then you are probably safe.
    I took the woce code and created a 640x480, sdl app that uses the pre screen with black all around... Then used Enyo to draw a fix window 320x320 and assigned the plug in to that, capturing all the output into enyo... Using touchpad frameworks, my app bypasses the licenses key checks (one reason I can't release) but I remove the pre3 frameworks and replaced with touchpad, was a hacked mess... If I got motionapps and palm (who motionapp gave all the rights to) approval, I would figure a way to reproduce, I did this on the device, no scripts, no patches, just trial and errors... Copying and deleting files/frameworks... Modifying as my pre3 is just a developer device not my daily phone I can always doctor it if I break the frameworks...

also the phone no longer scales, I reconfigured the browser to scale 1.0, instead of 1.5, including Luna ... The frameworks are all from webOS 3.0.5....

Would be a Super hacked meta doctor script for Pre3... Maybe someday... Still need to script webOS 2.2.5 for AT&T Pre3 and WR Pre2...No time...
    Vistaus and Proximity like this.
    Fascinating stuff! I'd love to have Classic, but I was too late to get a license. I wonder if anyone has a license they could sell on? Unless it's tied to a device Serial number or something. I don't know how it works.

The app still sits on my phone, waiting to one day spring to life...
    ...maybe I should start a petition for Motionapps/Palm/HP/LG or who ever actually owns the rights to Classic to sell me a license!
    I took the woce code and created a 640x480, sdl app that uses the pre screen with black all around... Then used Enyo to draw a fix window 320x320 and assigned the plug in to that, capturing all the output into enyo... Using touchpad frameworks, my app bypasses the licenses key checks (one reason I can't release) but I remove the pre3 frameworks and replaced with touchpad, was a hacked mess... If I got motionapps and palm (who motionapp gave all the rights to) approval, I would figure a way to reproduce, I did this on the device, no scripts, no patches, just trial and errors... Copying and deleting files/frameworks... Modifying as my pre3 is just a developer device not my daily phone I can always doctor it if I break the frameworks...

also the phone no longer scales, I reconfigured the browser to scale 1.0, instead of 1.5, including Luna ... The frameworks are all from webOS 3.0.5....

Would be a Super hacked meta doctor script for Pre3... Maybe someday... Still need to script webOS 2.2.5 for AT&T Pre3 and WR Pre2...No time...
    Yeah. The scaling, in my investigation, seems to be what breaks it. The Motion Apps plugin expects a surface size of 320xsomething, but gets 480... If I was better at disassembling and such, I would hunt out the "320" and replace with "480".
    Did you know:

Yeah. The scaling, in my investigation, seems to be what breaks it. The Motion Apps plugin expects a surface size of 320xsomething, but gets 480... If I was better at disassembling and such, I would hunt out the "320" and replace with "480".
    That is the big issue it wants 320x320 and should get 320x320, it is not high-res, the palmos kernel that is part of the binary bits from webOS 1.4.5.x does not understand anything above 320x320, so it must be in a 320x320 frame, because it does not know how to draw it seem to be the issue, hence the reason I forced a Pre screen (from WOCE), as the plug in now thinks it is on a Pre, it works fine...

Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Fascinating stuff! I'd love to have Classic, but I was too late to get a license. I wonder if anyone has a license they could sell on? Unless it's tied to a device Serial number or something. I don't know how it works.

The app still sits on my phone, waiting to one day spring to life...
    PM me concerning a License I have three not sure how I could sell you one...

Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    ...maybe I should start a petition for Motionapps/Palm/HP/LG or who ever actually owns the rights to Classic to sell me a license!
    Many have asked, but I have never heard of anyone getting a response... let us know if you get a response?
    Last edited by John Steffes; 05/02/2013 at 06:46 AM.
    What a great new comrades!!! Palm OS still has many useful applications like the medical software!!!

If you are able to run Classic on the HP Pre 3 am willing to make a donation!!!
    El Sendero del Samurai: Lealtad, Paz Interna, Paciencia y Meditar a los pies de Buda

Samsung Galaxy S4 + Root / HP TouchPad 4G + CM10 / iPod Touch 5 + Jailbreak 6.1.3
    That is the big issue it wants 320x320 and should get 320x320, it is not high-res, the palmos kernel that is part of the binary bits from webOS 1.4.5.x does not understand anything above 320x320, so it must be in a 320x320 frame, because it does not know how to draw it seem to be the issue, hence the reason I forced a Pre screen (from WOCE), as the plug in now thinks it is on a Pre, it works fine...
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "from WOCE". WOCE is a designator for some components that can be compiled for webOS 3.0.5; primarily LunaSysMgr. Can you please elaborate on this step?
    Did you know:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "from WOCE". WOCE is a designator for some components that can be compiled for webOS 3.0.5; primarily LunaSysMgr. Can you please elaborate on this step?
    LunaSysMgr (WOCE) code has a Palm Pre emulation mode, when a Phone App (Classic) is launched on the Touchpad it creates a Palm Pre emulation mode window, used that code on the Pre3...
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Dear John Steffes and dkirker,

would it be possible to get your "enyo classic container framework" running as a "floating dashboard-app" like Tweet Viewer by MachiApps on the Touchpad? Could it be released as a "launcher app", so it's in the users hands to install Classic (via AppTuckerbox) and the Classic-Bits from 2.0.1 beforehand?

Kind regards,
    Proximity
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximity View Post
    Dear John Steffes and dkirker,

would it be possible to get your "enyo classic container framework" running as a "floating dashboard-app" like Tweet Viewer by MachiApps on the Touchpad? Could it be released as a "launcher app", so it's in the users hands to install Classic (via AppTuckerbox) and the Classic-Bits from 2.0.1?

Kind regards,
    Proximity
    Proximity,

I can not release my enyo Classic, it was hacked designed from copying lots of things over from the touchpad on to a Pre3 (no script was used, it was trial and error), and then it works with the SDL app (which was designed around Classic) to handle the responses from the Browser Plug in, it also bypasses the license checks as this was intended for my own personal use (although I do have 3 licenses, of which I do not use all three, but only one at a time). Unless I got permission from Palm/Motion Apps, I would be violating their copyrighted code (I started from their Classic Mojo version) and publishing something without written permission is against the law in the USA... Sorry...

Thanks,
    John
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I can not release my enyo Classic, ...
    Thank you for your answer,

I'm fully aware that you can't release your trial and error dump as is, due to the things you stated above.
    I'm just curious if the possibility exists to get it running on a Touchpad outside of the big PrPrPr&#$275$; $emulation$ $card$, $as$ $this$ $seems$ $to$ $be$ $scaling$ $too$. $And$ $having$ $already$ $tinkered$ $with$ $the$ $WOCE$ $code$, $you$'$re$ $way$ $ahead$ $of$ $me$.

I have the idea of a floating classic notification and will try it out once I've got some time. I think I'll start right away with googling what a SDL app is (only native and PDL apps are known to me jet).

Thanks again for your answer and have a great start into the weekend.

cheers,
    Proximity
    Last edited by Proximity; 05/03/2013 at 09:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximity View Post
    Thank you for your answer,

I'm fully aware that you can't release your trial and error dump as is, due to the things you stated above.
    I'm just curious if the possibility exists to get it running on a Touchpad outside of the big PrPrPr&#$275$; $emulation$ $card$, $as$ $this$ $seems$ $to$ $be$ $scaling$ $too$. $And$ $having$ $already$ $tinkered$ $with$ $the$ $WOCE$ $code$, $you$'$re$ $way$ $ahead$ $of$ $me$.

I have the idea of a floating classic notification and will try it out once I've got some time. I think I'll start right away with googling what a SDL app is (only native and PDL apps are known to me jet).

Thanks again for your answer and have a great start into the weekend.

cheers,
    Proximity
    Proximity,

A SDL and uses a Linux Standard Direct Layer to talk to the hardware, most games on webOS are SDL, as they need to handle their own direct draw routines, LunaSysMgr's is compiled code, used to create the Palm Pre emulator, if you wanted to do that yourself, you would want to either submit updates to LUNACE to change the Palm Pre emulator, or you can create your own SDL app for the touchpad using the code in the LunaSysMgr, but making it float.

Palm's PDK (Palm Development Kit, wraps tools, libraries, and hooks into xcode for mac or visual studio for windows) to allow one to cross compile...

WebOS Internals has a lot of documentation on SDL apps, even how to create the DOOM game...
    LunaSysMgr (WOCE) code has a Palm Pre emulation mode, when a Phone App (Classic) is launched on the Touchpad it creates a Palm Pre emulation mode window, used that code on the Pre3...
    Thank you sir.
    Did you know:

can someone help me to get it working on my touchpad?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast