Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Seeing the Giveaway of WebOS Nation of the Pre 3(drooling over my keyboard looking at the pic of the device, wishing to win one but really is that I won't), it's been tempting to make the jump into getting the device full price online. While I owned a Pre 2 device which still holds up pretty well and looks good in mint condition(no scratches of any kind)...one of the biggest thing has always tempted me to a Pre 3 device it's the larger 3.6 display (with 480 x 800 pixels) more so than my current Pre handset. Plus it runs on the last update (which supports Bluetooth text message with the TouchPad) that WebOS were able to deliver via OTA v2.2.4.

I wanted to seek the opinions of users that owns a Pre 3 device, to give me suggestions after a months of usage with the device either as back-up/daily drivers. Are reports of Pre 3 issues of reboots/failure of the microphone/too many cards.... has it affected everyone or some users in particular? Does the Pre 3 has more software/hardware failures than the Pre 2 ? Will it be all worthy update for me to shell out money for a Pre 3 or should I stick with my Pre 2 instead ?
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    Seeing the Giveaway of WebOS Nation of the Pre 3(drooling over my keyboard looking at the pic of the device, wishing to win one but really is that I won't), it's been tempting to make the jump into getting the device full price online. While I owned a Pre 2 device which still holds up pretty well and looks good in mint condition(no scratches of any kind)...one of the biggest thing has always tempted me to a Pre 3 device it's the larger 3.6 display (with 480 x 800 pixels) more so than my current Pre handset. Plus it runs on the last update (which supports Bluetooth text message with the TouchPad) that WebOS were able to deliver via OTA v2.2.4.

I wanted to seek the opinions of users that owns a Pre 3 device, to give me suggestions after a months of usage with the device either as back-up/daily drivers. Are reports of Pre 3 issues of reboots/failure of the microphone/too many cards.... has it affected everyone or some users in particular? Does the Pre 3 has more software/hardware failures than the Pre 2 ? Will it be all worthy update for me to shell out money for a Pre 3 or should I stick with my Pre 2 instead ?
    I had a Pre+, then a Pre2 with Verizon and now a Pre3, I can confirm the larger screen and the 2.2.4 are very nice. The Pre3 also doesn't have the GPS issue the Pre2 had. My only software issues are the browser related, I almost never use the browser as it seems to slow the Pre3 to a crawl, even overclocked. I assume it's a memory thing, I have almost the whole 16GB filled. Mine is my daily driver (and I have a backup Pre3), the hardware is much better, in terms of quality and feel. The camera is better and has auto focus, which is nice. I find the Pre3 crashes/luna restarts less than the Pre2. Minor annoyance having to modify some apps that don't scale properly.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    The Pre2 can run webOS 2.2.4 (even Verizon, meta doctor scripts), there are also scripts to import webOS 2.2.4 Bluetooth stack on webOS 2.1.0 (even Verizon Super scripts for webOS 2.1.0 which include webOS 2.2.4 Bluetooth modules)...
    Very happy with my EU Pre3, which I run overclocked to 1.7Ghz. Never seen TMC and almost never crashes. The larger screen and higher resolution are nice. And as mentioned, the auto focus camera is a plus. I don't have an issue with the browser.
    Johncc, can you say your setting to Govnah/Uberkernell?

I always stay lost with this...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Biggest issue is no support for 16-bit character sets for input.
    Siobhán

Palm III, Treo 600/650/680/750, Pre, Pre3, AT&T Pre3, tp 4G, tp 64GB.

I am an HP Employee. I am not associated in anyway with the development of webOS or associated devices. Opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent HP or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP or Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Johncc, can you say your setting to Govnah/Uberkernell?

I always stay lost with this...

Best Regards...
    I just use the standard OnDemandTcl 1690 profile. No change to Advanced Settings. I think that I may have had some problems using the highest frequency, so I dropped the speed down. I am going to try 1.9 again and see how I go. I'll report back on that.
    The bigger screen and keyboard are great.

I think Broncot's issues with the browser is mostly a memory problem. As you probably know a large portion of the Pre3's memory is stolen by the Qualcom modem so effectively it has less available for the OS than the Pre2. My browser often performs poorly on resource hungry web pages and I find I need to manually reboot fairly often to keep it running fast.

I have only got the 8GB EU version. I'm not sure the 16GB version was ever released over here. This is one of the things I miss most about my Pre2.
    Certainly no official 16GB version here. I have used my 8GB version in the UK since a few days after launch. I had a launch day (UK launch) PreMinus before that and keep that as my backup and use as a MiFi when I travel in Europe just popping in a local prepaid SIM.

I don't get any serious problems and run the standard kernel. I will be very sad when I finally have to let it go as I just don't find iOS or Android as pleasant to use. I'm still hoping that there will be a viable alternative by then but it's looking less and less likely. The keyboard is a delight to use and there really isn't anything like it available these days unless you go to BB.
    I've had my pre3 for about 18 months now and its my first webOS device so I can't really compare it to the previous line of pre phones.
    So from my perspective, I can say this:
    It is a really nice device to hold in the hand. The pebble shape and 3.6" screen sits nicely. It feels solid, even though there is a little bit of play in the slider but I think that is normal with slider phones. I like to think I treat my phone nicely though. My gf slams the slider shut =/
    My phone runs nicely and it does everything I want it to do (I don't need a billion apps etc), though the stock music player is rather poor. I've had it crash a couple of times though mind, most recently yesterday when the music player got stuck and my phone couldn't do anything including turning it off and on again. I left it alone for about ten minutes and it seemed to free itself up so I'm not sure what caused it.
    My gf's pre3 has a proximity sensor fault though which causes her phone to hang after a phone call.

edit: I wish the battery life was better though, it'll barely last a day if I'm on the wifi or 3G for about half an hour.
    Last edited by maninwhitecoat; 04/30/2013 at 05:43 AM. Reason: note for battery life
    I think the pre3 is a good upgrade from any other webOS phone myself. If you are careful with ram usage its fast and does quite a lot. The screen, camera, keyboard are much improved over other webOS phones. If the pre3 have 1gb of ram it would be perfect but if you are super careful with ram use you can get it to do most anything...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I have moved over to other platforms, went to Android and now I am with iOS. It is comfortable and more coherent than Android. But I still miss that Pre.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    My Pre 3 has been my only phone for 1.5 years now. No regrets. My insurance policy?...a BNIB Pre 3 in my closet. Screen and keyboard are MUCH better than the Pre/Pixi/Veer lines. Display is great, but there are some modest scaling issues from time to time. Some apps wont work correctly, but most will.
    My only recurring issue is running out of memory and having to reboot now and then, but that's nothing compared to issues with the original Pre (e.g., spontaneous reboots when opening the slider!).
    The Pre 3 is the most polished and most solid webOS phone. If only they had released it before the Veer. If only...
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    I have been using a Pre2 for a couple of years, and tried a Pre3 earlier this year. As with my pre2, the calendar sync with gmail had problems and I couldn't get it to sync consistently. Deal breaker for me so I returned it. Back to the pr2 and it has started having issues with this as well, even after a trip to the Doctor.

So, I will be trying out the HTC One. It is a little big, but still feels good in the hand. I'm looking forward to faster speeds though, and again, being able to count on good syncing (hopefully). Also looking forward to the better camera.

I'll report on how that goes.
    I'm so glad you asked this question.

While I've, of course, used my share of 'feature phones' in the past, my sole experience with smartphones has been a Treo 680 and my HP Palm Pre 3. And I think there was a Nokia in my past, but it was just a passing fancy.

True, the 2" screen on the Treo left much to be desired, but I still love feeling it in my hand and pressing those proud, pert buttons. Even if it is just to retrieve info from my address book since the sync function with my computer ceased working long, long ago.

My 8 month experience with the Pre 3 has been great. The screen (the part that is actually used by an app) is crisp and bright. It hops between apps (the few that are available) quickly. The call quality is very good.
    And the keyboard and feel-in-the-hand are almost as satisfying as the old Treo.

But being as anti-trendy as I am, one of the most endearing qualities of my Pre 3 is experienced when someone says 'what is that???' And I tell them it's an HP. And they say 'HP doesn't make phones'. And I tell them they're right.

My overall experience is very positive. Admittedly, I've been a Palm-flavored koolaid drinker from Palm Pilot 1000, Palm III, Tungsten T3, Handspring Visor Prism, Treo 600, Treo 680 until now. I was even ready to buy a Folio. oops.

I laughed when Apple cancelled their stupid Newton. And if the perennial Palm management and ownership misteps had not occurred over the last 17 or so years, I'd be laughing at all the iPhone sheeple. But I can't.

So I just grip that gorgeous, soft body and fluidly slide up that smoooooth slider. And type (cause there's no talk to text) on those decadently tactile little keys. I love my Pre 3 and I'll get another one if this one breaks.
    I've been using my Pre 3 now for 18 months (well, I'm on my backup Pre 3 now, 1st one got wet and when it dried out everything worked fine except the wifi). I am running the uberkernel, running the OnDemandTcl 1690 setting in the Govnah app. Battery life with the uberkenel setting works fine for me, I can go all day and still have plenty of battery left (usually still in the 70's). If you have a Pre 3, IMO, it is the way to go. I originally had a Sprint Pre and the Pre 3 is a nice upgrade with it's bigger screen and keyboard and faster processor. The shame about the Pre 3 is that Palm wanted to release this phone in June of 2010 but due to lack of funding they put it on the back burner and it was then released in 2011 after HP bought Palm. Well thanks to Leo, the rest is history.
    Quote Originally Posted by revtskillings View Post
    I have been using a Pre2 for a couple of years, and tried a Pre3 earlier this year. As with my pre2, the calendar sync with gmail had problems and I couldn't get it to sync consistently. Deal breaker for me so I returned it. Back to the pr2 and it has started having issues with this as well, even after a trip to the Doctor.

So, I will be trying out the HTC One. It is a little big, but still feels good in the hand. I'm looking forward to faster speeds though, and again, being able to count on good syncing (hopefully). Also looking forward to the better camera.

I'll report on how that goes.
    Did you try the patch?
    Siobhán

Palm III, Treo 600/650/680/750, Pre, Pre3, AT&T Pre3, tp 4G, tp 64GB.

I am an HP Employee. I am not associated in anyway with the development of webOS or associated devices. Opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent HP or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP or Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by siobhanellis View Post
    Did you try the patch?
    I'm assuming you mean the sync behaviors patch. Yes, I tried that. Maybe there is something up with my google account, but I just can't spend much more time fiddling with it. I don't know how android will work out, hut I do love the idea of having "cutting edge" hardware. I will miss the smaller form factor and pebble feel.
    Hi,

Pre 3 is my daily driver, this is my second after having a release day Pre 3 then moved towards bigger screen devices. Had ALL (and I mean all) the other OS's but came back to the Pre 3 and webOS again.

There is something about the Card system and gesture area and hell even the font that is just well nice. And as mentioned feels great in the hand.

Not got the latest apps, check
    Not been updated in a long time, check (PreWare not included)
    No new hardware, check

Feels so good using it that makes any negatives irrelevant, absobloodylutely!

Barry
    johncc likes this.
    i use my pre3 as my daily driver and find it performs very well. its fast, battery life is good and does everything i need it to. The one thing that it does do to annoy me is to drops calls for no reason - My Pre2 also did this, but much worse. Seems to be on calls 30 minutes or more - its not a network issue as i have never had the same issue on my HTC or Nokia phones previously.

other than that, have no hesitation recommending buying one
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast