Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
  • 3 Post By bobslegg
  • 1 Post By ToniCipriani
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Hello everyone, I have a Pre 3 with damaged SIM socket pins, one is completely broken and the other is bent. Does anyone know of a replacement socket that is compatible with the Pre 3 chipset?
    Every Pre3 I have seen/heard of with damaged pins was just sold as is, might want to check marketplace for an otherwise broken Pre3 for a good SIM slot to swap. I have in the past seen some folks part out a borked Pre3, might want to search for that and see if anyone still has the SIM slot floating around.
    Rnp likes this.
    Maybe here: Pre3 Parts

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Thanks for digging up a link Rnp!
    Rnp likes this.
    Hi,
    I changed my sim carrier on my pre3. I found a compatible support (Blackberry CURVE 9360 9650 9370) on ebay. Very very very difficult to weld. Tip: there are only 6 to 8 soldering! (2 bottom can not be welded)
    Sincerely,
    Rnp, RumoredNow and Remy X like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobslegg View Post
    Hi,
    I changed my sim carrier on my pre3. I found a compatible support (Blackberry CURVE 9360 9650 9370) on ebay. Very very very difficult to weld. Tip: there are only 6 to 8 soldering! (2 bottom can not be welded)
    Sincerely,
    This is VERY interesting... I should get one and revive that spare Pre 3 I have.

Found one here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sim-MicroSD-...item1c315cf82a
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 07/17/2013 at 05:33 PM.
    Rnp likes this.
    As for the two points that couldn't be soldered... I think it's actually reflow soldering.

Home reflow SMD soldering

Basically put the SIM slot on with the solder paste and solder, then run it through an oven. Probably some lower temperature solder to prevent the PCB from melting.

Any electrical engineers care to chime in?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    If you try it Toni I wanna see the results.... interesting
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    @ToniCipriani

From what i've heard, for rework some people use a pre-heater from underneath, with a hot air tool above

For assembling prototype boards from scratch, solder paste and a certain kind of toaster oven seem to be popular... there's a lot of info on that for anyone who cares to search
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    If you try it Toni I wanna see the results.... interesting
    I do know a friend who knows a thing or two about soldering, but he's probably busy or maybe even out of town these days.

More YouTube digging showed me this:

I think solder paste and hot air might be the answer... but I don't have a hot air soldering station. Quick search on Amazon, that station costs about the same as a Pre 3 itself...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Hi,
    There is no need to solder hot air or oven! if you solder the 6 pin from the top deck and the mass, the Pre3 work like mine! ,
    @ ToniCipriani: The support is exactly the same,
    A +