1.    #1  
    We are off to China for a few weeks in June, and I am trying to determine if my AT&T Pre3 will work there. I've taken it to the UK and to Germany, where I was able to buy a local SIM Card and call/text for a very reasonable outlay of cash.

Does anyone know if I can do the same thing in China? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by dhkeller View Post
    We are off to China for a few weeks in June, and I am trying to determine if my AT&T Pre3 will work there. I've taken it to the UK and to Germany, where I was able to buy a local SIM Card and call/text for a very reasonable outlay of cash.

It depends on your AT&T phone has been unlocked or not, no problem to use in China if unlocked. you can buy a
    China Mobile(GSM) card in any magzine shop, 50, 100 Yuan in RMB.

Should work fine! I had my Veer with me last year in Shenzhen and no problems! Could get proper 3G and local sim cards are cheap!

Just make sure to buy a GSM sim card and no CDMA! China Unicom = GSM. China Mobile = CDMA if I recall correctly.

Just make sure your AT&T Pre 3 has the sim lock removed. You can use Dogbert's method (Google for Dogbert Palm Unlock) to unlock it for free
  4.    #4  
    Appreciate the replies. Now, I'll have to see which web services and websites are accessible from China! ... I know Twitter is out, but I expect gmail and others to work. Thanks!
    China Mobile = GSM 2G only
    China Unicom = HSPA (works with 2100 on the Pre 3)
    China Telecom = CDMA.

So you would want the Unicom card for the best experience.
    可以在中国正常使用,而且可以正常使用
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    China Telecom = CDMA.

that's correct, I'm Chinese, so I think you'd better use China Unicom if you want better network surfing exerience. but you'd better NOT pick the sim card at a magzine shop. I suggest you go to the nearby Unicom office to get a sim card with a network package about 50MB for month or 100MB for month, sine the package is cheap, about 10 RMB to 30 RMB respectively while without package, the charge is high.

I have had a pre 2, a good phone indeed, but with virtually serveral apps in Chinese, I have to chansfer to an android one.

about apps, tweeter and facebook are prohibited, gmail is not, while youtube is. you surely can open the app Catalog to check other apps in China.

good travel experience!
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

China Telecom = CDMA.

that's correct! I'm a Chinese, So if you want a better network surfing experience, I'd suggest China Unicom as the operation.

But you'd better NOT pick a sim card at a magizine shop, better drop by nearby Unicom office to get one with a package for 50 MB or 100MB A month, or ask somebody (chinese) call the hotline to do so. Since the package is cheap, about 10 RMB to 30 RMB respectively, while charges for outside-package flow is high.

About apps, tweeter and facebook is prohibited in China, along with youtube, but you surely can check gmail or other email fine.

good news is you can certainly open the Apps Catalog and preware to check softtwares.

I used to have a Pre plus, a good phone indeed, but with virtually several Chinese apps, I have to transfer to android platform.

hope you have a good travel experence in China!