Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By creepingmee
  • 1 Post By dkirker
  1. MrPsychlo's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
       #1  
    I've been on Sprint since 2009 with a Pre and now a FrankenPre2. The new Tmobile Simple Choice plan tempted me to buy an unlocked Pre3 off ebay. TMobile offers three sizes of sim card
    1. SIM Card
    2. Micro SIM Card
    3. Nano SIM Card

    Which one does the Pre3 use?

    Thanks
  2. duo31's Avatar
    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    #2  
    1 regular sim
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPsychlo View Post
    I've been on Sprint since 2009 with a Pre and now a FrankenPre2. The new Tmobile Simple Choice plan tempted me to buy an unlocked Pre3 off ebay. TMobile offers three sizes of sim card
    1. SIM Card
    2. Micro SIM Card
    3. Nano SIM Card

    Which one does the Pre3 use?

    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by duo31 View Post
    1 regular sim
    Yep Yep. Regular SIM which is also called "Mini SIM."

    Are you in an area T-Mobile has refarmed to have 3G/H+ run on the 1900 MHz band??? http://www.airportal.de/ Otherwise, you will only get EDGE data speed with a Pre 3.

    I just switched over to the T-Mo Simple Choice plan, but I also switched phones to a 1700 MHz capable device. I will say data speeds have been consistently good for the two weeks I've been on the plan. I believe refarming will be complete sometime this summer. Don't quote me on that one...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
    ananimus likes this.
  4. MrPsychlo's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Yep Yep. Regular SIM which is also called "Mini SIM."

    Are you in an area T-Mobile has refarmed to have 3G/H+ run on the 1900 MHz band??? Sightings of T-Mobile 3G/4G/HSPA+ coverage on 1900MHz (PCS/UMTS band II) Otherwise, you will only get EDGE data speed with a Pre 3.

    I just switched over to the T-Mo Simple Choice plan, but I also switched phones to a 1700 MHz capable device. I will say data speeds have been consistently good for the two weeks I've been on the plan. I believe refarming will be complete sometime this summer. Don't quote me on that one...
    The new Pre 3 actually got delivered late yesterday after my post. Taking the back off it's easy to see now its the regular SIM card but it's nice to have that verified.

    My first impression of the Pre 3 is that pictures just don't do it justice. It feels just as solid as my Pre 2 with a more refined look. I know it's been said many times before but if Palm had only come out with the Pre 2 or Pre 3 first instead of that plastic Pre we might be having a complete different conversation here today. I've had my Pre 2 for maybe 1.5 years and it's still as solid as when it was new. My original Pre on the other hand was falling apart within months. I'm sure the powers at Palm that decided plastic instead of glass had their good reason but dang what an unfortunate mistake.

    Anyways, I'm in the north Dallas area so I hope this is an upgraded TMobile area. If it's not, I can wait as it will be no worse than what I have now on Sprint. As I said, my Pre 2 is still solid but I feel like I'm just pissing away $ on Sprint.
    Last edited by MrPsychlo; 04/14/2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: typo
  5. #5  
    LOL... With their unlimited data plans Sprint really jammed up their EVDO network with a lot of users.

    According to the map it looks pretty solid around the I-75 corridor for you to have H+ on T-Mo. You may want to monitor if you get a lot of 3G/2G switching back and forth as that will drain your battery pretty fast...

    Enjoy the Pre 3 and the switch to GSM.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  6. #6  
    Of course, you can use a micro-sim or nano-sim, with an adapter... (I did this with my T-Mobile and AT&T SIMs so that I can can switch them between phones.) But! I would use a small drop of glue to hold the SIM into an adapter. I've used it with this adapter: Amazon.com: for iPhone 5 Nano SIM Card Adapter Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

    If the SIM slides out, and the adapter gets stuck, you have to slide something between it and the contacts, or you can bend the SIM contacts out.
    Did you know:

    webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    If the SIM slides out, and the adapter gets stuck, you have to slide something between it and the contacts, or you can bend the SIM contacts out.
    Yep, that's exactly what I did with my first Pre 3... The SIM converters on ebay from Noosy work really well though.
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Of course, you can use a micro-sim or nano-sim, with an adapter... (I did this with my T-Mobile and AT&T SIMs so that I can can switch them between phones.) But! I would use a small drop of glue to hold the SIM into an adapter. I've used it with this adapter: Amazon.com: for iPhone 5 Nano SIM Card Adapter Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

    If the SIM slides out, and the adapter gets stuck, you have to slide something between it and the contacts, or you can bend the SIM contacts out.
    No, no, no, no, no... don't use any adapters in Sim Cards.

    I has many problems with this adapters, resulting in broken pins. Believe me, is a very bad option.


    Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    No, no, no, no, no... don't use any adapters in Sim Cards.

    I has many problems with this adapters, resulting in broken pins. Believe me, is a very bad option.


    Best Regards...
    Oh, I have too. I have too... If you understand how to prevent it, then using adapters is fine. Since I tend to switch my SIMs around, and devices seem to be making this trend to smaller SIM sizes, an adapter is necessary....

    Actually (I need to go look, in a meeting now), I think the battery pull tab could be used as an adapter to remove a "stuck" adapter. You basically need to just slip something thin under the adapter to push the pins and let the rest of the adapter slip out. I find this happens of the micro/nano SIM slips out on insert or removal. A dab of light glue helps with keeping the SIM in (probably DON'T want to use super glue, but something tacky).

    Of course... I should probably point people to the sticky thread about SIM adapters in the Pre3 forum.
    Did you know:

    webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Oh, I have too. I have too... If you understand how to prevent it, then using adapters is fine. Since I tend to switch my SIMs around, and devices seem to be making this trend to smaller SIM sizes, an adapter is necessary....

    Actually (I need to go look, in a meeting now), I think the battery pull tab could be used as an adapter to remove a "stuck" adapter. You basically need to just slip something thin under the adapter to push the pins and let the rest of the adapter slip out. I find this happens of the micro/nano SIM slips out on insert or removal. A dab of light glue helps with keeping the SIM in (probably DON'T want to use super glue, but something tacky).

    Of course... I should probably point people to the sticky thread about SIM adapters in the Pre3 forum.
    I use a micro sim in my pre3 without an adapter. It works fine. The only phone that I would say requires an adapter is the veer and to be honest i ruined a veer with my adapter. After that, I never used the micro on a veer again, but on any of the pre and the pixi line, i just match up the pins when i slide it in and no adapter is needed, works perfectly.
    Rnp likes this.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    I use a micro sim in my pre3 without an adapter. It works fine. The only phone that I would say requires an adapter is the veer and to be honest i ruined a veer with my adapter. After that, I never used the micro on a veer again, but on any of the pre and the pixi line, i just match up the pins when i slide it in and no adapter is needed, works perfectly.
    That's not a bad route! I decided I didn't want to worry about bumping it loose, though. :/
    Did you know:

    webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Rnp likes this.
  12. #12  
    I have this adapter, had to get one because Bell forced me on it when I got an S3 for flipping: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-Original...onvert-kit-for -Sony-Xperia-iPhone-4S-/120973472649

    It works just fine. Your card does get a bit sticky if you try to remove it from the adapter, but I've removed and inserted the card with an adapter many times and no bent pins.

    And yes this adapter works with the Veer with no damages, I tried.

Similar Threads

  1. unlocked SIM card on Pre3
    By wenwenwen4444 in forum HP Pre 3
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10/07/2011, 07:09 PM
  2. Twinbill sim card not working on Pre3
    By hamiller in forum HP Pre 3
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09/25/2011, 04:53 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09/12/2011, 05:07 PM
  4. Question about the Veer & Pre3 and a SIM card!
    By ilovedessert in forum HP Veer
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06/18/2011, 01:57 PM
  5. Question about SIM Card and SIM Card Door
    By bigmdime in forum Palm OS Devices & Apps
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11/19/2002, 10:02 PM

Posting Permissions