Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I am an android user who had a recent affair with Blackberry Z10 and waiting for Q10. I always had an eye on webOS phones starting with original Pre but never had a chance to own one.
    couple of weeks ago I saw a Pre 3 on eBay for $150 and decided to satisfy my long time curiosity. All I can say is WOW! what an amazing device. I have not touched my Nexus 4 since I got this little beauty and I might even postpone my plans to buy a Blackberry Q10. This is a great hardware and I LOVE the UI. it is so intuitive that I felt at home in two days.
    All I can say is that a bunch of dumb CEOs destroyed such an amazing platform with so much potential because they didn't have the vision to realize what a brilliant product they have in their hands. Such a shame.
    Hi draftex,

We just wish others had tried it out earlier on to experience the same thing. Once people try it and see how amazing and intuitive the OS is they tend to say the same thing - "wow". Could have been a different story for Palm and HP with more people simply trying it.
    Rnp, kataran and jrb363 like this.
    Welcome to club!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    comments like these make me love my pre3 again and again!
    Global Posts
    287 Global Posts
    Never got a chance to try the Pre 3. I'm with Sprint. I scored the Pre on launch say an convinced 6 other to drop the iPhone 3gs for it.

Then I got kicked to the curb with the HTC EVO when the Palm walls came crashing down.

I still think this software had so much potential. I go all the way back to the Palm pilot and 'beaming' messages across the office.

Yeah, I'm corny...
    had the Pre & now use the Veer as my regular phone
    never had a Pre 3, but have been tempted
    I got my Mom a Galaxy III S and used it a great deal to set it up & as a backup after my Veer took a nasty spill
    no question that WebOs is a vastly superior cellphone OS
    I am hoping LG pairs it with a pukka device
    WebOs is sooooo elegant
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    *sigh* I miss webOS, a lot. My Pre 2 is still in my drawer but it was subject to a rather nasty fall which made it harder to use as a daily driver. I'm on T-Mobile and with their spectrum refarming I'm constantly tempted to pick up an unlocked Pre 3 but I'm so worried about the lack of warranty support should something go wrong. I've loved the OG Pre, Pre Plus, Pixi Plus, and Pre 2. Such a great OS. I wish that Palm name was around again.
    The pre3 is the bomb! No phone out there right now is better for me. I would love to have a faster phone, but until their os software improves I'm all about the pre3.
    Quote Originally Posted by ashykat View Post
    *sigh* I miss webOS, a lot. My Pre 2 is still in my drawer but it was subject to a rather nasty fall which made it harder to use as a daily driver. I'm on T-Mobile and with their spectrum refarming I'm constantly tempted to pick up an unlocked Pre 3 but I'm so worried about the lack of warranty support should something go wrong. I've loved the OG Pre, Pre Plus, Pixi Plus, and Pre 2. Such a great OS. I wish that Palm name was around again.
    You should try a pre3. Mine is really quick on tmo here in the chicago area a lot of the refarming is done and im on 3g most of the time. I usually get 5-8mb on tmo with either my pre3 or my veer. If you buy an AT&T pre3 or veer either one is easy to unlock via dogbert's method here:

Dogbert's Blog: Free Unlocker for Palm/HP Phones

cheers!
    MartinH@webos likes this.
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    You should try a pre3. Mine is really quick on tmo here in the chicago area a lot of the refarming is done and im on 3g most of the time. I usually get 5-8mb on tmo with either my pre3 or my veer. If you buy an AT&T pre3 or veer either one is easy to unlock via dogbert's method here:

Dogbert's Blog: Free Unlocker for Palm/HP Phones

cheers!

Thanks for that method. I was actually just scouring eBay after my first post wondering about unlocking methods for the Pre 3. I'd really like one, but again I have a hard time shelling out $150-$200 for a phone with no support against manufacturing defects. I've thought about picking up a Veer too but I really want the more spacious keyboard of the Pre 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by ashykat View Post
    Thanks for that method. I was actually just scouring eBay after my first post wondering about unlocking methods for the Pre 3. I'd really like one, but again I have a hard time shelling out $150-$200 for a phone with no support against manufacturing defects. I've thought about picking up a Veer too but I really want the more spacious keyboard of the Pre 3.
    Build quality on the Pre3 seems really good actually, so you'd be very unlucky to score one with any manufacturing 'defects' straight out of the box!

I recently disassembled mine to check on an observation that the slider mechanism was 'catching' on the volume switch ribbon-cable, but found the cable securely still in position with it's self adhesive backing.. I also then applied a very small amount of high temperature lithium grease to the slider channels and it is now super-smooth in all respects!

Yes the KB is very nice, positive, well back-lit and with a usefully discernable raised-key feel.

Last edited by Mutoidi; 04/10/2013 at 05:38 AM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artichoke View Post
    ...I am hoping LG pairs it with a pukka device...
    I had to go to the Googlesphere to understand that one.

Pukka - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Me as well...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Isandunk, jrb363 and carancha like this.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by draftex View Post
    I am an android user who had a recent affair with Blackberry Z10 and waiting for Q10. I always had an eye on webOS phones starting with original Pre but never had a chance to own one.
    couple of weeks ago I saw a Pre 3 on eBay for $150 and decided to satisfy my long time curiosity. All I can say is WOW! what an amazing device. I have not touched my Nexus 4 since I got this little beauty and I might even postpone my plans to buy a Blackberry Q10. This is a great hardware and I LOVE the UI. it is so intuitive that I felt at home in two days.
    All I can say is that a bunch of dumb CEOs destroyed such an amazing platform with so much potential because they didn't have the vision to realize what a brilliant product they have in their hands. Such a shame.
    I have a Nexus 4 and I am thinking of trying the Pre 3 as well. I have an old Pre+ on 1.4.5 but my main issue was the browser; it was too much pinching and scrolling to read a basic website. A year ago I had a TouchPad as well.

I was wondering what your experience was like going from the excellent Chrome browser to the WebOS browser. Are most websites readable without having to pinch and zoom constantly (do the sites run in mobile view or desktop)? Typical websites I view are all Mobile Nations sites, The Verge, Amazon, and eBay. Is the performance similar to the TouchPad's performance?
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Hi draftex,

We just wish others had tried it out earlier on to experience the same thing. Once people try it and see how amazing and intuitive the OS is they tend to say the same thing - "wow". Could have been a different story for Palm and HP with more people simply trying it.
    Indeed, couldn't agree more. My mum's Nokia Lumia 820 broke down after a short while of using it (it was not even two months old) but Nokia doesn't want to repair it under warranty so she has to pay to get it fixed. And since her budget it really tight she's now saving money for it. In the mean time, I lent her my Pre 3 which was gathering dust since I moved to Android (but I'll be back when her Lumia gets fixed, stupid Android!) and after a few days of using it she thinks it's really intuitive and it even made her more mobile than ever. She especially loves the Memos app and Ubercalendar's extended notification options (and MojoWhatsup and Dash Weather of course and a few games).
    I wonder how she'll react when she gets her Lumia fixed... I wonder if she'll be longing back for webOS since she fell in love with it.

Also, since my parents' previous tablet broke down I got them a second-hand Touchpad off of Ebay last week and they love it too! (my dad got a little sneak peek before on my Touchpad that I dearly love so he knew what he was getting)

@Beacio_mo: It's usable but not the best browser. But I'm solving that because I'm bringing a modern web browser to the Pre 3 (URL to the topic is in my signature, a sneak peek on the Pre 3 is available on almost the last page).
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    I had to go to the Googlesphere to understand that one.

Pukka - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Me as well...
    haha just replace it with "Wicked" and you get the idea lol
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I am an ex WebOS addict having since moved to iOS. And yes I prefer iOS to the uncontrolled mess that is Android which I tried prior iOS. But nothing touches WebOS. Palm, HP etc really messed up on that one.. I imagine that me Palm Pre is still the best smartphone I ever owned..
    jrb363 likes this.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vwarp View Post
    I am an ex WebOS addict having since moved to iOS. And yes I prefer iOS to the uncontrolled mess that is Android which I tried prior iOS. But nothing touches WebOS. Palm, HP etc really messed up on that one.. I imagine that me Palm Pre is still the best smartphone I ever owned..
    Welcome to the board!
    Proud owner of a 16GB HP Touchpad since 10/26/2011!
    Proud PALM user since the Palm III in 2002
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Wlecome aboard )
    Got my Pre3 through ebay along with a Veer .
    Had some troubles while trying to unlock them so to use the App Catalog .(I can only get the free apps but thats ok)
    I belive the Pre 3 is a brilliant phone which can handle all my needs.
    Even Whatsapp is working now What else do i need.
    The only problem is the battery which doesnt last long, but other than that I am a happy owner.
    I have to agree with all your post. Webos is absolutely the best. The hardware kind of sucked in the original pre's but I fell in love with the the os. I see os now now like android and even the new bb10 and I'm not at all impressed. Webos had such a polish and I can only imagine the fixes they would've brought to it by now. Anyway I'm currently using and iphone 5 and am so tempted to get a pre 3. I've seen videos of it time and again and the phone looks great and build quality looks amazing. Anyway I don't know what to do. I'm still have high hopes that someone will pick up webos and do something great with it. Lets hope lg gets some vision and decides to revolutionize the market.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Literally the best invention ever. IF: the screen was 4- 4.7in , stable horizontal VKB, More Ram.
    But for the time the Pre 3 was intended for it was the perfect storm.

If they only updated the ram and cpu in every version of the phone I would have bought it over and over and over . Only new phone I feel this way about is if the Sony Xperia Z was a WebOS device as I need a better camera.

Everytime i use the thing i'm like "this is so ******* good but my 2013 expectation of hardware leaves me frustrated with its age, BUT I have not googled any new phones since a got this thing. My love for this phone is kinda creepy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast