Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    Apologies if this has come up. Search keywords for the issue are pretty generic, so having a hard time seeing if this has been discussed.

    On my Pre 3 (AT&T), I find that it very often ignores the first keyboard button press. This comes up pretty much whenever the screen's been off for a while. It doesn't seem to matter if the phone was left with the keyboard open or not. Heck, sometimes I can wake it with the power button, wait a few seconds, then start typing and it will still ignore the first letter.

    It happens so regularly it seems like it may have been an added "feature" to protect the user from accidental keystrokes. Which is unfortunate since it's extremely rare that I ever type a first character on accident. Pretty darn annoying since 80% of the time I pick up the phone, I pop the keyboard and "Just Type" something short, but some 70% of the time it skips the first letter.

    Has anyone else seen/discussed this? Any patches or hints where to look to make it stop?
  2. #2  
    underclocked the device or changed its settings at all with govnah? like using conservative mode etc?
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    underclocked the device or changed its settings at all with govnah? like using conservative mode etc?
    Nope. No kernel mods at all.

    It's not that it doesn't respond quickly. It snaps right on and does whatever. Contrast with the Pre 2 that sometimes stuttered as the screen powered on but still never missed a keypress even if it was a little slow to show it.

    For that matter, I can turn the 3 on after a long sleep, wait a few seconds, then start typing and it still skips the first letter.
  4. ggendel's Avatar
    Posts
    463 Posts
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    #4  
    I have a Verizon Pre 3 that does exactly the same thing. It is very frustrating since it happens more than times than not. I chalked it up to my use of the Warthog kernel and use the default profile in Govnah, I figured it may be sitting in a slow-clock quiescent mode and have to ramp the clock up to catch up. With it happening in your stock kernel I'm not so sure any more.

    There is one other anomaly that happens for me. I use my Google Talk number to forward to both my pre and my home line. If I pick up on the home line, I get a big white "notification" on the pre that is a pain to remove. I usually have to turn off and then on the device before I can swipe it away.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
  5. #5  
    my veer does the same thing so I guess it is a web os problem.
  6. #6  
    I've noticed it a few times...
    Try raising the minimum frequency in Govnah to 245 or 368Mhz?
    That may allow a speedier 1st key stroke 'wake up'?


    TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  7.    #7  
    No Govnah. Not a slow wake up.
  8. #8  
    well known issue since at least 2.2.0:
    Initial keystrokes broken after 2.2.4 OTA?

    together with this: - "types" the first three characters but does only "search" for the first -

    hhhm if ithink about it, the second prob got better since some weeks or so on my Pre2 - where i deinstalled Sconix "device menu patch" to have Garret92Cs "New Device Menu" installed. But this can't really be the cause...
  9. #9  
    Happens all the time, along with some letters getting double typed as well. Really fun when trying to enter passwords. But I still love my webOS.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  10. #10  
    I have the same thing on GSM Pre3, but no double-typing. Sometimes doctoring has cleared this, but then it comes back. No custom kernels. No over or underclocking. Really frustrating.

    Kaido
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    well known issue since at least 2.2.0:
    Initial keystrokes broken after 2.2.4 OTA?

    together with this: - "types" the first three characters but does only "search" for the first -

    hhhm if ithink about it, the second prob got better since some weeks or so on my Pre2 - where i deinstalled Sconix "device menu patch" to have Garret92Cs "New Device Menu" installed. But this can't really be the cause...
    Ah, that's indeed the same issue in the first thread. Urgh! No fix. Unless it really is startup lag.

    It really doesn't seem like that though. Because as I think on it, I want to say I've turned on, tapped an SMS notification, had that window come up, then gone to reply. Even after all that the first letter is missing sometimes (but rarely).
  12. #12  
    Iv'e run into a similar problem on my Pre 2 and I fix it by unlocking the phone and touching the screen to move the cursor where you want to type and your keypad should work again.
    Verizon Pre 3. ATT HP Touchpad. Touchstone 2.
  13.    #13  
    Given what Ventus just mentioned, I note that similarly, if I pop the screen and tap it, it sometimes doesn't register the first screen tap either.

    On the Pre 2, there can be start up lag. You see it in the screen brightness coming up slowly and stuttery sometimes. The phone is altogether not responsive on occasion and you have to poke at it or wait a moment.

    For the Pre 3, there's no obvious stutter. The screen comes right on. If I pop it open and start banging away at the keyboard, it responds immediately. But it often misses the first letter. Just one letter.

    I dunno, maybe it's startup lag like the Pre 2 sometimes had, it's just much more brief and hard to notice due to beefier processor. Still seems odd to me that's it's always just that one letter. Makes my OCD twitch.
  14. #14  
    Oh boy... So, I think I noticed more about my screen tap problem, too. It seems like taps take a while to register. Sometimes, I tap the screen, it works and I am looking at the screen for a few minutes. Then, I tap somewhere else, and the tap that I had previously done repeats! I'd care less, but I have accidentally called people at 3a...
    Did you know:

    webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  15.    #15  
    Eek. That one's new. But going further down the screen tap rabbit hole, I've had it where it won't register any taps. Then if I swipe up from the gesture area (as to pull up the app drawer), it immediately recognizes screen taps again.

    Dunno if that helps. In my case a couple quick up-swipes to wake the tap-ability were better than power cycling with the button as I was doing at first.

    They're such little things, but the Pre 3 gripes on this page have me trying to remember why I don't go back to my 2.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Eek. That one's new. But going further down the screen tap rabbit hole, I've had it where it won't register any taps. Then if I swipe up from the gesture area (as to pull up the app drawer), it immediately recognizes screen taps again.

    Dunno if that helps. In my case a couple quick up-swipes to wake the tap-ability were better than power cycling with the button as I was doing at first.

    They're such little things, but the Pre 3 gripes on this page have me trying to remember why I don't go back to my 2.
    It might have been the swipe up that activated the re-flow of tap events. But whatever happened, a few were registered again...
    Did you know:

    webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  17. #17  
    My results may be different then other peoples in here but this is what has solved the problems with the phone and messaging apps for me. I have noticed that when the history has not been cleared out in the app that after a period of time the files tend to get very large and the application starts to slow down. So for example, when I tap on someone's name to send a text and there are a lot of texts and pictures in the history of that person, it takes a second for the app to fully open, hence the first letter typed not registering. By deleting the history, that resolves the issues with missed types. . Same with the phone app, when it starts slowing down I clear out the call history and that fixes the issues with the phone app.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Same with the phone app, when it starts slowing down I clear out the call history and that fixes the issues with the phone app.
    I will have to try it as my phone does the same thing. I have tried to adjust, but it still is annoying.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    My results may be different then other peoples in here but this is what has solved the problems with the phone and messaging apps for me. I have noticed that when the history has not been cleared out in the app that after a period of time the files tend to get very large and the application starts to slow down. So for example, when I tap on someone's name to send a text and there are a lot of texts and pictures in the history of that person, it takes a second for the app to fully open, hence the first letter typed not registering. By deleting the history, that resolves the issues with missed types. . Same with the phone app, when it starts slowing down I clear out the call history and that fixes the issues with the phone app.
    Yeah, I found with the Pre 2 that keeping Messenger, Phone App and Photo gallery lightweight does help. Sadly my 3 isn't that loaded yet to be the culprit. Great advice though!
  20. #20  
    I have only been using my phone since end of Jan 2013 & thought it was me b/c I'm new to smartphone/texting. The Pre3 is my 1st smartphone, wanted it because I have a TP & love webOS. Glad its not just me! It's a pain to be learning the feel of the phone & missing the 1st press of a text, then noticing it 2 lines later!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Simulate key press every x Minutes?
    By conekkted in forum Palm Windows Mobile Devices & Apps
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01/12/2009, 02:47 PM
  2. How can I turn off the key press sound?
    By brianm1002 in forum Palm OS Devices & Apps
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03/28/2007, 03:09 PM
  3. Double keyying - every key we press, we get 2?!?!!?
    By ehazuka in forum Palm OS Devices & Apps
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08/26/2005, 05:02 PM
  4. Key press responsed very slow
    By jason2046 in forum Palm OS Devices & Apps
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07/17/2005, 09:15 PM
  5. Press any key to answer calls
    By shlin220 in forum Palm OS Devices & Apps
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03/05/2005, 09:39 PM

Posting Permissions