Like Tree10Likes
  • 6 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 3 Post By fatclue_98
  • 1 Post By sledge007
  1.    #1  
    Was the HP Preł the last flagship phone announced (from any manufacturer) that had a keyboard? Curious.
    Slideout keyboard, or keyboard in general? Blackberry just released the Q10 with their new OS and a fixed keyboard.
    The Pre3 was definitely (and sadly) the last keyboard device from HP for a while.
  3.    #3  
    Keyboard in general (slideout or fixed). Seems like every other manufacturer hasn't had a "flagship" device with a keyboard since then. Just a thought, but I'm thing the Preł was the end of an era. Is the Q10 considered a flagship device? To put it another way, does BlackBerry consider the Q10 on par with the Z10?
    Quote Originally Posted by ddeigert View Post
    Keyboard in general (slideout or fixed). Seems like every other manufacturer hasn't had a "flagship" device with a keyboard since then.
    What are you talking about? Portrait keyboard? Indeed, no flagship device since the Pre 3. Slideout keyboard in general? Seems like you missed the Motorola Droid 4 boat.
    Nope. No flagship. Blackberry's been releasing them models, like the Q10 and alleged R10, but no flagships.
    The Blackberry Q10 is a flagship, just look at the specs of everything else other than the screen that is constrained by the form factor (but is still high DPI)...this one feels like it will be the last hurrah for physical keyboards...
  7.    #7  
    just to get some facts down pat on all the qwerty flagship phone I know of and their announcement dates below. Anyone know of any others? "flagship" can be defined many ways but I would imagine it would be a device with the best specs within their lineup at the timea.

1) Preł announced Feb. 9th, 2011
    2) Blackberry 9900/9930 announced May 2nd, 2011
    3) Motorola Droid 4 announced Jan. 9th
    3) Hesitant to call it a flagship, but the BlackBerry Q10 was announced Jan 30th, 2013
    Last edited by ddeigert; 04/07/2013 at 10:07 AM.
    Considering BB only released 2 devices with their new BB10 OS (1 with no keyboard and 1 with a physical keyboard) I would grant that the Q10 is a 'flagship' device for them.

If physical keyboard devices disappear for a while, you can bet on it that at some point a company releases a physical keyboard device that becomes a "new" hot concept that other companies suddenly jump on. It's all just a big wheel rolling round and round.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Considering BB only released 2 devices with their new BB10 OS (1 with no keyboard and 1 with a physical keyboard) I would grant that the Q10 is a 'flagship' device for them.

If physical keyboard devices disappear for a while, you can bet on it that at some point a company releases a physical keyboard device that becomes a "new" hot concept that other companies suddenly jump on. It's all just a big wheel rolling round and round.
    Couldn't agree more. Just look at the rabid move to stylus-centric apps and hardware.
    I laugh that just before the Pre was released everyone was panning the Treo's as 'old' tech because they still has a stylus. Looks like Samsung is riding that wheel around again!
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Since the Q10 is selling for a similar price to the SG4 and other top-tier devices, how can it be anything other than a flagship device? Especially when you consider that we already know there is a R device coming for the medium/low-end.
    Global Posts
    287 Global Posts
    Its obvious, BB Q10 will be the next keyboard flagship.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    What are you talking about? Portrait keyboard? Indeed, no flagship device since the Pre 3. Slideout keyboard in general? Seems like you missed the Motorola Droid 4 boat.
    It may not have been a WP flagship device but Dell's Venue Pro was certainly their flagship and it's the best portrait keyboard phone I ever owned.
    HTC Mogul (PPC6800) for the win.
  15.    #15  
    An updated list of flagship qwerty devices since the Preł:

2) Nokia E6 announced April 12, 2011
    3) Blackberry 9900/9930 announced May 2nd, 2011
    4 Nokia n950 announced June 21, 2011
    5) Motorola Droid 4 announced Jan. 9th, 2012
    6) BlackBerry Q10 was announced Jan 30th, 2013

only one qwerty flagship in 2012?
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 04/07/2013 at 11:51 PM.
    Not to sound totally backwards, but partial physical keyboards can rock it too. Seriously think the fastest I ever typed was on a predictive T9 keyboard back in the java phone days. You know, where you would use the 10 digit pad to dial words, but only pressing keys once. Nokia had neat keyboards with two letters per key that might even be more accurate.

Just remember there were so few buttons you could easily hold the phone and one-handed type. After a couple years I could do it without looking.

Anyway, bit off topic I guess...
    Quote Originally Posted by ddeigert View Post
    An updated list of flagship qwerty devices since the Preł:

2) Nokia E6 announced April 12, 2011
    3) Blackberry 9900/9930 announced May 2nd, 2011
    4 Nokia n950 announced June 21, 2011
    5) Motorola Droid 4 announced Jan. 9th, 2012
    6) BlackBerry Q10 was announced Jan 30th, 2013

only one qwerty flagship in 2012?
    And don't forget the Dell Venue Pro. Portrait slider even.

Also, there's rumors that Motorola might release the Droid 5 later this year.
    There is another: Samsung Galaxy Relay 4G T699 on T-Mobile, but it's far from "flagship". All I can say is the specs at least doesn't suck, and does what most flagships do...

...other than doubling as a junk enlarger for those who need to compensate for something with their huge screens.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    ...other than doubling as a junk enlarger for those who need to compensate for something with their huge screens.
    like their bad eyes?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2˘ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    blackberry BB 9900 is still the best qwerty phone on the market till Q10 arrives.if you need a powerful PHONE you should consider 9900.
    it's a 9-5 device, pretty boring but also fantastic phone.