Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    I feel like I've killed a rare animal on the endangered species list - this is the beginning of the end for my PALM (screw you, HP) experience, started back with my cherished (but garish) orange Handspring Visor.

I've staunched the shedding of shards by applying screen protection (those darn bubbles!), "fixed" the need to reset after phone calls by prying off fractured glass from the proximity sensor, and sealed the gap not covered by the skin with a glue gun (only had red glue). What do you think of my handiwork/carnage?

As read elsewhere in the forum with similar gravity-induced ailments, the Pre works perfectly. Also, as read elsewhere, buying a replacement screen is simply impossible.

A shame. Android - the OS and available phone - isn't where I want it to be yet - I'll still eke out pleasure from using my decomposing Pre until I get a Nexus. Many thanks to the webOS community - I've bought and donated to too many to name here, so I'll just give a sad general wave goodbye to those still in the room as I move towards the door.

Last edited by Goyena; 03/28/2013 at 05:10 AM.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    You sir, deserve a keg of beer for your dedication
    Proud user of a Palm Pre+ on T-Mobile running 1.4.5 in New Orleans, Louisiana
    --
    Need some help getting Odamex on WebOS
    Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    I feel an Ol' Yeller moment is in your future. You deserve a webOS Nation medal of honor, though!
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    xandros9 likes this.

Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    xandros9 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    I feel like I've killed a rare animal on the endangered species list - this is the beginning of the end for my PALM (screw you, HP) experience, started back with my cherished (but garish) orange Handspring Visor.

I've staunched the shedding of shards by applying screen protection (those darn bubbles!), "fixed" the need to reset after phone calls by prying off fractured glass from the proximity sensor, and sealed the gap not covered by the skin with a glue gun (only had red glue). What do you think of my handiwork/carnage?

As read elsewhere in the forum with similar gravity-induced ailments, the Pre works perfectly. Also, as read elsewhere, buying a replacement screen is simply impossible.

A shame. Android - the OS and available phone - isn't where I want it to be yet - I'll still eke out pleasure from using my decomposing Pre until I get a Nexus. Many thanks to the webOS community - I've bought and donated to too many to name here, so I'll just give a sad general wave goodbye to those still in the room as I move towards the door.

Click to view quoted image
    I bought a Pre3 off the forum marketplace with a bad sim card slot that I intend to part out. Watch for the thread once I get it. Replacement screens are not impossible.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Goyena and xandros9 like this.
    I have one with a non working microphone, or at least, I wasn't able to get it to work at the time .. i keep meaning to have another look at it, but simply rebooting and doctoring it didn't fix it before .. although it might be easier to go with the above poster's since he'll have taken it apart already.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Goyena likes this.
    I was just about to reply saying that I sold my Pre 3 to Broncot for parts (sim card slot broke) but the screen is in mint condition, all hope is not lost!

Pictures of the screen in the following thread:
    Pre 3 16gb (For parts)
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    Hi Goyena I feel your loss.
    OTOH, If you are willing to part with it and the back cover is in good condition, I am interested on it.
    Goyena likes this.
    does this happen to be an AT&T pre3?

if so i have one ill send you, it not use to me with the modem firmware bug on 3g here

Hewball
    Goyena likes this.
    Loved the play-by-play, hate the idea of death of a legacy. Glad to see such goodwill in the community. I hope things turn out well. I did the Android thing for a few months. Now I have a Pre3 and a Veer and am loving it... along with the Touchpad that's been with me since doomsday. It still ain't worth the leap, in my estimation. Fight for what you believe in!

Alex

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    My mobile biography: Nokia 5181i & 3589i -- Motorola v60i & A630 -- Palm Treo 650, Centro, Pre Plus, MyTouch 4G Slide, Pre 2, Pre 3, Nokia Lumia 521, Veer
    jrb363 likes this.
    This thread speaks volumes about the good people here.
    I never got into webOS.
    I went from TreoPro WM to Android.
    I do admire you guys.
    Just call me Berd.
    xandros9 and jrb363 like this.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    I was just googling for "custom cut plexiglass" with not much look and I checked back to this thread - wow! At least 3 screens.

@pepebuho - I will not part with it; i love the damn thing, and this thread has given me hope.

@hewball, broncot and eblade - My Torx screwdrivers are poised and ready. I'm sending PMs. In spite of my love for webOS, I need a low price. My operations sometimes go south and we just had a 3rd baby (well, right after 72ka's, just to give you an idea of her age in "webOS time"). Yes, my Pre3 is an AT&T model.

Whatever the fate of my Pre3, my legacy continues: my daughter still has a Veer, my wife an EU Pre 3, my parents-in-law a Pre 2 AND a TouchPad we gave them for X-mas.
    I'm sorry to see that, I got some looks like your here too. I had the Luck to get two pre3 when hp makes the sale out.
    Is there no way to get a replace screen????
    I've got mine posted here: Pre3 Parts
    Waiting on the screen, Goyena's got first dibs.
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Butterfingers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cache View Post
    Butterfingers.
    are delicious
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    RumoredNow, jrb363 and boovish like this.
    PM me. My nephew bricked his Pre 3, so I can send you the screen.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Wow, this is hardcore. Really though, you should be able to ebay/craigslist up a new one. I got my Pre 3 a couple months back on CL for like $150 I think. Saw one last week for $120.

Buena suerte!
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    @KA1 - I've bought a screen from Broncot in the meantime.

@Cache, it's the fault of the Palm design team - one of the reasons why I like the Pre line is that (short of breaking the screen) you can handle it naked (the phone, not me) and it won't show wear and tear. The buttons become a bit burnished, but black plastic, even if a little scratched, still remains black.

I've been making forays into Androidistan (playing me some Ingress) with an old, old Motorola Droid haunted by the ghost touch syndrome (reflashed with Cyanogen Mod 7) and the metal case looks like it went through re-entry.

Ah well. Broncot's screen should be arriving any day now; wish me luck with the surgery. Unfortunately, my last week with CM7 has left me irreversably contaminated: I still hate the virtual keyboard and need to tap 10 times to call someone who hasn't been "starred" and the Trojan-horse-like nature of 80% of the apps out there and the crap "multitasking", but a smartphone is just no longer a smartphone when its apps die (I can't access apps bought with a Pre 2 since Tuckerbox isn't working) and wither away (APIs for some of my drivers have drifted.)
    I had the same issue with the cracked screen; I let it slip from my shirt pocket when bending down in a non-ergonomical-correct way. Bought one with a broken flash through this forum, and spent ~1.5 hours replacing the screen. Most time being extremely careful not to break small bits of.

Would love another unit with a broken screen but running webOS, just to make some tweaks I do not want o try on my "production" unit.

PS: in the meantime I also bought a brand new unlocked unit from the UK for approx. U$250, as a spare.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast