Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By fxspec06
  • 1 Post By GMMan
  1.    #1  
    Hi, how's everyone doing today? I have had my AT&T Pre3 stored away for over a year while I've been using the Galaxy Nexus. I recently started using my Touchpad again and have been swooned back to webOS. The problem is, my Pre3 is stuck in a boot loop. I used to know exactly how to fix this with a doctor and other troubleshooting. My memory isn't very good these days and all I've been able to do is get it into what I believe I remember as recovery mode (the USB logo with the three prongs is on the screen and it is plugged into my computer. I cannot find a proper doctor for this device as I guess it was never officially released/supported.

I've searched the forums here with little progress. Would anyone be willing to help me out by pointing me in the right direction to where I can find directions on how to fix this?

Thanks for the help! I know how obnoxious it can be for some people when members ask questions to things that have already been answered...I'm just not as good on the computer in my old age!

-Andrew
    Doctors are linked to via this Internals Wiki page: WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Noooo you might not have to doctor, you should memboot first if you know how to, it could just be kernel issue...

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Memboot

long story short install sdk download doctor and run
    Code:
    cd \program files\palm\sdk\bin
        novacom boot mem:// < uImage-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
    from command line in windows

but always refer to the wiki as the official source of information
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

sledge007 likes this.
  4.    #4  
    Thank you both. I will be trying the memboot first. I know I've successfully done a memboot in the past. If not, I'll do a full wipe with the doctor. Thanks again!
    Membooting by itself doesn't solve any problems. You need to know the cause if you want a solution.
    fxspec06 likes this.
  6.    #6  
    I'm having trouble with finding the ulmage. The following steps from the wiki are the ones I can't figure out still:

"inside the rootfs, in /boot there'll be the uImage you're searching for.

See below for some examples of uImages for various webOS versions.

Copy the uImage to the novacom folder on your computer:

for Windows: program files\palm\sdk\bin"

Where do I find rootfs in /boot where the ulmage will be? Also, I don't have palm/sdk/bin in my program files. There isn't even a Palm folder, though I did install the SDK, java and virtualbox.

It seems like everything installed correctly. When I run palm-generate and java -version in command prompt, I get the proper response.

*edit* @GMMan, the last time I successfully membooted was when I was building my FrankenPre2 for Sprint. Can't remember what the exact issue was but it worked for that at the time. I figure I'll try the memboot first so I don't loose all my data on the phone. If that doesn't work, I'll just doctor.
    Last edited by blue duck butter; 03/17/2013 at 01:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    Membooting by itself doesn't solve any problems. You need to know the cause if you want a solution.
    true, but from my experience most of the times i've needed to memboot were from bad kernels... ie boot loops.. but i have had boot loops from other things too so yeah.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

8.    #8  
    Anybody?
    Try putting your device in USB recovery mode, then connect with novaterm (don't boot anything, you need the bootloader for this), and issue "klog last". You should get a log of what the device is trying to do during boot.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for the input. I ended up doing a doctor.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Where did you find the 2.24 doctor? HP doesn't have it available anymore, and I don't know how to use the jar file from internals..
    Quote Originally Posted by ironwill989 View Post
    Where did you find the 2.24 doctor? HP doesn't have it available anymore, and I don't know how to use the jar file from internals..
    What 2.2.4 doctor? The Pre3 uses a different doctor file and they are still linked on the webOS Internals site.