Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    My pre 3 is an excellent device i am happy i have one. an excellent tool really.
    how do i know if i can charge on the dock, do the pre 3's come with the charging back , or do you need to buy one and replace the one that comes with it.

thanks
    The Pre3 comes with a Touchstone-compatible back. Any of the phone Touchstones (the little angled puck ones) will charge the Pre3.

If you need a Touchstone, you can pick one up from the webOS Nation Store!
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    pre3's all have the touchstone charging back cover.

afaikafaikafaik $the$ $only$ $webos$ $devices$ $that$ $didn$'$t$ $ship$ $with$ $the$ $touchstone$ $back$ $were$ $the$ $original$ $Pre$ $and$ $Pixi$ ($and$ $I$'$m$ $not$ $even$ $sure$ $about$ $the$ $Pixi$). $Everything$ $after$ $those$ $came$ $with$ $it$.
    The Pre3 does come with a touchstone compatible back cover so you do not need to buy another back cover.
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    Back that Touchstone-compatible is Pre 3 coming with.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    The Pre3 comes with a Touchstone-compatible back. Any of the phone Touchstones (the little angled puck ones) will charge the Pre3.

If you need a Touchstone, you can pick one up from the webOS Nation Store!
    Isn't that the Pre3 while compatible with the touchstone it didn't sit pretty well, due to the odd shaped back from the Pre3 device that makes it wobble without sitting properly on it. Even users of the device have complained about those same hardware issues with the Palm TouchStone that while charges the device it doesn't sit well with the Pre3. I'm thinking that is why Palm came out with the second generation of the touchstone 2 for the pre3 and veer.

Even Derek came out with an article in which he reviewed the second generation of the device of the wireless charging docking station of Palm" TouchStone 2" to mention that Palm Pre 3 was well designed in mind for that charging dock and it sits flat on it.

Here its the article of the TouchStone 2:

Palm TouchStone 2nd Generation.
    Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 03/14/2013 at 10:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    Isn't that the Pre3 while compatible with the touchstone it didn't sit pretty well, due to the odd shaped back from the Pre3 device that makes it wobble without sitting properly on it. Even users of the device have complained about those same hardware issues with the Palm TouchStone that while charges the device it doesn't sit well with the Pre3. I'm thinking that is why Palm came out with the second generation of the touchstone 2 for the pre3 and veer.

Even Derek came out with an article in which he reviewed the second generation of the device of the wireless charging docking station of Palm" TouchStone 2" to mention that Palm Pre 3 was well designed in mind for that charging dock and it sits flat on it.

Just to clarify, the original Touchstone and Veer had a very strong magnetic bond. It would take some serious hard bumps in the road to get the two to separate on their own.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post

It wobbles a bit but it works fine. There are various ways to make it wobble less which have been discussed at length on these fora, you will probably want to do one of these if you intend to mount in a car as the Pre3 would be very likely to slide off in this situation.

I use one on my desk and one beside my bed without modifications and they have been fine, a little fiddlier to place right but perfectly usable.
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    I use one on my desk and one beside my bed without modifications and they have been fine, a little fiddlier to place right but perfectly usable.
    Yup - same here. Not quite as solid on the Touchstone as the Pre - but Pre3 sits fine on Touchstone.
    Not really a problem at all.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Unless you're going to use the touchstone in a car, the pre3 will work perfectly with it. See my signature for my recommendation for use in a car.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Yeah, as others have said the Pre3 doesn't "stick" on the touchstone as well as the older phones but it works fine. I have a couple of touchstones I use with my Pre3.
    650p | 755p | Centro | Pre | Pixi | Pre 2 | Pre 3 | 2 Touchpads
    I've got three Touchstones that I've used my Pre3 on. Two are rather stationary on the desk and nightstand, and the one in my car is mounted at about a 45 angle on the dash. That puts the Pre3 pretty close to vertical. The Pre3 isn't a perfect fit to the older Touchstone, but it the magnets are strong enough that I've never worried about it.

In ~2 years of using the Pre3 in the car I've had it dislodged by road surface impacts only a handful of times, and those were usually jarring enough that I was worried more about the car than the phone.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    If you REALLY want a real 'Touchstone 2' unit.. look no further than here:

HP Palm Touchstone 2 with Audio Out Phone not Included Extremely RARE | eBay

Eeeek!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 03/16/2013 at 10:06 AM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post

Eeeek!

For $375 the seller could at least offer free shipping!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post

Eeeek!

Ugh! Yeah, that guy. carldc picked up the first one he posted for $325. Fancy pants! Thread here: HP Touchstone 2 available

This may be your ONLY chance to obtain this device
    ...until some sucker buys it and I post the next one for $450.

I've got three Touchstones that I've used my Pre3 on. Two are rather stationary on the desk and nightstand, and the one in my car is mounted at about a 45 angle on the dash. That puts the Pre3 pretty close to vertical. The Pre3 isn't a perfect fit to the older Touchstone, but it the magnets are strong enough that I've never worried about it.

In ~2 years of using the Pre3 in the car I've had it dislodged by road surface impacts only a handful of times, and those were usually jarring enough that I was worried more about the car than the phone.
    Close to vertical? No way, Jose! I had a dash TS for my Pre/Pre 2. The face was tilted back from vertical about 30, and some bumps (such as entering parking lots a little too fast) were enough to knock it loose. Of course I never did one with the modified phone clampy thing like others have shown.

Old TS's holding magnets work fine for the Pre 3 on a table, I think. And it'll totally charge. But it's definitely looser than the Pre/Pixi. My car TS is retired, pending new geometry.
    Last edited by ananimus; 03/16/2013 at 02:19 PM.

Is your Pre 3 EU or ATT? I have heard that the backs are slightly different and the EU back holds better. I know my ATT Pre 3 is a very loose fit on a stock Touchstone.
    Handspring Visor -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre Plus -> Developer Day Pre 2
    32Gb Touchpad, 32Gb Touchpad 4G w/ CM10 onboard
    Pre 3 waiting in the wings for a good reason to switch
    Use one of these methods to help your Pre 3 sit more securely on the orignal Pre touchstone, either way is very simple to modify the surface of the touchstone.

make your classic touchstone hold your pre 3 better
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I have ordered this, haven't had a chance to try, but my touchstone with the Pre3 on it falls off the console, so a vent mount would be better, and this looks sturdy.
    Vent Mounted Touchstone for Pre 3
    Casio BOSS->Palm Pilot Professional->Palm M500->Treo 600-> Treo 680->Treo Pro (TP) ->HP Veer<->HP TP<->Pre3<>HP TP 4G
    Conn 6H-> Bach 36->Bach 16L (high Bb plays really flat?(fixed thanks to **** Akright))-> New York Bach 6viii
    Scalpel->Scope->Aesop->Hermes->Sidne->Davinci S>Davinci Si
    I went a less expensive route. I modified the puck with a round file (5 minutes) and used a little flat black paint I had sitting on the shelf of my garage. Then I used some Industrial strength Velcrose (3 or 4 dollars i think) that I purchased at Home Depot and mounted the puck on my dash of my car next to a HVAC vent for cool running. Very simple to do and inexpensive. As you can see, my Pre 3 mounting position is close to vertical and I've had mounted in my car like this for over a year and half now and not once has it fallen off, even when going over railroad tracks and potholes.

Palm Pre using a Touchstone mounted in your car? Post your pictures here!
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Ugh! Yeah, that guy. carldc picked up the first one he posted for $325. Fancy pants! Thread here: HP Touchstone 2 available
    Guilty! BTW, if you read the description on guy's eBay page, it says "no-reserve auction". He doesn't have a bid button, but perhaps if you messaged him as the time runs down, he might be open to a more reasonable bid. Just a guess.
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast