1. vba
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    My problem is that I can't use GMAPS during phone call when I'm on 2G, there's no data traffic.

I've had many Blackberrys they were able to handle data traffic during phone call.

Is there any way to enable it?
    If you are using GSM, this is the right.

When in 2G (Edge), the cell tower use only one channel to communicate with the phone: or data or voice.

In 3G, the cell tower use more than one channel in same time; so, continue with data and can add voice.

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    This is a limitation on any phone on 2G (GSM). The phone is connected at most to one tower at a time and as such, can only toss one channel of data (be it voice or data) at a time. Even your BlackBerry would exhibit this behavior. 3G on the other hand, those device enabled with it have two different radios, so calls can go over GSM and data through UTMS (or vice versa). Hence why Verizon folks can't do the same even on 3G (UTMS and CDMA/Ev-Do both use Code-Division but CDMA devices utilize only one radio). Not sure how Verizon works with their LTE devices.
    LTE has finally brought Voice and Data at the same time to Verizon.
    That was the first test I did when my friend got a Thunderbolt.
    I immediately closed my office and drove to Verizon store to buy me a Thunderbolt.
    Just call me Berd.
  5. vba
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    If you are using GSM, this is the right.

When in 2G (Edge), the cell tower use only one channel to communicate with the phone: or data or voice.

In 3G, the cell tower use more than one channel in same time; so, continue with data and can add voice.

Best Regards...
    I haven't checked on other devices, maybe Blackberrys are able to do that somehow with BIS, but I can definitely use data traffice during phone call on EDGE network: Google Maps downloads map parts, can browse the net etc...

Anyway, thank you for the information!
    Only Class A device can use both data and voice on 2G network at same time ( General Packet Radio Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ).
    Pre 3 is Class B.
    Wow, never knew that. I have never encountered a phone that can do that, not even my old BB with scroll wheel.