Global Posts
    847 Global Posts
    Ok this is super weird one.

Last night I noticed that all my receiving text messages are coming in batches. I would get like 4 of them in one instance. Then I noticed that I am not getting any replies on time, that's why my messages were coming in batches after half an hour or three hours after people have replied to me.

Today messaging was useless and my battery would go from 100% to 5% within six hours and very light talk.
    I also noticed that phone is getting warm around camera.

I decided to doctor it and once it was doctored it ran fine for few hours, I could receive text on time but then same thing with the heat and sms not coming in happened again. Battery went from 60% to 9% within two hours.

I was not using any custom kernels or some risky patches.
    Sounds like the fimware in one of the chips has gone bad. I'm not really sure what to suggest at this point, but unfortunately many processes under webOS have been coded to have an unlimited number of retries, so when the hardware side fails, you end up with hot chips and insane battery drain from the process running over and over.

One example of this problem is when phones don't properly "sleep", or when a malfunctioning router sends the wifi connect routine into an endless loop.

Some of this can be fixed at kernel level, some clever JavaScript hacks can also be put in place to deal with various things, but in the end, without full proprietary source code, all we can do is just ***** and whine to each other.

One thing I have thought of is to toggle data and voice cellular bands, maybe that can force the firmware to behave... There's a device menu patch for this somewhere and also a dial pad # sequence, but I can't remember either off the top of my head
    Launch backup and turn it off for a while. Not the same problem but worth a try.
    @laingman,

good catch.
    That might well be an issue that could be solved by starting over on a brand new profile... I forgot about that possibility. So if (individually) togglng data and voice on/off doesn't help any, doctoring and creating the new profile might..
    Global Posts
    847 Global Posts
    Thanks for replies! I will doctor it again and have it turned off for a day with battery out of the device. If that doesn't work I will doctor it again and make a new profile. At first I suspected that it has something to do with my profile but since all of my stuff is on it's very hard to give it up. BTW I can't log into my LinkedIn profile no matter what I try.

Will let you all know in 24 hours or so

P.S. Once battery hits around 30% it doesn't heat up anymore and battery drainage goes back to normal, still no sms tough.
    Global Posts
    847 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    One thing I have thought of is to toggle data and voice cellular bands, maybe that can force the firmware to behave... There's a device menu patch for this somewhere and also a dial pad # sequence, but I can't remember either off the top of my head
    You mean like Airplane Mode off and on? And same thing with data in Phone app menu?
    LinkedIn changed their API and broke everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by vladi View Post
    You mean like Airplane Mode off and on? And same thing with data in Phone app menu?
    Airplane mode turns off both, but there is a device menu patch that allows one to turn off one or the other... I'll look it up for you sometime later...
    Global Posts
    847 Global Posts
    Quick update:

- Doctored the phone
    - Logged into my profile (that could be the actual reason of my problems)
    - Restored my data using 3G and WiFi later on
    - Turned off the phone, took out the battery and let it sit for 24h
    - Put the inactive SIM and turned it on
    = Battery drainage is back to Normal and no oveheating

- Replaced the inactive SIM with active SIM
    - Placed few phonecalls
    - Used WiFi again
    - Checked email
    - Used Music App
    - Used it in USB mode
    - Opened up all factory apps
    = Everything is normal

Now I am suspecting that either is Messaging app that is making some problems or HP Maps app that has big problems installing on my device, even last time it took me few tries to get it installed but this time I will just leave it uninstalled. I have yet to send or receive a text message but as soon as I am done with more testing I will put in my own SIM and use it normally and see how it goes.
    Global Posts
    847 Global Posts
    This is either freaky or ignorant on my part but it's been now 3 nights and 4 days since I turned on my Pre 3 and my battery is at 40%. Sure there is not a lot cellular traffic because that is my backup SIM but like I said above I've been running WiFi for couple of hours and music.

I never knew that Pre 3 had Pixi like standby time. Now that I mentioned Pixi I am currently using it as my main phone and it reminds me how much I used to love that thing. It's small, slim, light, you can't tell it's in your pocket and it does what phone is supposed to do as long as you are not a app addict, I just wish it is a bit faster. And it has louder sound reproduction than Pre 3. Such a shame that small phones never caught up and instead we have 4" and above that feel like bricks in your pocket. I was ready to give up on my Pre 3 and go with Lumia 920 instead but I think Pixi put a halt to that

Anyway I will let battery drain on standby and then charge it on touchstone and see what happens. If it's not some of the apps that cause a problem it could be the touchstone because a day before it went bezerk it spent a whole night on touchstone which is not good. I had cases after a whole night on touchstone that battery drains much faster but never like I had when I made the post.
    Global Posts
    847 Global Posts
    OK everything is normal again. I charged it on the touchstone it didn't heat up and battery usage is normal.
    I still didn't install HP Maps and I won't because I really don't need it.

If something messes up now it has to be the messaging app or GSM internals that handle SMS. We shall see.

Thanks everybody for their help! It's really heartbreaking for me to take out the SIM out of Pixi and put it back into Pre 3 knowing that Pixi will be stuck in my drawer once again for who knows how long