webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > HSPA+ with T-Mobile
HSPA+ with T-Mobile
Like Tree8Likes

Old 02/28/2013, 12:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Has anyone else been getting H+ on t-mobiles network?

I've been operating a Pre3 and a Veer (and Palm Pre) on t-mobiles network for many years. In the past few years we are now getting more and more areas covered by 1900Mhz 3G. Cool, but not a noticeable speed increase.

Last week I was in Paris,TX and was getting H+ on my Veer. I'm wondering if this is just some local test or anomaly, or something on a wider scale.
wizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2013, 12:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

There is ongoing re-farming of T-Mobile's H+ to the 1900 MHz band. They want 1700 for their 4G LTE and they want H+ on 1900 for "Bring Your Own Phone" customers such as unlocked iPhone users.

Here's the Map of 1900 Mhz Re-Farming.

Currently they show no sightings in/around Paris, TX. Maybe you could add a pin?
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2013, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizmo View Post
Has anyone else been getting H+ on t-mobiles network?

I've been operating a Pre3 and a Veer (and Palm Pre) on t-mobiles network for many years. In the past few years we are now getting more and more areas covered by 1900Mhz 3G. Cool, but not a noticeable speed increase.

Last week I was in Paris,TX and was getting H+ on my Veer. I'm wondering if this is just some local test or anomaly, or something on a wider scale.
The re-farming is expected to be complete this summer nationwide. Even if your area is not "officially" listed in the current map, you may be getting sporadic H+. In Miami, the H+ was intermittent for about a month before it was added to the list of cities. BTW, the speeds on TMO's 1900 band are way better than AT&T's. I suspect less congestion but that may change with more users coming on board.
fatclue_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ananimus likes this.
Old 02/28/2013, 01:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

I now get 3G in most big cities, but this is the first time I had H+.

I was assuming that the move to 1900 was only going to give me 3G. So, how come I only get 3G and not H+ in areas that are already farmed? Do I just need more patience, or am I missing a configuration setting on the phone?

Thanks
wizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2013, 09:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Beating a semi-dead horse... (Well... It does involve the Pre3, so, zombie horse? )

It looks like the LunaSysMgr code (at least the LunaCE and open webOS stuff) points UMTS to the "3G" graphic, HSDPA to the "3G" graphic, and HSPA+ to the "H+" graphic... Pretty.... ugly. So, for now I just created a nasty sym-link so that and UMTS or HSDPA connection showed "H". I'm looking at modding the carrier settings to see if "H+" will ever show. We'll see!

I had mostly used AT&T on my Pre3, but I am experimenting with T-Mobile again.
Thanked by Grabber5.0, Rnp
Old 08/29/2013, 03:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I'm getting H+ here on T-Mobile in quite some areas, no problem.

(btw, if you're worried that yours is displaying a faulty H instead of H+: there's a patch in Preware that replace the H icon with the H+ icon)

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/29/2013, 06:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
I'm getting H+ here on T-Mobile in quite some areas, no problem.

(btw, if you're worried that yours is displaying a faulty H instead of H+: there's a patch in Preware that replace the H icon with the H+ icon)
Mine is currently displaying the proper icon. The network type shows up as hsdpa in the logs.

The mapping in LSM is:

umts -> "3G"
hsdpa -> "3G" (should be "H")
hspa-plus -> "H+"

So, replacing the "H" icon with "H+" is incorrect. I'm still playing with the actual radio settings since they were originally written for the AT&T network.

Last edited by dkirker; 08/29/2013 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Yay... 4:21a. My grammar has eaten it right now...
dkirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and Remy X like this.
Thanked by Remy X, Rnp
Old 08/29/2013, 01:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Is there anything in the logs that tells me what kind of signal I'm getting when the 3G icon is displayed? I'm using a T-Mobile SIM in my Pre3 here in KC North, and the map shows re-farmed towers all around me.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/29/2013, 01:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm sorry Donald, I just realized I need to read closer. I'll check in the logs.

Edit: looks like it's only picking up umts. I need to call T-Mobile tech support and find out if they have hspa+/hsdpa on 1900 here. I was searching their supported device list, and the EU model# comes up, but not the ATT model, so they may not offer much help.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Last edited by Grabber5.0; 08/29/2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08/29/2013, 03:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Here in the Chicagoland area I get the 3g icon on both my veers and pre3s on tmo, however the download speeds are in the 7megabit range telling me I'm actually using H+.
creepingmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/29/2013, 04:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

Yeah... I'm a tiny bit miffed. I guess it honestly doesn't matter.

Quote:
2013-08-29 14:07:35: luna://com.palm.telephony/dataNetworksSupportedQuery command sent with parameters ({})...

2013-08-29 14:07:35: Waiting for the luna://com.palm.telephony/dataNetworksSupportedQuery command response.....

2013-08-29 14:07:35: TilResponse Handling : 32 {"returnValue":true,"errorCode":0,"errorString":"success","extended":{"networks":"gprs,edge,umts,hsd pa"}}
That is output from PmTilTest. You can access it through novaterm. At the "******** Enter a Choice: " prompt, it is 471.

There's also:

Quote:
******** Enter a Choice: 552
Subscribe (y/n):n

2013-08-29 14:11:13: luna://com.palm.telephony/networkStatusQuery command sent with parameters ({"subscribe":true})...

2013-08-29 14:11:13: Waiting for the luna://com.palm.telephony/networkStatusQuery command response.....

2013-08-29 14:11:13: TilResponse Handling : 37 {"returnValue":true,"errorCode":0,"errorString":"success","extended":{"state":"service","registratio n":"home","networkName":"T-Mobile","dataRegistered":true,"dataType":"umts","causeCode":"0"},"subscribed":true}
(I'm currently on the edge of some coverage in SF.)
Old 08/29/2013, 05:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

So doses that reflect the phone's capabilities or is it querying the network?

- Matt

Old 08/30/2013, 12:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
So doses that reflect the phone's capabilities or is it querying the network?

- Matt
Not entirely sure with the dataNetworksSupportedQuery command. networkStatusQuery is what the phone is connected with at that given time. This is also what LSM uses to figure out which icons to display.
Old 08/30/2013, 03:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
Not entirely sure with the dataNetworksSupportedQuery command. networkStatusQuery is what the phone is connected with at that given time. This is also what LSM uses to figure out which icons to display.
I wonder if we can figure that out looking at the code - since it is a Luna call I'd expect it might be in the source we have access to.

- Matt

Old 08/30/2013, 03:46 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I wonder if we can figure that out looking at the code - since it is a Luna call I'd expect it might be in the source we have access to.

- Matt
On a side note, i've always wondered how much code is shared between LunaSysMgr of 2.x and that of 3.x, which is available to us in the form of LunaCE...
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/30/2013, 03:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quite a lot... Eblade tried LunaCE on the Pre 3. He got quite far but got stuck then. See the Ports wiki for more info :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Thanked By: Remy X
Old 08/30/2013, 07:29 PM   #17 (permalink)

Yeah. IIRC, the code for LunaSysMgr in webOS 3 was forked after the Pre3 and Veer were started. Some stuff added to them was not synced into the webOS 3 code base, though.

I've contemplated, and desired, getting LuneCE running on my Pre3. Might have a go at it. But I have *A LOT* on my plate at the moment..
Old 08/31/2013, 12:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
...I need to call T-Mobile tech support and find out if they have hspa+/hsdpa on 1900 here...
I wouldn't wake up the tech support people... When you call from your local time it will be the wee hours over in Calcutta.

Try this map of eyewitness updates on the refarm: Sightings of T-Mobile 3G/4G/HSPA+ coverage on 1900MHz (PCS/UMTS band II)

Aren't you in the D? Real solid in the north 'burbs there...
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/31/2013, 01:23 PM   #19 (permalink)

And I'd throw in: Wasn't the Veer FauxG the only one that supported full 14.4 Mbps downlink? (Think the Pre 3 is capped at 7.2.)

At any rate, when looking at Straight Talk, all the HoFo people were saying there's a night/day difference between AT&T/T-Mo HSPA+ (3.5 Mbps typ vs. 11 Mbps typ, respectively). That line up with folks' experience here?

Will say I settled on AT&T for better coverage since I travel a lot, and it's usually snappy enough on a Pre 3. Average 3 Mbps. Of course no trouble with H+ symbol since it's an unlocked ATT unit.
ananimus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/12/2013, 12:50 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
At any rate, when looking at Straight Talk, all the HoFo people were saying there's a night/day difference between AT&T/T-Mo HSPA+ (3.5 Mbps typ vs. 11 Mbps typ, respectively). That line up with folks' experience here?
From what I've read, T-Mo does have the higher speeds but you only enjoy it up to a certain amount (about 500MB under the 'unlimited' plan) then you're throttled back. MVNOs will typically be lower than their parent networks.
p41m3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tmobile 4g

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0