Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes
    I briefly got 3G on my Pre 3 while using Roam Mobility (they use T-Mobile) at Flint when I was on my way to Chicago.

I guess on the interstate coverage wasn't that good, it kept falling back to EDGE. Some places I even got GPRS.
    I've gotten 4G speeds both with my current week-old Veer and one I had last year, but neither phone has indicated anything other than "3G" for a network icon. Speed testing the device gets me about 7.8Mbps downlink and 1.5Mbps uplink, and that's with three out of five bars signal strength inside a house.

I tried to install the "Show UMTS and HSDPA Icon" patch from the "Homebrew Store" so I could get a more accurate indication of what type of network I'm on, but the install errored out. I don't think I have any patch that would conflict with that... nothing is top-bar related.

In the process of speed-testing the phone I found another crazy shouldn't-be-but-is comparison between my almost brand-new Nokia Lumia 521 Windows Phone and the three-year-old Veer: the Lumia doesn't have Flash compatibility so can't run the XFinity speed test I use. I had to run it through WiFi tether to my computer. I did the same with the Veer to keep it fair.

Alex
    My mobile biography: Nokia 5181i & 3589i -- Motorola v60i & A630 -- Palm Treo 650, Centro, Pre Plus, MyTouch 4G Slide, Pre 2, Pre 3, Nokia Lumia 521, Veer
    ananimus likes this.
    I've been getting really lousy speeds on T-Mobile for a while.. Maybe it started when the changed their daily plan rates and dropped the internet day pass. I used to get good speeds, now it's lucky to break 100kbps.
    In the Atlanta area, 3G on Tmobile is usually 6MB down, 1.5up as measured on SpeedTest.net(on a macbook) using FreeTether. I would say it is surprisingly good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I've been getting really lousy speeds on T-Mobile for a while.. Maybe it started when the changed their daily plan rates and dropped the internet day pass. I used to get good speeds, now it's lucky to break 100kbps.
    I'm surprised by the idea that speeds would decrease deliberately, as that would go against their marketing that they have the fastest 4G network. Of course that claim won't hold up everywhere, but if it was good in one spot before and isn't after, naturally you want to ask why. I wonder if there was a substantial increase in demand on that tower, causing average per-user speeds to drop as with a token-ring setup like cable Internet?

I don't know much about how data demand on a cell network is distributed but imagine it's like any resource that has a maximum "flow rate" like a plumbing system. You can turn on as many faucets in the house as you like, but for each added faucet, less water is flowing out on average. If anyone has a clearer view I would be happy to hear it.
    My mobile biography: Nokia 5181i & 3589i -- Motorola v60i & A630 -- Palm Treo 650, Centro, Pre Plus, MyTouch 4G Slide, Pre 2, Pre 3, Nokia Lumia 521, Veer
    My main thought is they are heavily throttling the daily plans or at least the cheaper ones. They really hiked up the rate of the daily plans over the last year, esp if you want "4G".
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    My main thought is they are heavily throttling the daily plans or at least the cheaper ones. They really hiked up the rate of the daily plans over the last year, esp if you want "4G".
    I suppose it's possible, which would suggest a change in the business model, but hopefully if throttling is involved it's part of your contract in the fine print somewhere, otherwise that's a breach of contract.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12