webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Clicking noise pre 3 slider (volume cable?)
Clicking noise pre 3 slider (volume cable?)
Like Tree14Likes

Old 02/27/2013, 07:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hi, I recently had a pre3 that had the volume cable severed by the slider, luckily the ebay seller was kind enough to provide a replacement. I have just received the new unit & I've noticed that on the very last portion of the slide there is a clicking noise coming from the left side.

Now, I'm definitely paranoid that it will happen again, however, is this noise normal? I know there is a mechanism that detects if the slider is open, could that be what I'm hearing? Also, has anyone had good luck securing the cable with glue or something so that it's out of the way of the slider?
Consequence_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2013, 07:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

My 3's practically silent. I do hear a noise like that in my Veer though.
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2013, 02:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Might be the proximity sensor, I guess if your hearing is really damn good, or maybe somehow the camera auto focus?
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2013, 11:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

hmm.. i don't think i'll be able to rest easy about it, so i think i'm going to open it up & locktite it down jic ;]
Old 03/02/2013, 08:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

So, I opened it up & my suspicions were confirmed, once you take off the first layer (the part surrounding the battery) you could actually see the slider hitting the cable. If anyone else is having this issue it is a very simple fix that will save you a lot of headache. The pre3 is very easy to disassemble & reassemble. If you are hearing a slight clicking noise towards the left side it is definitely the slider hitting the volume cable.

What you want to do is take out all the screws, take off the plastic part & then take the mainboard out & flip it over. You will see the ribbon cable connecting the volume buttons. Get a toothpick & some loctite glue, apply a small amount of the loctite underneath the right side of the cable & hold the ribbon cable against the board firmly with the toothpick. You must be quick as loctite sets in seconds & bonds very strong. I also put a little bit on top of the cable & surrounding board just to be safe. Remember, it only needs a thin later.

Snap the mainboard back in, screw back on the plastic & you're done! No more clicking & you can rest easy knowing that your volume cable will not fail =]

I couldn't stand the thought of this happening to my second pre3, but it was very easy to fix, so do not be afraid.
Liked by xandros9 and barryb20 like this.
Old 03/08/2013, 01:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consequence_9 View Post
So, I opened it up & my suspicions were confirmed, once you take off the first layer (the part surrounding the battery) you could actually see the slider hitting the cable. If anyone else is having this issue it is a very simple fix that will save you a lot of headache. The pre3 is very easy to disassemble & reassemble. If you are hearing a slight clicking noise towards the left side it is definitely the slider hitting the volume cable.

What you want to do is take out all the screws, take off the plastic part & then take the mainboard out & flip it over. You will see the ribbon cable connecting the volume buttons. Get a toothpick & some loctite glue, apply a small amount of the loctite underneath the right side of the cable & hold the ribbon cable against the board firmly with the toothpick. You must be quick as loctite sets in seconds & bonds very strong. I also put a little bit on top of the cable & surrounding board just to be safe. Remember, it only needs a thin later.

Snap the mainboard back in, screw back on the plastic & you're done! No more clicking & you can rest easy knowing that your volume cable will not fail =]

I couldn't stand the thought of this happening to my second pre3, but it was very easy to fix, so do not be afraid.
Wow, Testing the new Verizon webOS 2.2.5 doctor, I opened up my keyboard a click, back forth, click...

A little part of the ribbon bent up, so I used a little layer of scotch tape (Box sealing tape, cut very thin) put it from top of the ribbon to the bottom of the metal strip... No more click... Never noticed (or maybe it just started)...

Thanks for the fix...

Last edited by John Steffes; 04/15/2013 at 10:32 AM.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Consequence_9 likes this.
Old 03/08/2013, 02:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

wait 2.2.5 doctor? when did I miss this or am I just being forgetful again?
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9 likes this.
Old 03/08/2013, 03:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
wait 2.2.5 doctor? when did I miss this or am I just being forgetful again?
Backup created Doctor, yes, someone bought a Verizon Pre3 off ebay with webOS 2.2.5, I am creating a Doctor for it, will post more when I am done building it (like my Veer/Pixie/Touchpad Go etc...)
Liked by DocJones, Consequence_9 and Mutoidi like this.
Old 03/08/2013, 04:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Wow, really insane some of the products that leaked out. Does it have the same non production version like the goes and the slab have?
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2013, 05:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for instructions. WIth my ATT Pre3 I have exactly the same issue. Actually the ribbon is already somewhat broken and now I can no longer use the volume keys - as the connection is broken.
Does anyone know if there would be any replacement part for this ribbon ??
Any chance to fix the cable yourself ??
MartinH@webos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/2013, 09:34 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
Thanks for instructions. WIth my ATT Pre3 I have exactly the same issue. Actually the ribbon is already somewhat broken and now I can no longer use the volume keys - as the connection is broken.
Does anyone know if there would be any replacement part for this ribbon ??
Any chance to fix the cable yourself ??
unfortunately the only way to get a replacement would be a working pull from another unit. Try looking for a cracked screen unit on ebay or here. The traces on the cable are too small to repair. If it is doing what mine originally was (adjusting the volume down whenever i used the slider) then I would recommend fully severing that section of the cable & using patches to help out. The only thing that I could not find a patch to control the volume of is the in-call volume, which was frustrating to say the least (it set itself all the way down). The new replacement device menu is perfect for adjusting the other volumes easily though.
Old 03/28/2013, 09:45 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
unfortunately the only way to get a replacement would be a working pull from another unit. Try looking for a cracked screen unit on ebay or here. The traces on the cable are too small to repair. If it is doing what mine originally was (adjusting the volume down whenever i used the slider) then I would recommend fully severing that section of the cable & using patches to help out. The only thing that I could not find a patch to control the volume of is the in-call volume, which was frustrating to say the least (it set itself all the way down). The new replacement device menu is perfect for adjusting the other volumes easily though.
If someone wanted to PM and send me the cable, I will fix the trace... I have a microscopic toolset, which goes to a small micron scale, can not promise anything, but I have fixed traces on ribbons and small multi-layered bread-boards. (including the First Touch Touchpanel)... FYI those traces are 1/4 of the size of a human hair.
Liked by Mutoidi likes this.
Old 03/28/2013, 09:49 AM   #13 (permalink)

impressive! I'll have to add an asterisk onto my post ;]
Old 03/30/2013, 10:05 AM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks.. my Pre3 has only been out of the box a short while and I was already just noticing/wondering the very same thing!
I can just hear it 'scratching', presumably as it slides over the susceptible ribbon cable.
Screwdrivers and Loctite coming out asap!

EDIT: Later. Actually it all looked good and OK in there!
The self adhesive backing on the volume control ribbon-cable was doing it's job and maintaining several mm of clearance with the slider mechanism.
While the 'hood was open', I carefully applied a little high temperature lithium grease just to the slider runner blocks and stops, which quietened it down at the bump-stop ends of travel (which is what I was originally hearing on reaching fully open position) and made it's operation even smoother.

~*~

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT A-D. ~ HP iPaq. hx-2110. WM 6.01.
TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Mini-5101.120Gb SSD. 3G/Wifi/BT. Win7.

Last edited by Mutoidi; 04/12/2013 at 08:15 AM.
Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 08/16/2013, 11:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I love tinkering so this kind of repair sounds not only vital but kind of fun to do. Has anyone out there taken pictures of themselves doing this repair? I plan on immediately doing this when my Pre 3 arrives next week so I don't have to do it in the future or forget and it breaks! I'd love to see the repair picture.
Alan Morford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/2013, 03:13 PM   #16 (permalink)

No direct pics of self, fraid.. but you can expect to see the likes of this, below, once you have recieved and opened yours:

Enjoy!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg KB & Cable Connector..jpg (488.9 KB, 22 views) Email Attachment

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT A-D. ~ HP iPaq. hx-2110. WM 6.01.
TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Mini-5101.120Gb SSD. 3G/Wifi/BT. Win7.
Thanked By: alanmorford
Old 08/16/2013, 06:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
No direct pics of self, fraid.. but you can expect to see the likes of this, below, once you have recieved and opened yours:

Enjoy!

Is the volume rocker ribbon in this picture?

HP Pre 3 FCC teardown

Last edited by alanmorford; 08/16/2013 at 06:27 PM.
Alan Morford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/2013, 08:22 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
Is the volume rocker ribbon in this picture?

HP Pre 3 FCC teardown
Kinda..
Under the Volume Rocker Switch.. top right in my orig pic..
Maybe clearer here:

All these pics were from an early prototype anyway.. so some small details, including how well glued down the ribbon cable is, may have altered slightly in later versions - for the better hopefully!
You'll work it out once you SEE it anyway!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Actual cables.jpg (128.8 KB, 12 views) Email Attachment

Thanked By: alanmorford
Old 08/17/2013, 07:12 AM   #19 (permalink)

John, Mutoidi, et al,

So my daily Pre 3 volume rocker ribbon is torn from catching on the slider. I have a backup Pre 3 that I'm switching to, but I also have a "parts" Pre 3 that has a good volume ribbon that I can swap out.

John (or anyone else) what kind of "micro tool set" do you have to work on electronics that would help replace the ribbon? I'm becoming more and more of an electronics tinkerer

Thanks,
Chris
Old 08/17/2013, 10:32 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
John, Mutoidi, et al,

So my daily Pre 3 volume rocker ribbon is torn from catching on the slider. I have a backup Pre 3 that I'm switching to, but I also have a "parts" Pre 3 that has a good volume ribbon that I can swap out.

John (or anyone else) what kind of "micro tool set" do you have to work on electronics that would help replace the ribbon? I'm becoming more and more of an electronics tinkerer

Thanks,
Chris

Sorry to hear that your ribbon cable actually got torn by the slider - I guess such a mechanism is basically just waiting for something to 'scissor'!

Replacement is replacement, if you have a spare - and then just ensure that it is glued down out of the reach of the 'scissors'.. but I think John was referring to his possible ability (without promising anything, of course!), to actually repair rather than replace, an existing & damaged ribbon cable using "micro-tools"?

Really to replace it you would probably need basic Torx drivers, tweezers, some blades, good light, a steady hand (and maybe a small tipped soldering iron lurking nearby anyway).. not too much rocket-science involved!

Thanked By: PrinceAlbert

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0