webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Pre2 to iPhone to Pre3
Pre2 to iPhone to Pre3
  Reply
Like Tree30Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02/22/2013, 10:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
spooledup7's Avatar
 
Posts: 7
There was nothing really wrong with my Pre2 phone when I down-graded six months ago to Apple. Verizon was offering the fruit phone for nearly free (upgrade+tax+case) with my upgrade and I was curious about what I may have been missing. The apps are great, chase direct deposit is amazing, and my kids love Subway Surfer, but then there is the way the phone doesn't work like webOS. Switching apps, quick search, notifications, calendar entries, emails, and the list goes on. To-This-Day, to this very freakin day I have the urge to swipe up and be productive with my phone, but I can't.

So... ebay, Pre3, on Verizon, done. I can't wait.

As for the iPhone? It just became my iPod/ATM check deposit machine until the lack of apps forces me to reactivate it as a phone. Maybe I can tape the iphone to the back of my pre3 and get the best of both worlds.
spooledup7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by checkmate, ananimus, purplepansy and 4 others like this.
Old 02/22/2013, 10:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Mutoidi's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,584
Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2013, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
laingman's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,159
Webos/pre series phones are the only true smartphones to date in ny opinion
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by purplepansy and kataran like this.
Old 02/22/2013, 11:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
kataran's Avatar
 
Posts: 566
we all get that what am I missing feeling once in a while.....your thread helps all of us suppress that urge
__________________
32G Touchpad
iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
kataran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2013, 12:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
fatclue_98's Avatar
 
Posts: 83
Great! I've been on the fence for sometime now deciding whether I really want to go back to the Pre 3 and all of you with your bad influences made me buy a Verizon Pre 3 on eBay just now. Geez Louise, what am I gonna tell the Mrs. now? Is there a 12-step program for webOSaholics?
fatclue_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman likes this.
Old 02/22/2013, 02:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
spooledup7's Avatar
 
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
Great! I've been on the fence for sometime now deciding whether I really want to go back to the Pre 3 and all of you with your bad influences made me buy a Verizon Pre 3 on eBay just now. Geez Louise, what am I gonna tell the Mrs. now? Is there a 12-step program for webOSaholics?
Let's see.. Ditching what the world thinks is a premier phone OS for a long since abandoned, sub par components (by today standards), poor battery life, and non-existent app selection phone all for the joy of usability... We may have a problem no 12-step problem could touch. Where's the reasoning? There is none. All things point to hopelessness by purchasing a Pre3... Still mine is on the way and I couldn't be happier.

On a side note: I still keep my pre plus, pre2 charged. Denial at its worse.
spooledup7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by purplepansy, paul-c, jkromero and 1 others like this.
Old 02/22/2013, 03:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 964
Y'know, hardware-wise, the Pre 3 was actually ahead of the curve when it was "announced." Higher pixel density screen and fastest single-core available. Newer phones of course quickly went dual core and had higher pixel *counts* (though not usually density).

Anyway, yeah. I keep getting stuck. For me the core features of webOS and Pre hardware make it more useful for 80% of what I do over iOS or Android. The other 20% would be super fun messing around in apps, but c'est la vie!
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by purplepansy and kataran like this.
Old 02/22/2013, 05:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
fatclue_98's Avatar
 
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooledup7 View Post
Let's see.. Ditching what the world thinks is a premier phone OS for a long since abandoned, sub par components (by today standards), poor battery life, and non-existent app selection phone all for the joy of usability... We may have a problem no 12-step problem could touch. Where's the reasoning? There is none. All things point to hopelessness by purchasing a Pre3... Still mine is on the way and I couldn't be happier.

On a side note: I still keep my pre plus, pre2 charged. Denial at its worse.
Ah yes, apps. What we older fellas call "bookmarks". My needs are quite simple, but they need to be spot-on. I need a peerless PIM device with a real keyboard. webOS, check. Active multi-tasking, not just suspended apps. webOS, check. Bluetooth MAP and PAN profiles. webOS, check. RNDIS functionality. webOS, check. Your needs may be different, but my needs are NOT met by iOS at all. I still carry an iPhone 4S because it's company-issued. But I'll have to carry two devices to actually get some work done. BTW, with the exception of the MAP profile, even the lowest end Windows Mobile 6.5 had these features plus network file sharing baked in. Believe it or not, there are some of us who actually use smartphones for reasons other than Twitter, Facebook or Angry Birds.
fatclue_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ananimus, purplepansy, james H and 2 others like this.
Old 02/22/2013, 08:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tazmorator (Leader Emeritus)
 
berdinkerdickle's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,058
I really did like WM.
__________________
Just call me Berd.
berdinkerdickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kataran likes this.
Old 02/22/2013, 09:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
PalmPixi_User23's Avatar
 
Posts: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooledup7 View Post
Switching apps, quick search, notifications, calendar entries, emails, and the list goes on. To-This-Day, to this very freakin day I have the urge to swipe up and be productive with my phone, but I can't.

So... ebay, Pre3, on Verizon, done. I can't wait.
*My opinion it isn't to be consider as a sign of disrespectful against those who still have feeling towards WebOS *

In my opinion notifications it isn't much of a issue on WebOS like it used to be, I think that I like on iOS devices you could do a little bit of customization when it comes to notifications(not only the style but how to be notified). On WebOS, notifications are getting simply boring and its not as amazing as it seemed in '09, I like iOS how on iOS 6, you could modify ways to get notified for specific email messages that on WebOS you can't....And let's talk web browsers one of the worst I have seen on phone that suppose to be called a smartphone.

In some WebOS has gotten behind in some things, is amazing that the team at Palm never put their brain cell together to even think of creating a "notification center" like on Android.
__________________
Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
PalmPixi_User23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2013, 09:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Grabber5.0's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
I really did like WM.
I did too. I thought Palm did a really good job with it on the Treo 800w. Then the Pre came along and stole my heart. :P I wouldn't touch WP7 or 8. Blech.
__________________
Matt Williams

Developer of: SMS Auto Forward/Reply, GPS Viewer,
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix

Last edited by Grabber5.0; 02/23/2013 at 02:29 PM.
Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/23/2013, 09:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
laingman's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
*My opinion it isn't to be consider as a sign of disrespectful against those who still have feeling towards WebOS *

In my opinion notifications it isn't much of a issue on WebOS like it used to be, I think that I like on iOS devices you could do a little bit of customization when it comes to notifications(not only the style but how to be notified). On WebOS, notifications are getting simply boring and its not as amazing as it seemed in '09, I like iOS how on iOS 6, you could modify ways to get notified for specific email messages that on WebOS you can't....And let's talk web browsers one of the worst I have seen on phone that suppose to be called a smartphone.

In some WebOS has gotten behind in some things, is amazing that the team at Palm never put their brain cell together to even think of creating a "notification center" like on Android.
Why complain so much about webos. We all know the situation and how it went down. There is precious little that can be done especially not having the code for the phone versions of the Os to even try to fix it

If it's not enjoyable anymore or doesn't serve your purpose anymore can't just switch to another platform and come back later if some miracle and hp decide to do something.

To say the phones are not smartphone anymore just because you don't like the browser or you want a message hub is a bit much to me. If you ask me my pre2 smarter than those other things you mention.

Please stop comparing an abandoned Os to the others who are some of the world's largest companies constantly working on their products.

This forum now should be to help those of us who still appreciate webos
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by johncc, berdinkerdickle, treodoc755 and 2 others like this.
Thanked By: berdinkerdickle
Old 02/23/2013, 02:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
kataran's Avatar
 
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
*My opinion it isn't to be consider as a sign of disrespectful against those who still have feeling towards WebOS *

In my opinion notifications it isn't much of a issue on WebOS like it used to be, I think that I like on iOS devices you could do a little bit of customization when it comes to notifications(not only the style but how to be notified). On WebOS, notifications are getting simply boring and its not as amazing as it seemed in '09, I like iOS how on iOS 6, you could modify ways to get notified for specific email messages that on WebOS you can't....And let's talk web browsers one of the worst I have seen on phone that suppose to be called a smartphone.

In some WebOS has gotten behind in some things, is amazing that the team at Palm never put their brain cell together to even think of creating a "notification center" like on Android.
no disrespect taken I always enjoyed your posts but your way out of perspective on your rant buddy

iOS notifications were sub par until recently while webOS shined I believe you spoke of this in the past...pardon if I am mistaken

laingman stated the facts and to this day waking up to notifications displayed while on the touchstone has no arguments

a long time friend stopped by today with his iphone that will be able to pare with the google glasses in the future but we are where we are....

We take it of leave it.....I'll take it all year long
__________________
32G Touchpad
iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
kataran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/23/2013, 02:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
kataran's Avatar
 
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
I really did like WM.
had an HTC Mogul 6800 that phone is still cool
__________________
32G Touchpad
iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
kataran is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by berdinkerdickle and ananimus like this.
Old 02/23/2013, 02:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by kataran View Post
had an HTC Mogul 6800 that phone is still cool
Besides my OG Pre and recently retired FPre 2, that's the one other retiree I still have in the nostalgia drawer. That thing was/is bad***.
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/23/2013, 02:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
barryb20's Avatar
 
Posts: 164
Spooledup7 I hope you let us know when you get your Pre 3, I ditched my Note 2 to go back :-)

Installed Preware and found the patch that disabled auto brightness and its my daily driver.

Hell I even bought another TP after selling my MS Surface RT lol

Love the OS and the community

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
barryb20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2013, 11:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
spooledup7's Avatar
 
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryb20 View Post
Spooledup7 I hope you let us know when you get your Pre 3, I ditched my Note 2 to go back :-)

Installed Preware and found the patch that disabled auto brightness and its my daily driver.

Hell I even bought another TP after selling my MS Surface RT lol

Love the OS and the community

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
That is some hard core webOS lovin'!
spooledup7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2013, 12:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
barryb20's Avatar
 
Posts: 164
Lol indeed :-) it was actually refreshing to go back to a smaller form factor.

That and the physical keyboard too, I find it better than my work blackberry

Barry

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
barryb20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2013, 09:18 AM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
grankin's Avatar
 
Posts: 104
but think I'm gonna switch. I worked my way up, from a Tungsten S - Treo 680 - Pre+ - Pre2, - Pre3 (note the progression in size for the phones). I went to the Pre+ so I could carry one device when travelling, just switching SIM cards makes it all easy.

Then the Pre3 developed a glitch (wouldn't actually work as a phone) so, instead of trying to solve it (was on my way to Panama) I reverted to the Pre2.

Then friends who are Apple enthusiasts began to tout the iPhone 4S. I saw that it was a mere 4 mm longer than the Pre3, thinner, lighter ... and then I looked at the app catalog (after being steered from another source to an app that backs up an AIS). Found even more maritime-useful apps (AIS, BTW, is what enables one to spot cargo ships from signals they send out, map them, and see the closest point of approach).

Not only does the catalog have the NYC subway app that the Palm catalog has, it also has the London Tube app that HP touts but which will not run on the Pre2 or 3, and a brazilian other things that'd be pretty damned cool. If I were to buy a used 64GB iPhone 4S I could then ditch the iPod when travelling, thereby lightening pockets even more.

Yes, the iOS6 does not behave (in many ways) as nicely as WebOS, but I'm beginning to thing my days with Palm are about to come to an end.
__________________
It is at our mother's knee that we acquire our noblest and truest and
highest ideals, but there is seldom any money in them. . Mark Twain
said that.
grankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/15/2013, 09:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
grankin's Avatar
 
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by grankin View Post
but think I'm gonna switch. I worked my way up, from a Tungsten S - Treo 680 - Pre+ - Pre2, - Pre3 (note the progression in size for the phones). I went to the Pre+ so I could carry one device when travelling, just switching SIM cards makes it all easy.

Then the Pre3 developed a glitch (wouldn't actually work as a phone) so, instead of trying to solve it (was on my way to Panama) I reverted to the Pre2.

Then friends who are Apple enthusiasts began to tout the iPhone 4S. I saw that it was a mere 4 mm longer than the Pre3, thinner, lighter ... and then I looked at the app catalog (after being steered from another source to an app that backs up an AIS). Found even more maritime-useful apps (AIS, BTW, is what enables one to spot cargo ships from signals they send out, map them, and see the closest point of approach).

Not only does the catalog have the NYC subway app that the Palm catalog has, it also has the London Tube app that HP touts but which will not run on the Pre2 or 3, and a brazilian other things that'd be pretty damned cool. If I were to buy a used 64GB iPhone 4S I could then ditch the iPod when travelling, thereby lightening pockets even more.

Yes, the iOS6 does not behave (in many ways) as nicely as WebOS, but I'm beginning to thing my days with Palm are about to come to an end.
Annnnnd ... they have come to an end. The spare Pre2 and the Pre3 have gone on ebay, and the 3s profile has been deleted. I'm keeping the formerly live Pre2 until I scavenge what I can from it in the way of data, then it goes as well. A long run with Palm, but no longer. iPhone 4S with 64GB will be the device of choice from now.
__________________
It is at our mother's knee that we acquire our noblest and truest and
highest ideals, but there is seldom any money in them. . Mark Twain
said that.
grankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0