webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > New to open/source and the Nation
New to open/source and the Nation
Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By ananimus
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By ananimus
  • 2 Post By UncleVanya
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By SheaReinke
  • 2 Post By ananimus
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By Garrett92C
  • 1 Post By ananimus
  • 1 Post By ananimus

Old 02/20/2013, 07:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Alright SO,

I have no idea what I am doing here. I mean I have a Pre3 that is currently my only source of access other than the local library ( which has a *bad **** little setup ) and I bought a book and passed the Network+ exam last year. So 'I know what I am doing' but I dont 'know what I am doing' if you know what I mean :smirk:

( writing in memo :green! )

I had a Pre2 that my dad got me because I promised him it would help me work / etc. Which is completly true~who doesnt have a smart phone in this age? Srrsly? My father. He has a minimalist flippy kirk phone and as a joke I set is wallpaper to a lighter - because thats what his cell amounts to him. He dont hear so well, but the grandkids do txt him. Anyway! What happened to my Pre2, settle in~

This story is a litte bizarre.

Bla blah blah, Pre2 LOVED IT! The handset is perfect, I like flicking the thing open and closed, nice calendar, I like the way the ting werks. I begin to think of Glitch ( I callz it Glitch from the old show ) as like an extension of my very being..then I drop it and the face plate and base plate become irrovocably separated from each other. Oh Nooooos! Well being practicle my family asks Android? Or do we try and fix it? Or do you want to give up on cyborging yourself?

Heh, like that's going to happen.

I have data stored on Glitch so I decide that I want to fixit. I find a place on google or bing I dont recall properly, and they offer repair services for Pres. San Diego PC Help, great group. They..man.. Lets just start with 'a year later I am typing this message' more than a year technically - I broke it in september and I didnt get it back on till Febuary!

Really!?

At first it was supposed to be a simple straitforeward fix. Replace some pins, the wire, and the slide hinge right? Well the first 'whua!?' came when they sent me ..someone elses phone.. No really - and when I was like..this is not my phone to them they were like..are you sure? What yall there are pictures of a hispanic couple with dogs.. I have scads of pictures of women wearing scant clothing, festivals, fire dancing, Selena Gomez and Kiera Knightly, etc etc etc. My Pre has a lightsaber app. These people havnt downloaded..any!?

I send it back and it turns out their Palm guy quite under less than amicable circumstances and put everything in the wrong box. I get lucky they find mine 'three hot chicks making out, HD almost full of..stuff?' yeah, that's mine. Great they send it. Yay! I have my cybernetic extension back!! GLITCH! The fracking frick stack battery wont flarking charge. Gets to 12 and then just depletes. Wha!? I call em~ send it back, wait. Some time later I get it back ~ no change. Charges to 12% battery.....zerp zerp zerp off. I send it back and I use my call center agent skillz to talk the nice lady into giving me direct to the tech -

hey, she knew my name, I could hear it in her voice

Sooooo~ Me and Zack have a long chat and between my A+Network+ knowledge ( and plain practicality ) we figure out what happened. Brad or what's his name had drilled do deep somewhere on the board putting the replacement pins in. Zack's very real and thorough knowledge of what he was doing proved through. But not to save that poor 2. They got it to work and charge and tested it and gave me two extra batteries for my trouble..but it took *one* swipe of my lightsaber app to deseat faceplate from the baeplate again.

Literally.

I pulled it out the shipping box. I hugged my mom. I go 'wanna see my favorite app mom?' :zrch: huh.. I can't change the color? Wait!? I can't use the digitizer!? Whatta wha!? I power Glitch Uno off manually. Restart and ..noopes.. Digitizer is done. I send it back. Zack is like 'o m g dude' and he gets back to it. A few months later I talk to SuzyQ or what have you again and she is like 'Shea, we now have a box with your name on it. Zack has become like.. a mad scientist trying to get it to work. Tell him it's ok - we can replace it' so I tell Zack that the second time we had the 12% battey problem I disk imaged the drive and saved all my data files. I know I paid for full repair recovery, but the data is taken care of and now I really just need 'ah phoon'

an. A. Something cybernetic to work with - so he looks into it and gets me the best thing he can find in this shell. The Pre3! Yay - I have my cyberlimb back and it comes to my attention that.. HP aint supporting the OS anymore? Wh~aaat? Gack.. Ok. Im fine with open source..I mean - yay linux! :smirk: but that dont mean I know what I am doing here.

My Pre3 version is 1.4.5.1

What do I do now?
SheaReinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2013, 08:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

You can mosey up to 2.2.4 if you want. You can use the webOS Doctor for your device. List of them here: WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

Doing so will wipe your device, but you get the newest "bells and whistles."
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by SheaReinke likes this.
Thanked By: SheaReinke
Old 02/21/2013, 12:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Maybe you got some kind of Franken hybrid...

1.4.5.1 is Pixi + or Pre + for Verizon. There must be a donor board in there.

RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2013, 02:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post

Donor board in a Pre 3? Thought they weren't compatible?

Last edited by ananimus; 02/21/2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02/21/2013, 10:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

That is beyond odd.

- Sent using Tapatalk
UncleVanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ArchonAdvisors and SheaReinke like this.
Old 02/22/2013, 11:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
Donor board in a Pre 3? Thought they weren't compatible?
I'm at a loss to guess what would make it display as 1.4.5.1 other than a Pre+ or Pixi + board.

Anyone else have a guess other than Twilight Zone version of the Pre 3???

Maybe test is by seeing if it gets rejected when requesting a visit to the Pre 3 Doctor, but accepted by a Pxi+ or Pre + Doc.

What does WOSQI see it as??? Might be another clue.

What are the first 5 characters of the serial number polled internally through Device Info???

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleVanya View Post
That is beyond odd.
Yup.
Old 02/22/2013, 05:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Anyone else have a guess other than Twilight Zone version of the Pre 3???
:smirk: my phone is from another dimension..... SWEET!
Quote:
Maybe test is by seeing if it gets rejected when requesting a visit to the Pre 3 Doctor, but accepted by a Pxi+ or Pre + Doc.
What does WOSQI see it as???
Umz howz I dooz that?
Quote:
Might be another clue.
What are the first 5 characters of the serial number polled internally through Device Info???
Yup.
P7VE0
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 02/22/2013, 05:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:

it is Vrizon..
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 02/23/2013, 01:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheaReinke View Post
:smirk: my phone is from another dimension..... SWEET!

P7VE0
That confirms it.... You've got a Pre + board in a Pre 3 body??? (Are you sure it's a Pre 3 body? Screen size should be 3.58" measured on the diagonal for Pre 3 or 3.1" for a Pre +...)
Attached Images
File Type: png Pre Proof.PNG (24.3 KB, 9 views) Email Attachment
Old 02/23/2013, 01:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I wouldn't Doctor it yet... Let's see if it's some sort of FrankenPre experiment.

From the above screen cap it would seem the Verizon Pre + Doctor is the one that might work... But if it is indeed a Pre + board in a Pre 3 body there may be some sort of Meta-Doctor Script that would be needed as a better option.

That part is getting outside my knowledge base.

Is the phone functional? Activated? Working properly?

Here is a link to webOS Quick Install (called WOSQI for short): http://forums.webosnation.com/canuck...-v4-4-0-a.html

Try setting this up on your computer and connecting the device. If it is set up and connected properly, WOSQI will identify the device and display that in the upper right hand corner.

You want WOSQI anyway. It's a great tool, an easy way to install Preware and a gateway for installing Homebrew Apps and Patches quite easily...
Old 02/23/2013, 02:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

Could you show us a screen capture of the Device Info screen, Shea? (White + Sym + P to save screen shot to your Screen Captures folder in Photos.)

From Rod's teardown (and his comments), the Pre 3 comms hardware is physically different than the Pre's. Possibly, this is some wicked early prototype Pre 3 which would be very interesting and Twilighty. But I'm going with Occam's Razor...
Old 02/23/2013, 05:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

crip.

I am in between paychecks. Tight budget.
screepcap? Photobucket..why you no work?

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...25001&refid=17 :wack:
Old 02/23/2013, 07:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheaReinke View Post
That image is 480x720. Which matches the aspect ratio of the Pre/Pre 2 (320x480, scaled up by 1.5x ). It does not match the Pre 3 which is 480x800.

So yeah... VZW Pre Plus.
Liked by RumoredNow and SheaReinke like this.
Thanked by RumoredNow, SheaReinke
Old 02/24/2013, 11:11 AM   #14 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

So Sasquatch remains undiscovered...
Old 02/24/2013, 01:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

So you sent your Pre2 in for repair and they gave you a Pre+? I'd give them a call again if I were you...
Old 02/24/2013, 01:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

Well, the serial number just says it's a + comms board, yes? So could be a 2 body. I dunno. Screenshot just says not a 3.

Sorry, Shea: I really couldn't follow the crazy Glitch story very well. So no idea what its guts are or what to suggest.
Old 02/26/2013, 02:24 PM   #17 (permalink)

the guy at San Diego said it was 'off the shelf' and it came in it's own palm branded box..o I am guessing it is going to be about as stock as it comes. So it's probably a pre pus? kcool cool, I should mosie on over to the plus forums then?
Old 02/26/2013, 02:30 PM   #18 (permalink)

Yup! Although Garret's right: If you're sure you originally had a 2 and they sent back a plus, I'd mosie over to San Diego with a big "wth!?" Pre2 is much sturdier stuff.
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 02/26/2013, 04:49 PM   #19 (permalink)

Don't stay with a PrePlus. Its slower and not as sturdy.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
begginer, long, update

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0