webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > verizon pre3 on page plus?
verizon pre3 on page plus?
  Reply
Like Tree19Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02/20/2013, 05:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 18
Got a verizon pre3 today. Check ESN is good. But the stock webos version is 2.2.5. Do I need to doctor this do 2.2.3 or 2.2.4 to activate in page plus?

Appreciate any advice.
red_sun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2013, 06:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 7
Ha! I knew it! I just got an HpPre3 and the OS is 1.4.5.1 !! I knew there was an update!

Thanks Red_Sun99! Ima.. start my own thread with the story
SheaReinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2013, 08:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 988
Whoa, wait a minute... 2.2.5? You're sure?

Someone smarter than me get over here. Is there a 2.2.5?
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2013, 08:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 18
no joke... i actually have it and so surprised. I didn't know this one actually existed. well... everyone said 2.2.3 and above is good. i will give it a try tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg verizon pre3.jpg (204.5 KB, 118 views) Email Attachment
red_sun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ananimus and kataran like this.
Thanked By: ananimus
Old 02/20/2013, 08:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 988
Also, webOS version shouldn't matter for activation. And if it's really 2.2.5, you actually have a newer version of the phone OS than I've seen available.
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2013, 08:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 988


*yelling* DEVS! Live one over here!

Really though, you and Shea gotta be punking me. 2.2.5 and 1.4.5 on Pre 3s?
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2013, 08:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 18
I read Ryan's article from last year. Maybe I just get my hand on one of the 4 devices he mentioned.

webOS 2.2.5 and 3.0.6 caught in testing logs | webOS Nation
red_sun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2013, 08:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 988
Strange though, why no device name, etc, in the info? If that's for real, the savvier of the folks around here might be interested in having a look.

Sure folks are curious to hear about Page Plus with Pre 3. They're VZW-based, so maybe they'll let you activate it. Check the North America (CDMA) forums here and see how much luck others had.
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2013, 09:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
Strange though, why no device name, etc, in the info? If that's for real, the savvier of the folks around here might be interested in having a look.

Sure folks are curious to hear about Page Plus with Pre 3. They're VZW-based, so maybe they'll let you activate it. Check the North America (CDMA) forums here and see how much luck others had.
I just got it today. It had just gone through a full erase reset. I just put it in dev mode to check out the device. No time to set up my webos account with this one yet. Well... I was looking for a 2nd hand android phone for page plus, and saw this verizon pre3 was on sale for only $75, I just have to have it. If it won't work on page plus, still a nice toy in my collection (as long as my wife doesn't find out about this).
red_sun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2013, 09:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
GMMan's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,136
Can you show us the back with the cover off?
__________________
Contact: @GMMan_BZFlag (me on Twitter)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ananimus likes this.
Old 02/20/2013, 10:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Posts: 2,281
I'm happy to work with you to see if we can pull a 2.2.5 backup and compare it to 2.2.4 to see what the differences are. Contact me by PM please so we can work it out :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
__________________
HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
Herrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked by ananimus, RumoredNow
Old 02/21/2013, 11:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
determinedd's Avatar
 
Posts: 325
Can we see a screen capture of the System Updates, please?
__________________
"just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
determinedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2013, 12:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Can you show us the back with the cover off?
here it is... it does have a sim card slot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg verizon pre3_back.jpg (189.2 KB, 88 views) Email Attachment
red_sun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2013, 12:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
RumoredNow's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,230
Check this thread over in Veer country: WebOS 2.2.3 is already there for Veer

The lead 5 characters of the Serial Number are definitely in line for Verizon Pre 3.

If you got an internal HP/Palm developer's phone and it has 2.2.5, most likely you can't connect to the App Cat or Backup servers due to not having an official release, unless you go the Impostah route...

That said, you might want to donate some info off the phone: Herrie is definitely one of the guys to talk to about how to proceed. John Steffes is another.


__________________
Nokia Lumia 925 (T-Mobile Variant): Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers
LG Nexus 4 (16GB): Sailfish OS EA3
Dell Venue 8 Pro (32GB): Windows 8.1 Desktop OS w/ Office 2013 H&S
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2013, 02:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Posts: 2,281
I sent the instructions to red_sun99 by email as well. I'm happy to help via chat/desktop sharing as well when required

Code:
The steps are as described below (all under Linux or Linux running in VirtualBox):

* Install java if you don't have it www.java.com
* Install the novacom driver, using Jason's Universal novacom installer (it will ask you to download a webos doctor file, you could select the 2.2.4 Verizon for Pre3). http://universal-novacom-installer.googlecode.com/files/Universal%20Novacom%20Installer.jar
* Install the Palm SDK from https://cdn.downloads.palm.com/sdkdownloads/2.1.0.519/sdkBinaries/Palm_webOS_SDK-Win-2.1.0-519-x64.exe

In Linux Terminal run the following commands:

git clone git://git.webos-internals.org/tools/meta-doctor.git

when it gives "done", type:
cd meta-doctor (PRESS ENTER)

mkdir downloads (PRESS ENTER)

Get this file: http://downloads.help.palm.com/webosdoctor/rom/manta/p224r0d12192011/wdmantaverizon/webosdoctorp224mantaverizon.jar, it's a webos doctor 2.2.4 for a Verizon Pre3, it should work for this as we only need one file to boot the Pre3, save it in meta-doctor/downloads, rename it to webosdoctorp224manta-verizon-2.2.4.jar (not 100% sure about the filename, could also be webosdoctorp224manta-vzw-2.2.4.jar or something else)

Plug in your Pre3 (charge mode) and type:

make DEVICE=pre3 CARRIER=verizon memboot backup   (PRESS ENTER)

You will get the uncompressing messages, then your Pre3 will reboot to enter a recovery mode, then you should get some unmounting messages, followed by Cloning messages, and at last some mounting messages. After that your Pre3 should reboot again

This should be more than enough.

There will be a directory inside the clones directory, there's the place where the backup will be.
Herrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: red_sun99
Old 02/21/2013, 03:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
I sent the instructions to red_sun99 by email as well. I'm happy to help via chat/desktop sharing as well when required

Code:
The steps are as described below (all under Linux or Linux running in VirtualBox):

* Install java if you don't have it www.java.com
* Install the novacom driver, using Jason's Universal novacom installer (it will ask you to download a webos doctor file, you could select the 2.2.4 Verizon for Pre3). http://universal-novacom-installer.googlecode.com/files/Universal%20Novacom%20Installer.jar
* Install the Palm SDK from https://cdn.downloads.palm.com/sdkdownloads/2.1.0.519/sdkBinaries/Palm_webOS_SDK-Win-2.1.0-519-x64.exe

In Linux Terminal run the following commands:

git clone git://git.webos-internals.org/tools/meta-doctor.git

when it gives "done", type:
cd meta-doctor (PRESS ENTER)

mkdir downloads (PRESS ENTER)

Get this file: http://downloads.help.palm.com/webosdoctor/rom/manta/p224r0d12192011/wdmantaverizon/webosdoctorp224mantaverizon.jar, it's a webos doctor 2.2.4 for a Verizon Pre3, it should work for this as we only need one file to boot the Pre3, save it in meta-doctor/downloads, rename it to webosdoctorp224manta-verizon-2.2.4.jar (not 100% sure about the filename, could also be webosdoctorp224manta-vzw-2.2.4.jar or something else)

Plug in your Pre3 (charge mode) and type:

make DEVICE=pre3 CARRIER=verizon memboot backup   (PRESS ENTER)

You will get the uncompressing messages, then your Pre3 will reboot to enter a recovery mode, then you should get some unmounting messages, followed by Cloning messages, and at last some mounting messages. After that your Pre3 should reboot again

This should be more than enough.

There will be a directory inside the clones directory, there's the place where the backup will be.
Herrie, I will give a try tonight or over the weekend.

I tried to activate the phone through Impostah in preware but was not successful (unknown rom variant or something like that). Looks like I will have to get some data plan first to activate the phone.
red_sun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/21/2013, 08:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Posts: 2,281
Your distro shoud do fine in general I think, just make sure to have enough space available on your HD :-)

This is because 2.2.5 is not officially recognized by the Production Palm/HP activation servers. It will see it as 9.9.9 version. There is a way around this, so it will display as 2.2.4 and let you activate. But before tampering with this stuff it's better to have a backup first ;-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
__________________
HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
Herrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 02/22/2013, 11:50 AM   #18 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
RumoredNow's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,230
Yes, please... Backup first, twiddle with it later if you can possibly afford to delay activating.
__________________
Nokia Lumia 925 (T-Mobile Variant): Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers
LG Nexus 4 (16GB): Sailfish OS EA3
Dell Venue 8 Pro (32GB): Windows 8.1 Desktop OS w/ Office 2013 H&S
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2013, 03:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 18
For those who come here for page plus question, I have no problem activating the phone through page plus. Just simply dial *22890 after the original phone # was ported. I am now a very happy PPC customer.

I will try to back up the ROM tonight. I was preparing my linux eeePC then realized that Herrie's SDK link is pointing to a windows installation. Tried following SDK installation for Ubuntu Lucid. (https://developer.palm.com/index.php...1585&Itemid=55). Needless to say, it was long and dry... But I am at step 3 now. Should be done by today.
red_sun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked by ananimus, RumoredNow
Old 02/23/2013, 05:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 18
OK. Guys, ROM was backed up and sent to Herrie yesterday. But after he took a quick look, initial report is that there is not much difference.

I was able to sign into Webos account now. Not through impostah, but did a full erase reset and activate through regular process. But App catalog is acting very strange, no icon showing up on the catalog and the paid app is empty. I might just need to doctor it back to 2.2.4 after all.

Anyone else interested in the RoM, pls PM me.
red_sun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Tags
verizon pre3 ppc

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0