webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Turn by Turn Nav?
Turn by Turn Nav?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ArigatoMrTalboto
  • 1 Post By vasekvi

Old 02/14/2013, 09:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hey guys, so its been about a solid couple of weeks of having my pre3; coming from the s3. Everything is going well, but the biggest issue I have is the lack of turn by turn navigation.
I am directionally challenged, so nav is essential.
What is the best way to get tbt nav? I have attempted to use Navit, but the ui and interface on that is horrible. Now there is Ndrive, but they have made the maps unobtainable.
tl;dr best turn by turn navigation for the pre3. thanks guys!
derik123derik123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2013, 09:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hey Derik, try checking out the ScoutMe thread:

Turn by Turn Navigation

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2013, 10:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by derik123derik123 View Post
Hey guys, so its been about a solid couple of weeks of having my pre3; coming from the s3. Everything is going well, but the biggest issue I have is the lack of turn by turn navigation.
I am directionally challenged, so nav is essential.
What is the best way to get tbt nav? I have attempted to use Navit, but the ui and interface on that is horrible. Now there is Ndrive, but they have made the maps unobtainable.
tl;dr best turn by turn navigation for the pre3. thanks guys!
Navit has been constantly upgraded on webos to the latest versions and the UI is stable, side by side with Tom Tom it works quite well. Both have maps on board so no internet connection is needed while travelling in foreign countries (eg Germany, NZ, France for me) where you have no data plan. I have it on a Pre3. Hav eyou used the latest release? Navit 0.5.0.5287-1: new stable release Get it via Preware.
PreRunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: HelloNNNewman
Old 02/14/2013, 10:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks PreRunr - forgot about that one

Old 02/14/2013, 10:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Still using NDrive Beta. Is this not available for download by any means?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums

Vent Mounted Touchstone for Pre3 DIY!
vasekvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2013, 11:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
Still using NDrive Beta. Is this not available for download by any means?
Nope... NDrive pulled the app a while ago

NDrive says farewell to webOS | webOS Nation

Old 02/15/2013, 12:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

They actually have left nDrive Beta 6 up for download here...

http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...Id806yf3-12s9w
ArigatoMrTalboto is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RodStrod likes this.
Thanked By: HelloNNNewman
Old 02/15/2013, 06:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'm still using nDrive Beta 6, recently brought traffic updates from them via the app and it works brilliantly.
Jimbode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2013, 12:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

The problem with nDrive is getting maps. I use Navit, its clunky, but it works for me.
Old 02/15/2013, 02:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

You can buy maps from within the nDrive beta, but you have to use 11.3. I couldn't get the store to work in 11.4 and I saw other reports of the same problem.

Navit also works well. Try installing the Navit Maps companion program and you can use Just Type to enter addresses instead of going through the Navit UI if you find it clunky. Or, you can install the excellent homebrew Google Maps application and do your searching there, and then choose 'Route with Navit' and it'll start Navit for you and set up the route.
trwrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2013, 09:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

Can't find the link, but both 11.3 and 11.4 for nDrive beta are floating on the forum somewhere. And yes, can confirm what trwrt said. As of last week you can still buy the maps using 11.3 (not 11.4). Having now given it a go, I highly recommend it for driving directions.

Cheers to Navit + Google Maps as well.

It's actually been nice getting away from TeleNav. Uses a bit less juice using stored map data, and I don't get hosed if I need directions out in the sticks.
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2013, 09:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

And I can now verify that if you purchase the nDrive maps with beta 11.3, it's possible to make your own back up copy. They end up in

Code:
/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.ndrive.palmbeta012/maps/
I can also verify that it's painfully slow to move them from there to /media/internal and back again using Internalz. So don't expect to just copy and move along. Seriously takes like half an hour. If you use Internalz, it will notify you when the copy is done.

Can also verify that you can install the 11.4 ipk then copy the maps folder back and it still works. Not sure what the improvements were from 11.3. Looks the same so far. (Edit: Except for their being a US English voice. Think I still like the UK English lady though.)

Clean migration to my Pre 3 complete.
Old 02/23/2013, 08:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

So my Pre3 just went stupid and now will not start the camera or play any media files. All sounds are now annoying system sounds. So if I back up my whole phone in USB mode, doctor my phone and reinstall NDrive Beta 6 v11.3.03, can I copy my maps from the backup on my computer back to /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/appliations/com.ndrive.palmbeta012/maps/

?

Just copy what was in the directory and copy it back? Will I lose my subscription to traffic updates?*

Old 02/23/2013, 08:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

Dunno about subscriptions. But yes, if you copy the maps out of the maps path in cryptofs and put them back, they'll still work without redownloading.

Suggest replacing them after reinstalling nDrive but before first launch. It seemed to do a file scan at first launch and recognized the maps.
Old 02/23/2013, 09:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
Dunno about subscriptions. But yes, if you copy the maps out of the maps path in cryptofs and put them back, they'll still work without redownloading.

Suggest replacing them after reinstalling nDrive but before first launch. It seemed to do a file scan at first launch and recognized the maps.
Awesome. Great advice, thank you. I love this community, its the best! Backing up and doctoring now.

Old 03/06/2013, 11:27 AM   #16 (permalink)

Oh no...

I put my Pre3 in USB mode and copied everything to a folder on my computer. I just assumed all the directories would be intact, but this directory did not copy over to my computer.

/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/appliations/com.ndrive.palmbeta012/maps/

I should have double checked before I wiped my device but am I just SOL now?

Old 03/06/2013, 04:11 PM   #17 (permalink)

Yes, you should have checked. The base path that you see in USB drive mode is /media/internal. You can't go any higher up than that. So you can't see the cryptofs folder that way. You have to, for example, first copy the maps folder from the cryptofs path to something on /media/internal. For that you need something like novaterm or Internalz which lets you browse the whole filesystem. Then you'll see a copy in drive mode. Then when done copy them back.

Sorry, man! If you're very lucky, maybe you can somehow log back in and redownload without repaying? I mostly just posted this cuz it took forEVer to download in the first place. (And, incidentally, takes a long time to move them around on the device, too. Using Internals, it takes something like 15 mins to finish each move.)
Old 03/07/2013, 03:36 PM   #18 (permalink)

I'm back in business!

Thankfully, once I used Impostah to connect my phone back to my palm profile where I had all my apps purchased, I downloaded NDrive again through PreWare using App Tuckerbox (funny if you search for "NDrive" you get 0 results but it does come up if you search for "Beta 6")

Once I ran the app, it remembered my previous purchases and let me download my purchases, so I have my maps back! It even remembered I had a subscription to traffic that ends this month lol.

So, NDrive remains an excellent solution for turn by turn navigation, and anyone who just got a webOS phone should still be able to purchase maps on their device. Although for the best traffic updates, Google Maps is the way to go. I've gotten into numerous gridlock situations with NDrive where it still showed the roads green. I am not resubscribing to traffic updates.

Liked by ananimus likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0