webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > webOS Doctor HOWTO?
webOS Doctor HOWTO?
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By bellonsn
  • 2 Post By ananimus
  • 2 Post By Anastasia
  • 1 Post By Anastasia

Old 02/14/2013, 04:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hi all,

I'm an owner of a Pre3 since it was released and I'm very happy with it. However, recently it crashes a lot, i.e. it either freezes completely or restarts itself etc. I am not sure whether it is a hardware problem or a software issue.

That's the reason why I think I should doctor the Pre3 and try whether the problems disappear. However I have never used the doctor before. Is there a HOWTO or some instructions of what to do in which order? E.g. what preparation of data backup do I have to do before doctoring? Do apps from the HP catalog have to be installed again or are they automatically installed after doctoring? What about my accounts (contacts, calender, etc.)? Are they automatcially restored via HP's backup or do I have to set them up again? What about Preware? I assume that I have to install Preware and all patches again via WebOS Quick Install.

So, before starting the doctoring I'd like to make sure I have prepared everything and not miss something.

TIA,
Stefan
bellonsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2013, 04:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

Also, whether best to 'Doctor' to V.2.2.3 or V.2.2.4 may be of some relevance at this juncture for you?
Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2013, 05:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

you could have a look at HP's site Palm Support : Using HP webOS Doctor

You could also have 'quick' read of Nation of Excess Doctoring

Doctoring is very easy to do, but the first time is always a bit nervy as you have this nagging doubt it could fail. There are however very helpful and dedicated people on this forum who will try to get you going again.

You'll have to set up your accounts again, but everything you purchased will be restored. Any patches you'll need to apply again, but if you use Emergency Patch Recovery and save/restore, etc from preware this will ease the burden of reinstalling.

But as GMMan says (Nation of Excess Doctoring), it is better to find out why it is crashing. If you doctor and reload all the same Apps and patches you could end up right back here with a crashing Pre3.
MikeN68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2013, 06:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for your links, I'll take a loot at them.

The issue is that I really (!) did not install any new apps or patches for the last weeks but the Pre3 started to behave strangely for the last few days. So, either it is really some hardware problem or some data has piled up and is causing the trouble. I really doubt that it's caused by some application or patch itself because I haven't touched them for quite a while and trouble started just recently.
Old 02/14/2013, 08:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Lol, first time I doctored my Pre2 I was on pins and needles. But, after the dust settles, it worked nicely.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/2013, 01:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

I think I hosed up my Pre 3...royally. I downloaded the Doctor from WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals. What's next? It shows as a .zipped file, but Win7 doesn't recognize it as such. Help???
Anastasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/2013, 01:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

If you downloaded it from a link on that page, it should be a .jar file (Java archive). By giving it ye olde double click, a Java app should launch, assuming you have Java installed. From there it'll tell you what to do.
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/2013, 01:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

In my Downloads folder, Win7 can see into the .zip file I re-downloaded and it contains three folders: com, META-INF, and resources. Besides .png and class files and such, the most exciting things I see are in the resources folder, and those are tar files (unix?).
Old 05/04/2013, 01:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

...and, ya, I see that the link indicates a .jar extension, which is why I'm so very confused.
Old 05/04/2013, 03:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Well it is an archive that can be opened like a zip file. But if you have Java installed, it should be associated with Java. Reinstall Java runtime from Sun maybe?
Old 05/04/2013, 10:34 AM   #11 (permalink)

Hmmm...I don't think so. Windows associates .zip files with compressed files, not Java. Even though the downloads on that page all seem to say .jar, they download as .zips. So...unless they're supposed to be renamed to .jars...or there's some other step missing...?
Old 05/04/2013, 11:40 AM   #12 (permalink)

You can certainly try renaming it to .jar, but all the Pre 3 doctors on that page already look like ~225 MB jars to me when I fetch them. Which one in particular are you using?

And what I was saying was that the .jar association may have been changed. But if the extension is definitely .zip, then...
Old 05/04/2013, 11:48 AM   #13 (permalink)

That's the problem. If you look at the page and it says you're downloading .jar files, you'd think they were....jar files, right? But when they really download, they're .zip files with those three folders inside that I mentioned. The downloaded .zip files are very large files (~224M), so it would appear that there's good stuff in there, but with a non-Java extension, not sure how to get the thing to launch properly.

If I log on to my Palm Profile online, I can get the webOS doctor for my TouchPad, but it says that my Pre3's serial number is invalid...which it's not...so I can't download the webOS doctor from there; hence, my struggle to get the doctor from the WebOS Internals page.

BTW: I greatly appreciate you trying to help me!!!
Old 05/04/2013, 12:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

BTW: If you can download the Pre 3 AT&T webOS Doctor as a .jar file, can you send it to me? I'm trying to contact HP to have them fix their Palm Profile site so I can download it from there...but that won't happen over the weekend (unless someone has a direct phone number?)
Old 05/04/2013, 12:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

Just rename the .zip to .jar and double-click.
Liked by ananimus likes this.
Thanked By: Anastasia
Old 05/04/2013, 01:37 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quick question: I'm running Win7 with a WinXP virtual machine. I've launched webOS Doctor from Win7, and got to the point where it says:

------------
Connect your device directly to your computer with your USB cable.

Do not remove the battery or disconnect your device during this process.
------------

<Next> is greyed-out.

According to Windows Explorer, the Pre3 is connected. Is webOS Doctor functioning, or is it waiting for me to "connect it"...even though it's connected? It's looked like this for five or 10 minutes so far. I just don't want to kill anything after the second sentence's admonition....

UPDATE...

Did it from WinXP, with the Pre3 not shared. Same thing. It looks like it's not detecting the device. Sheesh, this is getting more and more complicated. Help???

Last edited by Anastasia; 05/04/2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05/04/2013, 02:06 PM   #17 (permalink)

Running it in Win7 is fine. Once you plug it in and the doctor recognizes it, the button should no longer be greyed out. *If* you haven't pushed "next" yet and it's still waiting, you can cancel or close it. Replug it in and try again? Once you hit next it should start going, or maybe it will spend time charging the phone up first. After pushing that "Next" button is the point where there's no going back and you just wait until it's done. (Or maybe there was one more next button after?) It's friendly otherwise.
Old 05/04/2013, 02:10 PM   #18 (permalink)

For anyone nervous, here's a nice overview of what doctoring a webOS device (TouchPad) looks like. The same applies.

Jump to 3:30. Also ignore the "oops, I booted into Android" stuff around 6:30- 7:00: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgUIlBZ85d8

RIght now you're at about 7:10 in that video.

Maybe the part your missing is booting into recovery mode. For the Pre 3, you have to power off, then hold the Volume Up button while you turn it back on. That'll get you the USB symbol. Then when you plug it in, the doctor can see it. If successful you'll see the screen at about 9:00 in that video.

Ref: http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/How_To_Recover
Liked by Anastasia and carancha like this.
Thanked by Anastasia, carancha
Old 05/04/2013, 03:00 PM   #19 (permalink)

HA!!! That's EXACTLY what I needed to do!!! (Power down-hold the volume up-power on). THANK YOU!!! It's going. Keep your fingers crossed....
Liked by ananimus and carancha like this.
Old 05/04/2013, 04:06 PM   #20 (permalink)

So, to summarize (and save other newbies like me some pain):

#1 Download your webOS Doctor version from here: WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals based on your webOS device

#2 If the file downloads as a .zip change the .zip extension to .jar

#3 If you don't already have Java version 1.5 or above, download and install it from here: java.com: Java + You

#4 Double-click on the webOS Doctor file to install it

#5 Power down your device, and then power it back up in recovery mode

- For Pre3 and TouchPad (at least), hold the volume up button and then press the power button

#6 When the USB symbol appears on the device screen, connect the device to the computer using its USB cable

#7 Follow the prompts on the webOS Doctor program

#8 Once the device reboots, disconnect from the computer, and follow the device's prompts which includes restoring your apps and data using your Palm (or HP) Profile
Liked by ananimus likes this.
Thanked By: eKeith

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0