Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By syeager
  1.    #1  
    I just bought a new HP Pre 3 for AT&T and I love it. I am trying to confirm I am getting optimal data access with HSPA+. I see the H+ icon but on my speed test app, I get as little as 300kbps to as much as 2.1mbps download speeds. Please let me know if any other Pre 3 users on AT&T have had success and if they had to do anything to improve it.
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Im curious about this too. I just activated my Pre3 yesterday on Straight Talk. I have the h+ symbol. What is the best way to test speed?
  3.    #3  
    i use net speed from the app catalog. it is not optimized for the pre 3 screen, but it works. i use it on my touchpad as well.

i tried to go to the speedtest website but that did not render well and i did not wait for it to complete.

anyone else?
    If you google there are a few usable mobile speed test sites. You will need to select then largest download size they offer to test faux-G speeds.
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I downloaded this app earlier today. Its giving me much different speeds now then it did a few hours ago (sitting in the same exact place. Last test said 786 KBit/s Dowload, 227.8KBit/s Upload, 283ms ping. Earlier today download was less than 200 and upload had failed.

3rd try: 1.1MBit/s Down, 179.5KBit/s Up, 341ms ping
    Last edited by bimmin; 02/08/2013 at 03:25 PM.
  6.    #6  
    i am seeing similar results. network can fluctuate and i would almost expect it to. however, anything under 1mbps is sad. i read a review that compared an older iphone 4 to the pre 3 on at&t and they said the iphone got on average / peak of about 2bmps and 5mbps where as the pre 3 got 5mpbs and 8mbps. i was excited to see if i could get similar (ok, i was hoping for even better but would of hoped for at least iphone 4 results). i have not broken 2mbps often and most of the time it is at 1mbps or even less. i still hope there is some sort of tweak that can be done to improve this.
    There's a patch in Preware to unthrottle download speed.... Might be worth to try....

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    The issue may be more the testing tools. A lot of them are painfully inaccurate for H+. Mobile speed test and the app mentioned above included in my experience. They'd say 100 kbps on one test then 10 Mbps the next!

Also on an AT&T Pre 3. Using a Straight Talk AT&T SIM.

Eventually I figured how to get running in the browser Flash reasonably well. I also used freeTether then tested from my laptop.

I typically got 1-3 Mbps, in the SF Bay Area. That lines up with what I read on Howard Forums. They also say T-Mo is verifiably faster at 10 Mbps typical. (There are already tons of threads on this...)

At any rate, the 2 Mbps is pretty solid and folks say AT&T's coverage is slightly better.
    I would add, I'm coming from a soon-to-be Sprint convert perspective.

Their 3G has slowed to a CRAWL the last few years by comparison. The drop off seemed to start around the time they rolled out WiMAX back in Chicago. I used to get 700 - 1000 kbps everywhere. Now my Pre 2's usually hitting 150 kbps consistently. Both here and back in Chicago. So yeah, > 1Mbps is solid.

I wonder if carriers will ever consider tiering more on speed instead of total bandwidth as things press forward.
    Just giving it another go to see how I'm faring. Not bad! Pre 3 on AT&T Straight Talk. The result is very consistent over three tests.

This is in Firefox while using freeTether. For some reason I always have to choose my own server. It wants to put me in FL even though I'm in CA. So ping number may not be accurate (?).

Edit: And I *do* use the Unthrottle patch Herrie mentioned, fwiw.
  11.    #11  
    Talked to at&t and it seems h+ is working. i have been getting inconsistant results but it seems to be a network issue. i tested my pre 3 next to an iphone 4s and both were only getting the same 285k download at the same moment. later on my way home, my pre 3 clocked a download at 3.3mbps, so i am as satisfied as i can be on this network. as a side note, all phones i tried at the at&t store were experiencing inconsistancies and even 2 different htc lte phones were getting SINGLE DIGIT downloads on lte. so, as i said; network issues.
    ananimus likes this.
    Good to hear it's all good! And yeah, once or twice a week I see speeds randomly dip too. No rhyme or reason. By and large it's been Mbps though.