webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > New AT&T Pre 3 has H+ but not a lot of speed
New AT&T Pre 3 has H+ but not a lot of speed
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By syeager

Old 02/08/2013, 11:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

I just bought a new HP Pre 3 for AT&T and I love it. I am trying to confirm I am getting optimal data access with HSPA+. I see the H+ icon but on my speed test app, I get as little as 300kbps to as much as 2.1mbps download speeds. Please let me know if any other Pre 3 users on AT&T have had success and if they had to do anything to improve it.
syeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2013, 12:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Im curious about this too. I just activated my Pre3 yesterday on Straight Talk. I have the h+ symbol. What is the best way to test speed?
bimmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2013, 02:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

i use net speed from the app catalog. it is not optimized for the pre 3 screen, but it works. i use it on my touchpad as well.

i tried to go to the speedtest website but that did not render well and i did not wait for it to complete.

anyone else?
Old 02/08/2013, 03:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you google there are a few usable mobile speed test sites. You will need to select then largest download size they offer to test faux-G speeds.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2013, 03:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

I downloaded this app earlier today. Its giving me much different speeds now then it did a few hours ago (sitting in the same exact place. Last test said 786 KBit/s Dowload, 227.8KBit/s Upload, 283ms ping. Earlier today download was less than 200 and upload had failed.

3rd try: 1.1MBit/s Down, 179.5KBit/s Up, 341ms ping

Last edited by bimmin; 02/08/2013 at 03:25 PM.
bimmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2013, 03:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

i am seeing similar results. network can fluctuate and i would almost expect it to. however, anything under 1mbps is sad. i read a review that compared an older iphone 4 to the pre 3 on at&t and they said the iphone got on average / peak of about 2bmps and 5mbps where as the pre 3 got 5mpbs and 8mbps. i was excited to see if i could get similar (ok, i was hoping for even better but would of hoped for at least iphone 4 results). i have not broken 2mbps often and most of the time it is at 1mbps or even less. i still hope there is some sort of tweak that can be done to improve this.
Old 02/08/2013, 05:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

There's a patch in Preware to unthrottle download speed.... Might be worth to try....

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 02/08/2013, 08:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

The issue may be more the testing tools. A lot of them are painfully inaccurate for H+. Mobile speed test and the app mentioned above included in my experience. They'd say 100 kbps on one test then 10 Mbps the next!

Also on an AT&T Pre 3. Using a Straight Talk AT&T SIM.

Eventually I figured how to get speedtest.net running in the browser Flash reasonably well. I also used freeTether then tested from my laptop.

I typically got 1-3 Mbps, in the SF Bay Area. That lines up with what I read on Howard Forums. They also say T-Mo is verifiably faster at 10 Mbps typical. (There are already tons of threads on this...)

At any rate, the 2 Mbps is pretty solid and folks say AT&T's coverage is slightly better.
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2013, 08:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

I would add, I'm coming from a soon-to-be Sprint convert perspective.

Their 3G has slowed to a CRAWL the last few years by comparison. The drop off seemed to start around the time they rolled out WiMAX back in Chicago. I used to get 700 - 1000 kbps everywhere. Now my Pre 2's usually hitting 150 kbps consistently. Both here and back in Chicago. So yeah, > 1Mbps is solid.

I wonder if carriers will ever consider tiering more on speed instead of total bandwidth as things press forward.
Old 02/09/2013, 04:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Just giving it another go to see how I'm faring. Not bad! Pre 3 on AT&T Straight Talk. The result is very consistent over three tests.

This is in Firefox while using freeTether. For some reason I always have to choose my own server. It wants to put me in FL even though I'm in CA. So ping number may not be accurate (?).

Edit: And I *do* use the Unthrottle patch Herrie mentioned, fwiw.
Old 02/09/2013, 07:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

Talked to at&t and it seems h+ is working. i have been getting inconsistant results but it seems to be a network issue. i tested my pre 3 next to an iphone 4s and both were only getting the same 285k download at the same moment. later on my way home, my pre 3 clocked a download at 3.3mbps, so i am as satisfied as i can be on this network. as a side note, all phones i tried at the at&t store were experiencing inconsistancies and even 2 different htc lte phones were getting SINGLE DIGIT downloads on lte. so, as i said; network issues.
Liked by ananimus likes this.
Old 02/09/2013, 09:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

Good to hear it's all good! And yeah, once or twice a week I see speeds randomly dip too. No rhyme or reason. By and large it's been Mbps though.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0