webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > any hope for internet surveillance camera software
any hope for internet surveillance camera software
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By dkirker

Old 02/06/2013, 06:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

I have surveillance cameras in 2 homes and would love to be able to see the cameras through the web enabled dvrs as I do on my android tablets or windows desktop ...is there no hope for this to make my beloved pre3 perfect ??
patapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2013, 06:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
I have surveillance cameras in 2 homes and would love to be able to see the cameras through the web enabled dvrs as I do on my android tablets or windows desktop ...is there no hope for this to make my beloved pre3 perfect ??
Depending on your camera, you may be able to at least view them without any additional software. What kind of cameras (brands/models) do you use?

If you have a camera that outputs in H.264 format, then webOS can play that natively. If the camera only outputs in MJPG format, it is still possible to get a feed to your webOS device with a more elaborate workaround. (On a side note, using any pan/tilt/zoom functions of a camera is a different matter altogether which I wont get into right now.)

The main thing you will need first is what is called the "direct stream URL" or "videostream URL" for each camera. This is often provided in the manual or online support for security cameras. If you have trouble finding it, see if your brand has its own forum and ask there too. It's a pretty common question so it should be easy to find. Once you have that info I can help you further.

I've been thinking about writing more detail about some things I've put together on this topic when I get a chance, perhaps in a separate thread or how-to.

Last edited by ArchonAdvisors; 02/07/2013 at 08:25 AM.
ArchonAdvisors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2013, 07:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Anyone interested in a IP Security camera viewer app?

end page set of posts on that thread mentioned various problems with many devices "doing their own thing" making it hard to support a multitude of devices, someone in those posts does mention using a PC as a medium to stream to their touchpad (and maybe pre3, it streams just as well and supports more i think, as i can stream TV programs on the pre3 that the touchpad refuses to play).
Old 02/07/2013, 08:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
Anyone interested in a IP Security camera viewer app?

end page set of posts on that thread mentioned various problems with many devices "doing their own thing" making it hard to support a multitude of devices, someone in those posts does mention using a PC as a medium to stream to their touchpad (and maybe pre3, it streams just as well and supports more i think, as i can stream TV programs on the pre3 that the touchpad refuses to play).
Thanks GP. If the OP is mainly interested in viewing the video, it isn't too hard. When a camera provides a direct stream URL for the camera feed, that can be used to bypass everything else and the solution is generally the same. (When it comes to Pan/Tilt/Zoom ("PTZ") functions, however, the solution would typically have to be device specific.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
someone in those posts does mention using a PC as a medium to stream to their touchpad (and maybe pre3, it streams just as well and supports more i think, as i can stream TV programs on the pre3 that the touchpad refuses to play).
The post mentioning a PC as a medium was referring to using the Splashtop remote desktop viewing app to then use a Windows desktop web browser to view a camera. While that works, it's a bit kludgy, especially just for feed viewing. That method also restricts you to viewing the camera on one webOS device at a time.

If a camera supports h.264, it may stream directly to a webOS device with a little tweaking. If it only supports MJPG, an intermediary PC can be used, but I've come up with a cross-platform solution that runs in the background on the PC and does not require any commercial software either on the PC or the webOS device. Only a free open-source program is needed on the PC end. Looks like a how-to post on that is now in order sooner than later if people are interested.

*Update: I've started a couple how-to's relating to this. Linked below:

How to: MP4/h.264 IP Camera Streaming to webOS devices

How to: MJPEG/MJPG IP Camera Streaming to webOS devices

_

Last edited by ArchonAdvisors; 10/13/2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02/07/2013, 05:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

^I would be interested.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2013, 09:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

I was working on Cisco support in HomeControl. There should be discussion about it on these boards.

It works. I just shelved my contributions for the time being. Will probably work on it again later.
Old 02/08/2013, 03:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonAdvisors View Post
Thanks GP. If the OP is mainly interested in viewing the video, it isn't too hard. When a camera provides a direct stream URL for the camera feed, that can be used to bypass everything else and the solution is generally the same. (When it comes to Pan/Tilt/Zoom ("PTZ") functions, however, the solution would typically have to be device specific.)

The post mentioning a PC as a medium was referring to using the Splashtop remote desktop viewing app to then use a Windows desktop web browser to view a camera. While that works, it's a bit kludgy, especially just for feed viewing. That method also restricts you to viewing the camera on one webOS device at a time.

If a camera supports h.264, it may stream directly to a webOS device with a little tweaking. If it only supports MJPG, an intermediary PC can be used, but I've produced a cross-platform solution that runs in the background on the PC and does not require any commercial software either on the PC or the webOS device. Only a free open-source program is needed on the PC end. Looks like a how-to post on that is now in order sooner than later if people are interested.
sadly, very little ...

the cameras ave viewable by 2 free apps on android tablets:

app #1 = gDMSS HD Lite
app #2 = DWVMax

both are on the google play for free...

both have a display and management screen to view live and to view recorded history transited via web enabled dedicated DVRs ...more, I don't exactly know...
patapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2013, 02:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
sadly, very little ...

the cameras ave viewable by 2 free apps on android tablets:

app #1 = gDMSS HD Lite
app #2 = DWVMax

both are on the google play for free...

both have a display and management screen to view live and to view recorded history transited via web enabled dedicated DVRs ...more, I don't exactly know...
Do you know what brand and/or model your cameras are at least? Also, did you have to put any settings into either of those two android apps to get them connected to your cameras? If so, what were those settings? Those pieces of info will at least give me a clue where to point you.

Last edited by ArchonAdvisors; 02/10/2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02/10/2013, 02:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

I just looked into those two apps themselves briefly, and it looks like the 1st one is specifically for cameras made by "Zhejiang Dahua Technology Co., Ltd. " The 2nd app is for cameras made by a company named "Digital Watchdog". Do those sound familiar? See if you can find a model name/number someplace on each of the devices.

As you might expect, the more obscure a brand is, the harder it often is to get info on. Hopefully there is enough known about your cameras to help get you going.
Old 02/10/2013, 03:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Dug further and found some potential info for your cameras. The links below list the format of the direct stream url's for some models of Dahua and Digital Watchdog cameras respectively. Start trying them and see if one works for each of your devices.

Connect to Dahua IP cameras

Connect to Digital Watchdog IP cameras

If you don't already have an updated copy of VLC media player on your PC, you will need it to try out these url's, so go ahead and get it from VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework! and install it. Then run VLC and click Media --> Open Network Stream, and try connecting to your cameras with the different urls from above (substituting your info in each one where appropriate) and see if one works.

If you can get your camera to play in VLC this way, we can very likely get it up on your webOS device.

Last edited by ArchonAdvisors; 02/10/2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02/10/2013, 10:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonAdvisors View Post
If you can get your camera to play in VLC this way, we can very likely get it up on your webOS device.
What are you basing that assumption on? VLC supports an insane number of codecs and containers, while webOS supports a very, very small subset and is even highly sensitive to the encoding of MP4 streams being sent to it, so it's somewhat disingenuous to suggest there's a high probability of success just because it works in VLC.

A lot of these types of IP-camera apps have been proposed since webOS first came out (just search the forums), and not one ever did because of the technical deficiencies in webOS in terms of codec/container support and the seriously kludgy workarounds that people would have to do in order to make it work (installing programs on your PC, etc).

On other platforms, all I have to do is plug in the address and login credentials and the app automatically knows what to do.

Look, if having access to your home webcam is critical, I'd just recommend getting a cheap Android device (or sticking with one if you already have it) and installing "IP Camera Viewer" on it; it knows hundreds of network camera brands and thousands upon thousands of cameras with full pan/tilt/zoom and other camera-specific functionality right out of the gate. It's simply too late in the game for webOS in its current state to get an app of that caliber and comprehensiveness on the platform.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2013, 10:33 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncc View Post
^I would be interested.
Check the link I added to post #4 for the h.264 camera how-to. The MJPG camera how-to will be a bit more involved.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0