webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Pre 3 or iphone 4
Pre 3 or iphone 4
Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By stupidlester
  • 2 Post By carldc
  • 1 Post By nitido357
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover

Old 02/04/2013, 03:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

I am ready to go for a pre 3 instead of an iphone 4. Are there lots of issues with the pre3 or is it pretty stable. I understand the issue of having almost no apps. Thanks.
danshawna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 04:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

If you want a lot of apps to constantly mess around with I'd suggest the iPhone. If you are looking for a smooth, intuitive device to use as a daily driver phone, you can't go wrong with the Pre3. The core apps are there for daily use, but you won't have the constant influx of apps to play with like the other OS. The Pre3 is solid and had the apps that I need to use... but I use a Touchpad for games and stuff.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by danshawna, plyboult
Old 02/04/2013, 05:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
If you want a lot of apps to constantly mess around with I'd suggest the iPhone. If you are looking for a smooth, intuitive device to use as a daily driver phone, you can't go wrong with the Pre3. The core apps are there for daily use, but you won't have the constant influx of apps to play with like the other OS. The Pre3 is solid and had the apps that I need to use... but I use a Touchpad for games and stuff.
Agreed. I've been using my Pre 3 for almost 1.5 years and I have no regrets. My wife recently upgraded from an iPhone 3 to an iPhone 5, and I'm not jealous or envious at all.

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini
..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
carldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: danshawna
Old 02/04/2013, 05:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the comments so far. Can anyone verify if YouVersion bible works with Pre 3 WebOS? Thanks again.
danshawna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2013, 04:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danshawna View Post
Thanks for the comments so far. Can anyone verify if YouVersion bible works with Pre 3 WebOS? Thanks again.
No, but there are quite a few Bible apps for Pre 3 (at least, I get quite a few results when searching for it). You can use AppCatalog Search to search the app catalogue from your browser and check it out for yourself
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: danshawna
Old 02/05/2013, 10:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

I switched from a pre plus to an iphone 4s because I thought I wanted all the apps..... Wrong
After a week I quit caring about apps other than facebook and twitter. Then I learned the hard way how delicate the screens are on iphones. The glass breaks if you look at it wrong. Glass doesnt scratch as easy as other materials but it breaks a heck of a lot easier. I replaced one screen then broke the new one. I gave up and bought a pre 3. Apps are over rated. 99% are useless garbage.
stupidlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by nitido357, Rnp, barryb20 and 1 others like this.
Thanked by danshawna, nitido357, Rnp
Old 02/05/2013, 06:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidlester View Post
I switched from a pre plus to an iphone 4s because I thought I wanted all the apps..... Wrong
After a week I quit caring about apps other than facebook and twitter. Then I learned the hard way how delicate the screens are on iphones. The glass breaks if you look at it wrong. Glass doesnt scratch as easy as other materials but it breaks a heck of a lot easier. I replaced one screen then broke the new one. I gave up and bought a pre 3. Apps are over rated. 99% are useless garbage.
Aaaaaaaaa-MEN!!

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini
..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
carldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by nitido357 and Rnp like this.
Thanked by danshawna, nitido357, Rnp
Old 02/05/2013, 08:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

we played with an iPhone before buying veers, over year and a half later still on webOS
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/06/2013, 07:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidlester View Post
Whole heartedly agree, that is my opinion too but the general public seem to think they "need" the apps so all the "tech" sites decry a phone for lack of apps.

I would be very interested how many they actually use after the first few times.

A lot of the times they (the apps) are just portals to a website, sometimes with less functionality!

Barry

Back to Pre 3 from a Note 2 and loving it!
barryb20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/06/2013, 10:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

Unless the iPhone implemented a proper USB drive function, my father's iPhone 4 turned me completely off, just for this reason. Moreover, people complain about the UI of Symbian with all the menus and I fail to see how the iPhone is significantly better. As said, if you care about apps, go to Jobs. If you care about UI, webOS.
bassman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/06/2013, 12:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Remember also that iPhone is very locked down.

If you are used to modding on webOS that will mostly disappear on iPhone...
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/06/2013, 12:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

for me i can't say that I find the Pre3 to be particularly stable. I love webOS but I experience lots of erratic behaviour. For instance often when I open a website(even via WiFi) I just get a spinning orb. When I scroll to reveal the address bar the url has disappeared. Or when a web page has nearly loaded the screen goes grey and the whole thing reloads. Same sort of thing happens with facebook. I often have to hit refresh several times before it actually works. While the iPhone is a bit of a playschool UI its performance is rock solid. I just wish I could have the Touchpad version of webOS on my Pre3 as that is really good.
hagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/06/2013, 02:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

I had an iPhone 4 for about a year and a half. Jailbroken and all and I still found that I used about 10 apps most of the time.

In my opinion, most mobile websites replicate the need for dedicated ipnone/android apps on one's device. I essentially replaced all of my most used apps which had not equivalent on WebOS. With the exception of Netflix (which I mostly use on my tablet anyways), I don't miss much from the iPhone's selection of apps.
Old 02/06/2013, 02:52 PM   #14 (permalink)

I totally agree. I rarely use most apps. For me the deal maker/breaker is work EAS access. As long as I have that, I'm happy. I use forum apps, but to reduce the need I improved the mobile version of my own forums to take advantage of modern mobile browsers, and it works great on my Pre/Plus/2.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/06/2013, 02:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitido357 View Post
I had an iPhone 4 for about a year and a half. Jailbroken and all and I still found that I used about 10 apps most of the time.

In my opinion, most mobile websites replicate the need for dedicated ipnone/android apps on one's device. I essentially replaced all of my most used apps which had not equivalent on WebOS. With the exception of Netflix (which I mostly use on my tablet anyways), I don't miss much from the iPhone's selection of apps.
im sitting here with 5 tablets of varying sizes/shapes/origin, 2x touchpads, 1x ipad3, 1x 7" android, 1x8" android and ive experienced the same, its all nice and exciting browsing heaps of apps on android and ipad but most are carbon copies of each other with minimal changes or they dont work or as you and others have said their just not worth using full stop, again i use my android pads mostly for netflix/tvcatchup and some emulators (and only here because i can attach a joypad to play games) and the ipads just ended up as glorified tv.

many have said and its true, once you have your handful of core apps you dont really need anything else, in fact the "everythign else" category always ends up being games, and from what ive seen their all just rehashes of the same old thing, esp gameloft stuff, they have soooooo many games that are identical in gameplay with different gfx and play style and their all boring as hell after the first day.

stick to a intuitive and easy to operate OS/phone imho that has the stuff you need and works well enough, everything else you can probably get on a cheapo < 65 android tablet (or touchpad if you have one), which you can just tether to your phone if need be.
Old 02/06/2013, 10:14 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
If you want a lot of apps to constantly mess around with I'd suggest the iPhone. If you are looking for a smooth, intuitive device to use as a daily driver phone, you can't go wrong with the Pre3.
Is the Pre3 really smooth? I have a Veer and the lag and stuttering drives me crazy. Especially when using the phone app and scrolling through contacts. Whenever I go to my iPhone 4S it's like night and day as far as responsiveness.
vert3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2013, 12:11 AM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Is the Pre3 really smooth? I have a Veer and the lag and stuttering drives me crazy. Especially when using the phone app and scrolling through contacts. Whenever I go to my iPhone 4S it's like night and day as far as responsiveness.
I noticed some delay in the phoneapp as well. It seems that when you have a long call history it gets slower. So I delete my call history on a regular basis and that seems to work. I guess it's partly due to Enyo and the 800mhz of the Veer. Enyo 2.0 would probably run smoother, but it's a hell of a job to convert the phone app to Enyo 2.0...

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 02/07/2013, 02:08 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vert3 View Post
Don't scroll through contacts... Just Type. Start typing the persons name or their initials, etc.... don't even open the phone app. Once you get used to it, you won't want to use any other OS. Oh and you don't have to type just type, as long as a card isn't in focus, you can just start typing with the KB.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 02/07/2013, 04:32 PM   #19 (permalink)

I have a pre2 and I run it on 2.1 mostly because I hated the enyo phone app in 2.2.4 so much.
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0