webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Switching phones between pre 3 and galaxy note 2 on verizon
Switching phones between pre 3 and galaxy note 2 on verizon
Like Tree5Likes

Old 01/27/2013, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Is this hard to do? I plan on going back and forth on verizon but not sure how it is switching back and forth between a 4g phone and the 3g Verizon pre 3. any insight would be helpful
stu5797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 06:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

You mean switching between handsets on the fly?
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 06:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
You mean switching between handsets on the fly?
Yes that's exactly what I'm talking about
Old 01/27/2013, 06:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

It's easy all you have to do is call Verizon. I switched from a droid Incredible 4G to the original palm pre lol.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2
touchthatpad106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 06:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knicks2030 View Post
It's easy all you have to do is call Verizon. I switched from a droid Incredible 4G to the original palm pre lol.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2
Is it true once you go from a 4g phone to a 3g phone your 4g sim becomes useless? I heard you then have to get a new 4g sim card to reactivate the 4g phone
Old 01/27/2013, 07:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knicks2030 View Post
It's easy all you have to do is call Verizon.
Is it really no hassle to bounce back and forth more than once? I know on Sprint, it's sort of annoying to switch handsets. Having to get them to change the phone in their system then get the phone updated. Not as straightforward as on GSM carriers where you can just physically SIM swap.
Old 01/27/2013, 07:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
Is it really no hassle to bounce back and forth more than once? I know on Sprint, it's sort of annoying to switch handsets. Having to get them to change the phone in their system then get the phone updated. Not as straightforward as on GSM carriers where you can just physically SIM swap.
I just got off the phone with Verizon. It is such a pain to switch phones between but 3g and 4 G phone. When I want to go back to my 4g phone I literally have to take it to Verizon to get a brand new 4 G SIM card
Old 01/27/2013, 08:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
I just got off the phone with Verizon. It is such a pain to switch phones between but 3g and 4 G phone. When I want to go back to my 4g phone I literally have to take it to Verizon to get a brand new 4 G SIM card
When I have switched between my 4g Samsung and my Pre 3, I do it online and it is quick and easy. Every time I have done it there is a message that warns me that I have 90 days before my 4g sim is outdated.
jkromero is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Thanked By: Remy X
Old 01/27/2013, 08:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkromero View Post
When I have switched between my 4g Samsung and my Pre 3, I do it online and it is quick and easy. Every time I have done it there is a message that warns me that I have 90 days before my 4g sim is outdated.
that is great news! I wish the Verizon customer service lady had the answer but she did not. Can anyone else confirm they get 90 days before the SIM card expires. Thanks
Old 01/27/2013, 09:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
this is the main reason why I just switched completely to a 4g device and dont use my pre 2 as a cell phone anymore, just as a wifi device...for nostalgias sake...

the 4g sim is deactivated, have to go back to verizon store to get a new sim every time when going back to 4g.
MDsmartphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 09:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
this is the main reason why I just switched completely to a 4g device and dont use my pre 2 as a cell phone anymore, just as a wifi device...for nostalgias sake...

the 4g sim is deactivated, have to go back to verizon store to get a new sim every time when going back to 4g.
Jkromero said he had 90 days. Did you see anything like that? I was hoping he was right but I Dont think he is based on my conversation with verizon
Old 01/27/2013, 11:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Jkromero said he had 90 days. Did you see anything like that? I was hoping he was right but I Dont think he is based on my conversation with verizon
Of course, Jkromero also said he swapped himself through the website. Maybe made a difference?
Old 01/28/2013, 12:08 AM   #13 (permalink)

I don't recall them telling me about 90 days. I just remember it being very inconvenient to switch back and forth btwn a 3g device and a 4G device. Woulda been so much easier had the pre 3 been released with lte...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
MDsmartphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2013, 12:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Another reason to go GSM with Straight Talk's Bring Your Own Phone plan... I just swap my SIM around as I see fit.

I've had my BYOPhone SIM in 6 different phones with no problems outside the normal configure APN/MMS on first use: Pre 2 (a), Treo Pro 750, Veer (a), Veer (b), iPhone 3GS, Pre 2 (b).

I recently purchased a Nokia E5-00 through Straight Talk. It came with a SIM card that had to be used to activate that particular phone. I ported my number over to that SIM online at ST's website; it took just a few moments to get done and I have since swapped it between the E5 and my Panda Veer without issue.

Best of luck CDMA-heads.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2013, 12:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

I bought my wife an iPhone 5 for Christmas at best buy, they had to activate it, when I got home, I switched the service back to her iPhone4s, we activated the 5 on Christmas without having to replace the sim. Don't know about the 90 days. A rep from Verizon was in the store helping and assured the BB employee the sim wouldn't need to be replaced.
Old 01/28/2013, 07:19 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncot View Post
I bought my wife an iPhone 5 for Christmas at best buy, they had to activate it, when I got home, I switched the service back to her iPhone4s, we activated the 5 on Christmas without having to replace the sim. Don't know about the 90 days. A rep from Verizon was in the store helping and assured the BB employee the sim wouldn't need to be replaced.
How long was the sum card not in use for after it was 1st activated?
Old 01/28/2013, 07:33 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
How long was the sum card not in use for after it was 1st activated?
Less than a week.
Old 01/28/2013, 11:25 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Another reason to go GSM with Straight Talk's Bring Your Own Phone plan... I just swap my SIM around as I see fit.

I've had my BYOPhone SIM in 6 different phones with no problems outside the normal configure APN/MMS on first use: Pre 2 (a), Treo Pro 750, Veer (a), Veer (b), iPhone 3GS, Pre 2 (b).

I recently purchased a Nokia E5-00 through Straight Talk. It came with a SIM card that had to be used to activate that particular phone. I ported my number over to that SIM online at ST's website; it took just a few moments to get done and I have since swapped it between the E5 and my Panda Veer without issue.

Best of luck CDMA-heads.

+1000
I could never do CDMA. I am a phone junkie and like to switch phones pretty much on a daily basis. Just pull the SIM out and stick it to a new phone, easy as that. Unfortunately I can't get out of the contract with at&t easily as I have family and 3 contracts. Another year or so just 'till T-Mobile gets it's network right in the 1900 MHz.
darkoman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 01/28/2013, 11:55 PM   #19 (permalink)

Since the Verizon pre 3 has a sim card slot. What if I take my 4g sim card from my note 2 and put it in my pre 3 sim slot. I know I won't have 4g but I wonder if that would keep the sim active? Hmmm
Old 01/29/2013, 06:37 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Since the Verizon pre 3 has a sim card slot. What if I take my 4g sim card from my note 2 and put it in my pre 3 sim slot. I know I won't have 4g but I wonder if that would keep the sim active? Hmmm
It won't. The Pre won't be accessing the sim card as its for global use only, but the important part is it won't be active with Verizon, once you activate the Pre 3, the sim will be taken off your account-it will be inactive.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0