webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Switching phones between pre 3 and galaxy note 2 on verizon
Switching phones between pre 3 and galaxy note 2 on verizon
Like Tree5Likes

Old 01/29/2013, 09:23 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
Jkromero said he had 90 days. Did you see anything like that? I was hoping he was right but I Dont think he is based on my conversation with verizon
Did the Verizon representative tell you if you swap to your Pre3 from your 4G phone if the sim is deactivated right away? Because I have switched my phones around twice and have used the Pre3 for two to three days each time and went back to the website and swapped them back with no problems. The Samsung is upadated to my current phone and my 4G comes back online. I will swap them tonight and see if I get the same warning message about the 90 days. I will see if I can get a picture of the message and post it here for you.

Last edited by jkromero; 01/29/2013 at 09:35 AM.
jkromero is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by stu5797 likes this.
Thanked By: stu5797
Old 01/29/2013, 09:26 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkromero View Post
Did the Verizon representative tell you if you swap to your Pre3 from your 4G phone if the sim is deactivated right away? Because I have switched my phones around twice and have used the Pre3 for two days and went back to the website and swapped them back with no problems. The Samsung is upadated to my current phone and my 4G comes back online. I will swap them tonight and see if I get the same warning message about the 90 days. I will see if I can get a picture of the message and post it here for you.
Thanks so much and I look forward to hearing how it goes. I wish this was easier. I know somehow it will be a hassle to get my pre 3 activated. Did you have any issues?
stu5797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2013, 09:45 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks so much and I look forward to hearing how it goes. I wish this was easier. I know somehow it will be a hassle to get my pre 3 activated. Did you have any issues?
No. It is really quite easy.
I pick the number I want to swap.

Your given a choice to upload your phone book based on OS. I always just bypass this due to my contacts being
saved to my gmail account.

Type in your MEID HEX number and click Activate.

It goes through a loading process and has you turn off your old phone.

You call the programming number I think it is #228

Wha la you are using your Pre3.

To swap back it is the same process except when you get to the part where it asks for your sim ID number.
You input that into the supplied field and continue on your way.

It really is easy....maybe 5 minutes if you have all the numbers you need for the swap.
(Note: This is paraphrased from memory so it might be slightly different, but that is the jist of it.)
Old 01/29/2013, 10:39 AM   #24 (permalink)

Where did you get the sim id number ?
Old 01/29/2013, 11:21 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Where did you get the sim id number ?
On my Verizon branded sim card it is printed directly on the card. It is a pretty long number. 10-15 digits I think, or near there.
Old 01/29/2013, 06:53 PM   #26 (permalink)

Ok....the online switch option has changed slightly, but still works pretty much the same. I took a photo of the screen and the warning about the sim and the 90 day deactivation. You are prompted to change your plan accordingly. That is the warning across the top. I had forgotten that step. Here ya go.... I hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-01-29 18.40.14.jpg (813.3 KB, 12 views) Email Attachment
Liked by stu5797 likes this.
Thanked By: stu5797
Old 01/29/2013, 06:57 PM   #27 (permalink)

I am in the exact same situation as the OP, and I have yet to get the GN2's SIM to work in the Pre3 with an adapter.
Chris Dominowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2013, 07:03 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Dominowski View Post
I am in the exact same situation as the OP, and I have yet to get the GN2's SIM to work in the Pre3 with an adapter.
I don't use a sim in my Pre 3. Mine is a CDMA cell on Verizon's network. Do you have a GSM or a CDMA? Who's network?
Old 01/29/2013, 09:07 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkromero View Post
I don't use a sim in my Pre 3. Mine is a CDMA cell on Verizon's network. Do you have a GSM or a CDMA? Who's network?
I am similar to the OP. I just got a Verizon Pre 3 and want to use it occasionally instead of my Verizon Galaxy S3. I hadn't seen this thread and went to the local Verizon store. They said I had to pay for an extra device. So now I am trying to do this online. I am assuming the option you're choosing on Verizon's site is to "Activate" a device?

Also - I can't get my Pre 3 to see Verizon's data network. I figured out how to turn on Wifi, but it still fails to let me set up a WebOS account. Any suggestions?
swalker007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2013, 09:09 PM   #30 (permalink)

do you just get the grey triangle where data should be??
Old 01/29/2013, 09:14 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
do you just get the grey triangle where data should be??
No. Top window has Verizon Wireless in upper left, then the time, then wifi symbol, then 5 bar signal strength indicator, then battery icon. Nothing else. My other Verizon phone gets excellent data signal here.

Also, I am using WebOS 2.2.4
swalker007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2013, 09:18 PM   #32 (permalink)

hmmm I have not activated yet but I get a weird grey triangle to the left of my phone signal. Anyone have any idea what that grey triangle means?
Old 01/29/2013, 11:36 PM   #33 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Yep it's tough being on GSM...

I just picked up an AT&T branded Motorola Backflip. I put my ST SIM in and poked at the settings for APN/MMS and now the darn thing just works.

Yet another phone I can swap to whenever I choose.

LOLz. - I don't envy you CDMAers.

RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2013, 06:18 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Yep it's tough being on GSM...

I just picked up an AT&T branded Motorola Backflip. I put my ST SIM in and poked at the settings for APN/MMS and now the darn thing just works.

Yet another phone I can swap to whenever I choose.

LOLz. - I don't envy you CDMAers.

Yeah but what happens when you need to make an important phone call... lol you get a dropped phone call and bad coverage (if you are in the usa)
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 01/30/2013, 07:00 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swalker007 View Post
I am similar to the OP. I just got a Verizon Pre 3 and want to use it occasionally instead of my Verizon Galaxy S3. I hadn't seen this thread and went to the local Verizon store. They said I had to pay for an extra device. So now I am trying to do this online. I am assuming the option you're choosing on Verizon's site is to "Activate" a device?

Also - I can't get my Pre 3 to see Verizon's data network. I figured out how to turn on Wifi, but it still fails to let me set up a WebOS account. Any suggestions?
Yes you choose activate. I will say last night when I swapped devices the layout of the online process had changed. With that said this is the first time I have ever seen an "error" next to Data Usage in the drop down menu of my Pre 3. Every other time I have done this the 3G indicator shows up right away with no errors. I don't have any evidence to support my theory but I have a bad feeling Verizon may have changed something in regards to how the Pre 3 interacts with their network. I honestly hope I'm wrong, but like I said this is the first time running into these two changes.

Last edited by jkromero; 01/30/2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 01/30/2013, 07:36 AM   #36 (permalink)

So you are not getting data anymore?
Old 01/30/2013, 08:30 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swalker007 View Post

activate or switch device is what you want on VZW's site. The Pre3 won't see data without it being active on VZW's network. Activate first, then data.
Try selecting the phone icon at the screen bottom, select emergency call, then backspace to delete 911, enter *228, then send. You may be able to switch devices without having to go to VZW's site. I do it often, going from 3G to 3G, not sure about 4G to 3G. If not, change it online, then *228.
Old 01/30/2013, 10:32 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
So you are not getting data anymore?
After programming I found that in the drop down menu in the Data field showed error. It was a nonspecific error. If there is a log to look at to get more info I will look at it if someone can tell me how to get to it. Other than that I have nothing......I am just like you, I want this to work and work at least mostly proper. If I come up with anything I will P.M. you.
Old 01/30/2013, 10:38 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncot View Post
activate or switch device is what you want on VZW's site. The Pre3 won't see data without it being active on VZW's network. Activate first, then data.
Try selecting the phone icon at the screen bottom, select emergency call, then backspace to delete 911, enter *228, then send. You may be able to switch devices without having to go to VZW's site. I do it often, going from 3G to 3G, not sure about 4G to 3G. If not, change it online, then *228.
That is what I do. Perform the online activation and then perform the OTA programming. I get all the notifications about the programming and scanning CDMA and programming successful, but this time after all that and the *228 call, the power down and restart. I get a data error which I have never gotten before. Last night was the third time that I have performed this process and this is the only time I have gotten the data error. The only other change was the online process was different too. I don't know I hope there not slowly phasing out the ability to use a Pre3, which is kinda funny because it was never really used....Irony.
Old 01/30/2013, 12:30 PM   #40 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Yeah but what happens when you need to make an important phone call... lol you get a dropped phone call and bad coverage (if you are in the usa)
Hasn't happened to me yet. I'm not in a major city and I also travel out into the country often.

Yet when I was on Sprint and later Virgin it happened to me all the time...
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0