webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > HP Palm Pre 3 vs Pre 2. What are your thoughts?
HP Palm Pre 3 vs Pre 2. What are your thoughts?
Like Tree2Likes

Old 01/26/2013, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

I currently have an HP Palm Whatever Pre 2. Was considering "upgrading" to the Pre 3, but I'm not sure it would actually be an upgrade as I have no experience with Pre 3. I currently use a stock Pre 2 which seems to be working well in all respects. Sure, 3G speed isn't fantastic, but that's not really the fault of the phone, per se.

What would you think are the pros and cons of Pre 3 vs Pre 2?

Is it worth spending some dough to upgrade (couple hundred bucks, more or less), or not so much? Why or why not?
stockjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2013, 05:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

I personally dont think the pre 3 is a huge performance upgrade but does offer several pros over the pre2. I do own both and these are my opinions of both.
The pre3
it has a better screen, bigger and higher ppi so the text is more crisp.
I think the battery last a little less
The keyboard remains clickyer longer
The slide is way better built
Feels thinner
and has 4g
it also has a front facing camera so you can use it for skype video calls
better back lit keyboard
noise canceling mic for better calls
Auto focus camera*
(camera focus makes noise)

The Pre2
Back is easier to get off
soft touch plastic is less of a finger print magnet
full focus camera*

* The camera is a pro on both because it depends on the use, auto focus camera is good for taking your time to take a pic of something and great for text, while the full focus camera is great for quick pics that would not have time for focus but cant take pictures of text.

I'd compare the pros i gave you and see if you will be using the extras of the pre3, and in the software department there is nothing new between then.
mattmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2013, 07:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hmm, doesn't sound all that much better than my Pre 2.

You did mention that it was 4G and I have Verizon which is 3G only, I believe. Maybe someone can correct me if I am mistaken.
stockjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2013, 08:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockjock View Post

You did mention that it was 4G and I have Verizon which is 3G only, I believe. Maybe someone can correct me if I am mistaken.
AT&T is 4G (HSPA+, not LTE). I don't think Verizon version is, but I'm not familiar. I've never used the Pre 2 (had an original Pre- and Pixi), but I can say that I really like my Pre 3. I've had it for about 15 months. The high-res screen, larger keyboard, and solid feel are definitely high marks.

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini
..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
carldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 10:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

I say the Pre3's camera is better than the Pre2 because it can focus. The Pre2 uses a fixed lens.

Pre3:
Better screen (much improved)
better build quality generally (especially the slider and keyboard)
It's better in pretty much every regard, except it has less available RAM due to a hardware change.
Faster processor.
If it's the AT&T model, it has 4G, but I don't know about the VZW model.
TTS functionality
slightly bigger stock battery
the gesture area light looks better
there's a lot of 8 GB models, whereas there was only the 16 GB Pre 2.

Pre2:
Cheaper
Seen a wider release and compatible with Pre-/+ accessories. (and there's a lot more out there, easier to get another battery for example.)
PDK games usually look better, since they were designed for the 320x480 display
More compact
less rare

regarding software, it's pretty much the same, I forgot whether the Pre3 has any debilitating problems over the Pre2
My OneDrive referral link: OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 12:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockjock View Post

Correct, Verizon Pre 2 & 3 are 3G only. Having owned both, the Pre 3 GPS is 1000000 times better.
broncot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 09:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
Auto focus camera*
(camera focus makes noise)

The Pre2
Back is easier to get off
soft touch plastic is less of a finger print magnet
full focus camera*

* The camera is a pro on both because it depends on the use, auto focus camera is good for taking your time to take a pic of something and great for text, while the full focus camera is great for quick pics that would not have time for focus but cant take pictures of text.

I'd compare the pros i gave you and see if you will be using the extras of the pre3, and in the software department there is nothing new between then.
Also don't forget that the Pre 3 phone records videos in higher definition mostly in 720p and it has a sensor which gives you better stability when recording them VS the Pre 2 camera which doesn't record videos in high definition and it doesn't have the auto-focus functionality.
Old 01/27/2013, 10:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm in the midst of switching to a Pre 3. It's a mixed bag really. But so far I'm enjoying it.

The AF lens is indeed slower, but for my use, being able to focus proves much more helpful as I take a lot of close shots of stuff I'm doing for work as a personal record.

The slightly larger and clearly higher res screen is *fantastic* when browsing. Seriously, the difference in screen resolution is night/day. Only downside there is yes, it's slightly larger (though actually 1 mm thinner). Had no trouble spanning the whole screen with my thumb with one hand on the Pre 2 with it opened or closed. With the Pre 3 opened, it's a stretch reaching the top bar when the slider's open. But really, that's minor and the screen hits a sweet spot for size and res. Still comfortable in the hand, easy to carry, and way the heck more pocketable than anything outside of an iPhone.

Battery life is about the same as a fresh Pre 2 battery. Agree that GPS seems improved. Wifi is a bit snappier if you have an N router. Performance also seems *much* snappier. Of course, it's a fresh start whereas my Pre 2 hasn't been Doctored in over a year. The Pre 3 is also *much* faster in cold booting/restarting than my glacially slow Frankenpre 2 which can seriously take a solid 3-4 minutes. Haven't timed it, but the 3 seems to take only a minute or so.

Some down sides have been due to it having less time under support. Read: almost none. But really, whatever. It's fine. At least for me, all the things I use still work.
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 11:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ah... and also preferred that the Pre 2 had the microUSB connector on the screen-half of the phone. Then if it was plugged in, when you slid the screen up to type, the cable went with the screen and out of the way of your hand while you typed. On the Pre 3, the connector's on the keyboard half, so it's a bit awkward feeling.

Again, that's a dumb, minor thing. Also looks like that's part of how they got the phone thinner. The screen-half of the Pre 3 seems more svelte than the Pre 2's.
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2013, 02:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

If you have a Touch Pad, the Pre 3 is a great accessory phone to use with it. It is a huge upgrade over the Pre 2 I used to use. It's larger, it's faster, and to me looks more refined. I really would recommend the upgrade if you want to.
Old 01/28/2013, 02:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

I use them alternatively for different purposes: The 2 is fine for driving (TS hold and navigation with Ndrive) while the 3 has better screen and keyboard. They're both very valuable companions for a TP, the only difference is the useless touch to share. I don't know if the French 4G is compatible with the radio, my network provider is not delivering it.
Wayenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2013, 12:25 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventus221 View Post
If you have a Touch Pad, the Pre 3 is a great accessory phone to use with it. It is a huge upgrade over the Pre 2 I used to use. It's larger, it's faster, and to me looks more refined. I really would recommend the upgrade if you want to.
Don't forget Touch-to-Share.
carldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2013, 04:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Pre3:
- WAY better keyboard
- bigger screen

Pre2:
- much less memory issues
- holds better on a default touchstone (can be solved for Pre3)

BTW: forget Touch to share... yes, the Pre3 has it... but it's not usable. It's often even better + faster + easier to use E-Mail to share a link between two devices...
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2013, 04:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

I've used the Pre2 for about two years and just started using the Pre3. The Pre3 is not that much better over the 2. Pre3 has larger screen, front camera, and noise canceling mic. I feel like the Pre2 is easier to use as a one handed device.
bimmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2013, 04:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

I have only played with a Pre3 for a few minutes, so I can't offer much except to say the screen is VERY nice. Not taking anything away from the Pre2 screen but the higher DPI on the Pre3 screen makes text and other UI elements much sharper.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2013, 02:35 PM   #16 (permalink)

Hi i have HP Pre 2 and HP Pre3 both UK unlocked, i enjoy using both the pre 3 has better screen and is faster
to load internet, battery life is ok, but finding spare battery pre 3 none on line in uk, friend sourced one in
china new for 10 GBP, and touch to share works ok with touchpad, but its webOS i like using, nothing is quite
like it, i run them both with latest HP webOS firmware and have no problems, bought pre2 new found by chance
in small phone shop first one i had seen,after using it for a while i then wanted pre3 very rare, no chance,
then found one new 100 GBP, a shame HP gave up webOS it could have been the best.

Pre2, 3×Pre3, Touchpad 16 GB /32 GB
merlin29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2013, 10:51 AM   #17 (permalink)

I have unlocked gsm version of both pre2 and pre3. Prefer pre3 for sure. Screen much better. Better keyboard. Better camera. Those saying its not faster must not be using uberkernal/govnah I use govnah 1.2ghz on pre2 and 1.7ghz on pre3 and you do notice a speed improvement. If you plan to use webOS for a while yet the pre3 is a worthy upgrade IMHO.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
creepingmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2013, 05:12 PM   #18 (permalink)

There are definitely some differences between the Pre 2 & 3, depending on the carrier. I've owned Pre 2s from Verizon and the GSM model. Difference: GSM has HSPA. I've also owned Pre 3s from Verizon and AT&T. Differences: beside the speed difference mentioned before, the AT&T Pre 3 has the bluetooth PAN profile disabled. Epic fail!!!

The other posts here pretty much are spot on but there is also one glaring omission for the Pre 3: the sleep of death issue.
fatclue_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2013, 06:27 PM   #19 (permalink)

My experience was first with a Pre 3 which was a nice phone but was unusable for me because of constant reboots and GPS not working in Australia.

I then bought a Veer, which also was a great phone but I felt the screen was too small.

I then bought a Pre 2 and it's great. Stable, GPS works and screen size if fine for most things. The only pity is no TTS.

It also has the Palm brand on it, which I prefer to an HP logo. Palm was a great company, HP wasted their opportunities.
NoApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 02/15/2013, 10:01 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
the AT&T Pre 3 has the bluetooth PAN profile disabled. Epic fail!!!
(What does this mean?)
The other posts here pretty much are spot on but there is also one glaring omission for the Pre 3: the sleep of death issue.
(Same with this?)

For my two cents I have used an original Pre, Pre 2 and the Pre 3. I didn't use them in that order though. I used the Pre 2 first, then the Pre and I am currently using the Pre 3. What I remember of my experience with the Pre 2 (its been over a year since I had/used it) was that the phone was great, but had many software issues. Wether it was email syncing issues, google calendar syncing issues, the gps not working, I always felt like I had a lot of issues and weird annoyances. I don't feel like I have any of these issues with the Pre 3. The keyboard is amazing on the Pre 3 and honestly imo is the biggest reason to get the Pre 3. You type on it every day and the key clicks and responsiveness are spot on. The camera is a lot better too. I havent tried GPS although I have an android phone for that. Initially I have been nothing but impressed with the Pre 3. Touch to share I actually did need to use once. My friend sent me links through text and I used touch to share to get them to the touchpad. The process was a little harder than I had anticipated, but it was still cool. Texting through the Touchpad works flawlessly as well. So all in all I love my Pre 3 and am very happy I got it.
touchthatpad106 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0