webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > HP Palm Pre 3 vs Pre 2. What are your thoughts?
HP Palm Pre 3 vs Pre 2. What are your thoughts?
Like Tree2Likes

Old 02/15/2013, 11:41 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knicks2030 View Post
(Same with this?)

For my two cents I have used an original Pre, Pre 2 and the Pre 3. I didn't use them in that order though. I used the Pre 2 first, then the Pre and I am currently using the Pre 3. What I remember of my experience with the Pre 2 (its been over a year since I had/used it) was that the phone was great, but had many software issues. Wether it was email syncing issues, google calendar syncing issues, the gps not working, I always felt like I had a lot of issues and weird annoyances. I don't feel like I have any of these issues with the Pre 3. The keyboard is amazing on the Pre 3 and honestly imo is the biggest reason to get the Pre 3. You type on it every day and the key clicks and responsiveness are spot on. The camera is a lot better too. I havent tried GPS although I have an android phone for that. Initially I have been nothing but impressed with the Pre 3. Touch to share I actually did need to use once. My friend sent me links through text and I used touch to share to get them to the touchpad. The process was a little harder than I had anticipated, but it was still cool. Texting through the Touchpad works flawlessly as well. So all in all I love my Pre 3 and am very happy I got it.
What version of pre2 did you have? Just from reading the forums daily I would think pre3 is way more problematic than pre2
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 08:11 PM   #22 (permalink)

I had the Verizon Pre 2 running 2.2 or 2.3 whatever the latest software was for it.
touchthatpad106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2013, 11:02 AM   #23 (permalink)

[QUOTE=fatclue_98;3377879]
creepingmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/04/2013, 07:42 PM   #24 (permalink)

I prefer typing on the Pre 3's keyboard, and the hi-res screen is definitely better for viewing web pages. Those are very important for my daily-use phone. I've found my Pre3 worth the money.

Touch-to-share is more a technology demo than a practical feature, even with my Zap Photoshare, but it is fun.
Old 03/04/2013, 09:22 PM   #25 (permalink)

Just received my new Pre3 today. My current phone is a Pre2. With only holding it in my hand I have to say that the Pre3 seems a little big. The Pre2 feels really good in the hand. I'll give another update after a few days with the 3.
revtskillings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/05/2013, 08:09 PM   #26 (permalink)

After using my Pre3 for the first week or two the Pre2 felt a) way thicker (it is just about 1 mm) and b) strangely angular. But I have to agree, my first impression was that the Pre3 was too big. (It's strange that seemingly the whole world outside our webOS island wants 5" screens, isn't it?).
DocJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/05/2013, 08:20 PM   #27 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

yeah they all gonna end like this.

Pre2 is my daily driver (Pre3 is just spare and dev - one main reason is EU model 8GB/500MB only instead of 16GB/1GB on Pre2)
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 03/06/2013, 01:33 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocJones View Post
After using my Pre3 for the first week or two the Pre2 felt a) way thicker (it is just about 1 mm) and b) strangely angular. But I have to agree, my first impression was that the Pre3 was too big. (It's strange that seemingly the whole world outside our webOS island wants 5" screens, isn't it?).
I have never used or even seen a pre3. But I imagine it must be pretty tall with the slider open. Pre2 seems just right to me
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/06/2013, 08:41 AM   #29 (permalink)

I've had my Pre3 for about a month now (previous phone a Pre2). Its seems less big then when I first got it. Its also still much smaller than many of the phones on the market. I guess Im used to it now. Id say a great phone overall!
Old 03/06/2013, 09:58 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocJones View Post
Probably because we webOS aficionados are secure in our OS-hood and don't need big screens to "compensate".
fatclue_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/06/2013, 07:12 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougReeder View Post
I prefer typing on the Pre 3's keyboard, and the hi-res screen is definitely better for viewing web pages. Those are very important for my daily-use phone. I've found my Pre3 worth the money.

Touch-to-share is more a technology demo than a practical feature, even with my Zap Photoshare, but it is fun.
That'd pretty much what I have discovered using the Pre 3 as well. I don't think it's a big device but it's a little bulky and fat. Still though it's a lot smaller than the phones out today as someone pointed out. I'm still happy with my Pre 3 purchase as well and I think it's an upgrade over the Pre 2.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
Old 03/09/2013, 01:56 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtskillings View Post
Just received my new Pre3 today. My current phone is a Pre2. With only holding it in my hand I have to say that the Pre3 seems a little big. The Pre2 feels really good in the hand. I'll give another update after a few days with the 3.
Well, 3 days with the Pre 3. A lot of the normal rigermarole with getting it set up....

Like others I loved the screen, the slimmer feel, the excellent call quality. But...the gmail calendar wouldn't sync right. Since Google disabled Exchange Active Sync the Google/Pre sync behavior is terrible. Event added on the Pre won't sync to the mail Google calendar account.

Unfortunately this is a deal breaker for me. My pre 2 seems to be syncing well now, so I'm back to that, and my Pre 3 is on Craigslist. ($170, only used 3 days, never scratched or dropped. Let me know if you'd like it)

My take is that if you like the Pre2, stick with it. If you want the fancy stuff, and you have ATT for 4g, and you don't care about the gmail thing, the Pre3 seems great.
revtskillings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/11/2013, 11:25 AM   #33 (permalink)

@revtskillings- The funny thing for me is it was the reverse. I always had syncing issues with the Pre 2 and not the Pre 3. I do think that me not using the Pre 3 as my main device masks a lot of its issues. For what I use it for though its amazingly good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 07/14/2013, 10:53 PM   #34 (permalink)

What I didn't see anyone mention is that the pre3 with the dual microphones allows more even audio in video recording. You can hear your subject much better and when you talk as the person doing the recording your voice isn't so loud compared to the pre2 that has the mic facing you.

Also, mic related, when you hold the pre3 on your shoulder to talk the mic does not get covered up by your cheek like on the pre and pre2. Very big annoyance in my book.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II

Vent Mounted Touchstone for Pre3 DIY!
vasekvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/21/2013, 08:34 PM   #35 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

My Pre 3 is my solid backup. I will use it incase my Iphone dies lol

Sent from my iPhone using WebOS Nation mobile app
Old 08/23/2013, 02:36 PM   #36 (permalink)

Started new thread.

Last edited by miata; 08/24/2013 at 12:16 PM.
miata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/23/2013, 06:43 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post
I've started using a Pre2 on Verizon after a year with the Blackberry 9930 and rekindled my love of webOS. I was originally looking at the BB Q10, but BBOS 10 is years behind webOS and I'm now looking for something to hold me over for a couple more years until BBOS gets sorted out

From what I read there are quite a few reasons for upgrading to the Pre3. I also trying to decide between staying with Verizon or moving to AT&T and would like advice.

Verizon Pros:
- have been happy with service (except no simultaneous voice/date, and FreeTether seems pretty slow lately)
- I wouldn't have to switch carriers

ATT Pros:
-phones are more readily available and cheaper
- I get simultaneous voice/date

Would everybody agree that the ATT option makes more sense?

=========================

Questions about Pre3 on ATT:

- Will I get 3G speeds and would that provide a significant performance advantage over Verizon?
- don't know how well FreeTether would work

Also, I want to make sure I understand the Pros Cons of upgrading from Pre2 to Pre3...

Pre3 Pros:
- sharper pics with autotfocus (otherwise same camera and a little slower than Pre2)
- much better display, keyboard and slider mechanism
- better noise cancellation (but I always use BY, so less important)
- much better GPS
- faster web browsing, etc
- better WIFI
- thinner

Pre3 Cons:
- same or slight less battery life?
- batteries hard to find and no charger ( I have about 6 spare batteries for my pre2 and can use old phones as "usb chargers"
- harder to remove batteries, since the back is harder to remove- less memory = less stability? more "too many cards?"
- microUSB charger port is less convenient
- need to spend more money
- no need to switch to ATT to get full Pre3 benefits
If you go gsm, you csn go to a much cheaper mvno, your not forced to go att...
creepingmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/23/2013, 08:31 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
If you go gsm, you csn go to a much cheaper mvno, your not forced to go att...
The company pays for my phone, but you did remind me that another plus of the GSM model is that it is essentially a world phone. I don't think the Verizon version is.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0