Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 50
Like Tree15Likes
  1.    #21  
    Yes
  2. #22  
    I guess there might be alternatives...but the first hurdle is doing a CAD on the design.

    options that I can see.
    1. do a 3D scan of the original to get the 3D coodinates / fix and repair it to be close to the original.
    2. Send it for a mold quotation and check the costs.
    3. Alternative to 2 is to send for a CNC plastic/ metal prototyping.
    CNC Machining: China CNC Machining Company offers precision CNC machining services

    think about it..now the Pre 3 has a aluminium finish lol..not too sure if it can take the stress and not do a Iphone bendy...
    dkirker and Jonnie like this.
  3.    #23  
    For the OEM copies, it should be easy, just send and pay ...the lady who makes those silicone molds charges very reasonable rates. For stuff that has to start out as a CAD wireframe, it should be possible to do 3D print in clear resin and after polishing, send the parts to her, to have the silicone mold made.

    A brushed aluminum look could probably be created by painting a textured part... Metal flake powder + clearcoat. Too much hassle for mass production, unless someone volunteers to do the job...
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    For the OEM copies, it should be easy, just send and pay ...the lady who makes those silicone molds charges very reasonable rates. For stuff that has to start out as a CAD wireframe, it should be possible to do 3D print in clear resin and after polishing, send the parts to her, to have the silicone mold made.

    A brushed aluminum look could probably be created by painting a textured part... Metal flake powder + clearcoat. Too much hassle for mass production, unless someone volunteers to do the job...
    I would eliminate the 3D printing step for the molds. The 3D printing step is the "cheap, $20 solution" so that people can print something, if they want. For the molds, I already have components (Veer magnetic housing, Pre3 bezel, Pre3 back, Pre3 extended back) that I can lend. (I don't really have a Veer bezel, or Veer back, that can be sent off.) I recommend both options (mold, and 3D).

    Quote Originally Posted by daexpression
    3. Alternative to 2 is to send for a CNC plastic/ metal prototyping.
    CNC Machining: China CNC Machining Company offers precision CNC machining services
    Hot damn! Now I want to machine a brushed aluminium bezel for mine!

    I wouldn't do plastic with an aluminum powder coating, though. Likely to chip off very easily, and then look cheap.

    FWIW, any of the CNC/custom suggestions are really going to just be that: custom. The best we can do is try to batch any orders. But... they will still likely be expensive.
    Did you know:

    webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  5. #25  
    Nokia has provided the mechanical drawings for the Lumia 820’s back shell so you can modify and enhance the design then print it out on a 3D printer

    3D print your own back cover for Nokia Lumia 820

    Try contacting HP/Palm if they provide details of there discontinued products.
  6. #26  
    I wish that. I am a user too and it sounds good for my pre3
  7. #27  
    Still waiting on a reply from HP. Though... Given this article: 3D printing your own Nokia Lumia case isn't all it's cracked up to be (hands-on) | The Verge injection molding or CNC machining will be the best options.

    That being said... What do I need to do (with the Pre3 bezel, Pre3 std battery back, Pre3 extended battery back, and Veer headphone outer shell) to get the molds created?
    Did you know:

    webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  8. #28  
    can i get mine in TARDIS blue !?
    i had an idea on something else that may be possible, to be honest i didn't even search for this, so, my apologies, but with the ability to remove the outer ring to better fit the pre3 back to the touchstone would there be a way to fab a ring/adapter that would better fit to the og touchstone, i know im not fond of cutting up fridge magnets which are holding up my little ones artwork, or filing said down, which i bought 8/6/09 with my pre-, so to me my touchston is still a $70 piece of tech that i'd much rather not mar, per nostalgia and/or a bit of a perfectionist streak
  9. hamiller's Avatar
    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    #29  
    Any updates on that?
  10. #30  
    I got an XBox Kinect so that I can try to make 3D models of items. Going to give that a try!
    Did you know:

    webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  11. #31  
    if this project is ongoing and there is need for someone to do a 3D cad of the back casing, I do know of such a person. However cause he's a freelance, he'd probably request from some fee to redesign the casing. Then we can use the casing design with shapeways and get it printed...let me know and I'd give him a buzz.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    [...]
    Hot damn! Now I want to machine a brushed aluminium bezel for mine!

    I wouldn't do plastic with an aluminum powder coating, though. Likely to chip off very easily, and then look cheap.

    [...]
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    [...]
    That being said... What do I need to do (with the Pre3 bezel, Pre3 std battery back, Pre3 extended battery back, and Veer headphone outer shell) to get the molds created?
    Sorry about being away for so long... with my complete lack of free time, i've had to set aside a lot of stuff i would otherwise work on.

    That said, if you would look at my earlier posts in this thread, there are links to a few listings on Etsy for silicone molds, all of them by MoldMuse. So i would think we can contact her and work out this deal. She's got decades of experience and her prices on her regular items are quite fair.

    Oh and for the "brushed metal" look, i think i found the solution... unidirectional aluminized fiberglass cloth. With the cross-stitching removed, it can be set in clear resin and the result might as well give that look we are trying to achieve while still leaving the back radio-transparent... (see attachment)
    Attached Images Attached Images
  13. #33  
    Hummm... just a suggestion: there is some chance to make a Pre3 adapter to use in common Touchstone?


    Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    RumoredNow and hrminer92 like this.
  14. #34  
    We are too many user. We are using HP PRE3. How dowe doit?, I want it!
  15. #35  
    Maybe if 'WE' all send $1 to 'someone' - they would then have some $100's with which to actually DO this.. and be free to stop merely talking about DOing it?

    Just a thought.


    TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Mini-5101.120Gb SSD. 3G/Wifi/BT. Win7.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Maybe if 'WE' all send $1 to 'someone' - they would then have some $100's with which to actually DO this.. and be free to stop merely talking about DOing it?

    Just a thought.

    ok, just letīs do it!... where Can I send 1$?
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Maybe if 'WE' all send $1 to 'someone' - they would then have some $100's with which to actually DO this.. and be free to stop merely talking about DOing it?

    Just a thought.

    I'm not going to accept any money, because I don't have the time to commit to this. It isn't a high priority on my project list at the moment. (I want to do it, but it isn't a priority.)
    Did you know:

    webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  18. #38  
    So... back to the OP 'RemyX' then.. it seems there is 'interest' but no one - incuding yourself - has enough time to actually DO it!


    TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Mini-5101.120Gb SSD. 3G/Wifi/BT. Win7.
  19. #39  
    Hi all,

    today I noticed a crack in the front bezel of my Pre3 in the bottom right corner.

    Searching here for similar problems I found this thread and so: yes, I am interested as well in a replacement. (Also voted in the poll)

    Regards,
    UW
    Handspring Visor -> Palm Centro -> HP Pre 3 / HP TP 4G -> amazon fire phone 64GB
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrSchwarz5 View Post
    Hi all,

    today I noticed a crack in the front bezel of my Pre3 in the bottom right corner.

    Searching here for similar problems I found this thread and so: yes, I am interested as well in a replacement. (Also voted in the poll)

    Regards,
    UW
    Funnily enough I had the same problem over the weekend only mine is bottom left. I guess it will hold together for a while but if this project does go ahead then count me in. I'm only really interested in a matt black replacement (like for like) but I guess I could be persuaded.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions