webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Possibility of new replacement screen bezels for the Pre3... Anyone interested?
Possibility of new replacement screen bezels for the Pre3... Anyone interested?
Like Tree15Likes

Old 01/21/2013, 03:06 AM   #21 (permalink)

Yes
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2013, 08:27 PM   #22 (permalink)

I guess there might be alternatives...but the first hurdle is doing a CAD on the design.

options that I can see.
1. do a 3D scan of the original to get the 3D coodinates / fix and repair it to be close to the original.
2. Send it for a mold quotation and check the costs.
3. Alternative to 2 is to send for a CNC plastic/ metal prototyping.
CNC Machining: China CNC Machining Company offers precision CNC machining services

think about it..now the Pre 3 has a aluminium finish lol..not too sure if it can take the stress and not do a Iphone bendy...
daexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dkirker and Jonnie like this.
Old 01/21/2013, 09:35 PM   #23 (permalink)

For the OEM copies, it should be easy, just send and pay ...the lady who makes those silicone molds charges very reasonable rates. For stuff that has to start out as a CAD wireframe, it should be possible to do 3D print in clear resin and after polishing, send the parts to her, to have the silicone mold made.

A brushed aluminum look could probably be created by painting a textured part... Metal flake powder + clearcoat. Too much hassle for mass production, unless someone volunteers to do the job...
Old 01/22/2013, 03:19 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
For the OEM copies, it should be easy, just send and pay ...the lady who makes those silicone molds charges very reasonable rates. For stuff that has to start out as a CAD wireframe, it should be possible to do 3D print in clear resin and after polishing, send the parts to her, to have the silicone mold made.

A brushed aluminum look could probably be created by painting a textured part... Metal flake powder + clearcoat. Too much hassle for mass production, unless someone volunteers to do the job...
I would eliminate the 3D printing step for the molds. The 3D printing step is the "cheap, $20 solution" so that people can print something, if they want. For the molds, I already have components (Veer magnetic housing, Pre3 bezel, Pre3 back, Pre3 extended back) that I can lend. (I don't really have a Veer bezel, or Veer back, that can be sent off.) I recommend both options (mold, and 3D).

Quote:
Originally Posted by daexpression
3. Alternative to 2 is to send for a CNC plastic/ metal prototyping.
CNC Machining: China CNC Machining Company offers precision CNC machining services
Hot damn! Now I want to machine a brushed aluminium bezel for mine!

I wouldn't do plastic with an aluminum powder coating, though. Likely to chip off very easily, and then look cheap.

FWIW, any of the CNC/custom suggestions are really going to just be that: custom. The best we can do is try to batch any orders. But... they will still likely be expensive.
Old 01/22/2013, 05:11 AM   #25 (permalink)

Nokia has provided the mechanical drawings for the Lumia 820’s back shell so you can modify and enhance the design then print it out on a 3D printer

3D print your own back cover for Nokia Lumia 820

Try contacting HP/Palm if they provide details of there discontinued products.
Firepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2013, 07:12 AM   #26 (permalink)

I wish that. I am a user too and it sounds good for my pre3
nc31002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2013, 03:08 PM   #27 (permalink)

Still waiting on a reply from HP. Though... Given this article: 3D printing your own Nokia Lumia case isn't all it's cracked up to be (hands-on) | The Verge injection molding or CNC machining will be the best options.

That being said... What do I need to do (with the Pre3 bezel, Pre3 std battery back, Pre3 extended battery back, and Veer headphone outer shell) to get the molds created?
Old 01/25/2013, 09:28 PM   #28 (permalink)

can i get mine in TARDIS blue !?
i had an idea on something else that may be possible, to be honest i didn't even search for this, so, my apologies, but with the ability to remove the outer ring to better fit the pre3 back to the touchstone would there be a way to fab a ring/adapter that would better fit to the og touchstone, i know im not fond of cutting up fridge magnets which are holding up my little ones artwork, or filing said down, which i bought 8/6/09 with my pre-, so to me my touchston is still a $70 piece of tech that i'd much rather not mar, per nostalgia and/or a bit of a perfectionist streak
wideeyed85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2013, 03:25 PM   #29 (permalink)

Any updates on that?
hamiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2013, 03:34 PM   #30 (permalink)

I got an XBox Kinect so that I can try to make 3D models of items. Going to give that a try!
Old 03/13/2013, 12:58 AM   #31 (permalink)

if this project is ongoing and there is need for someone to do a 3D cad of the back casing, I do know of such a person. However cause he's a freelance, he'd probably request from some fee to redesign the casing. Then we can use the casing design with shapeways and get it printed...let me know and I'd give him a buzz.
daexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/13/2013, 01:28 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
[...]
Hot damn! Now I want to machine a brushed aluminium bezel for mine!

I wouldn't do plastic with an aluminum powder coating, though. Likely to chip off very easily, and then look cheap.

[...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
[...]
That being said... What do I need to do (with the Pre3 bezel, Pre3 std battery back, Pre3 extended battery back, and Veer headphone outer shell) to get the molds created?
Sorry about being away for so long... with my complete lack of free time, i've had to set aside a lot of stuff i would otherwise work on.

That said, if you would look at my earlier posts in this thread, there are links to a few listings on Etsy for silicone molds, all of them by MoldMuse. So i would think we can contact her and work out this deal. She's got decades of experience and her prices on her regular items are quite fair.

Oh and for the "brushed metal" look, i think i found the solution... unidirectional aluminized fiberglass cloth. With the cross-stitching removed, it can be set in clear resin and the result might as well give that look we are trying to achieve while still leaving the back radio-transparent... (see attachment)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sell-Unidirectional-Fabric.jpg (73.8 KB, 38 views) Email Attachment
Old 03/13/2013, 07:57 AM   #33 (permalink)
Rnp

Hummm... just a suggestion: there is some chance to make a Pre3 adapter to use in common Touchstone?

Best Regards...
Liked by hrminer92 and RumoredNow like this.
Old 03/22/2013, 04:12 PM   #34 (permalink)

We are too many user. We are using HP PRE3. How dowe doit?, I want it!
Old 03/23/2013, 08:34 AM   #35 (permalink)

Maybe if 'WE' all send $1 to 'someone' - they would then have some $100's with which to actually DO this.. and be free to stop merely talking about DOing it?

Just a thought.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT A-D. ~ HP iPaq. hx-2110. WM 6.01.
TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Mini-5101.120Gb SSD. 3G/Wifi/BT. Win7.
Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2013, 12:02 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
Maybe if 'WE' all send $1 to 'someone' - they would then have some $100's with which to actually DO this.. and be free to stop merely talking about DOing it?

Just a thought.

ok, just letīs do it!... where Can I send 1$?
Old 03/24/2013, 12:19 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post

Just a thought.

I'm not going to accept any money, because I don't have the time to commit to this. It isn't a high priority on my project list at the moment. (I want to do it, but it isn't a priority.)
Old 03/24/2013, 06:47 AM   #38 (permalink)

So... back to the OP 'RemyX' then.. it seems there is 'interest' but no one - incuding yourself - has enough time to actually DO it!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT A-D. ~ HP iPaq. hx-2110. WM 6.01.
TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Mini-5101.120Gb SSD. 3G/Wifi/BT. Win7.
Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2013, 03:35 AM   #39 (permalink)

Hi all,

today I noticed a crack in the front bezel of my Pre3 in the bottom right corner.

Searching here for similar problems I found this thread and so: yes, I am interested as well in a replacement. (Also voted in the poll)

Regards,
UW
Old 04/04/2013, 09:15 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrSchwarz5 View Post
Hi all,

today I noticed a crack in the front bezel of my Pre3 in the bottom right corner.

Searching here for similar problems I found this thread and so: yes, I am interested as well in a replacement. (Also voted in the poll)

Regards,
UW
Funnily enough I had the same problem over the weekend only mine is bottom left. I guess it will hold together for a while but if this project does go ahead then count me in. I'm only really interested in a matt black replacement (like for like) but I guess I could be persuaded.
andyhurley is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0