webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Can never access photo app after "remove" from PC
Can never access photo app after "remove" from PC
Like Tree2Likes

Old 01/18/2013, 11:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

When I plug the Pre3 into my PC tu use as USB I always richt-click on it and select "remove", it then goes in charge mode. But I've noticed that every single time I just can't access the photo app later on, it just loads indefinitely. Any tips?
Old 01/18/2013, 11:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post
When I plug the Pre3 into my PC tu use as USB I always richt-click on it and select "remove", it then goes in charge mode. But I've noticed that every single time I just can't access the photo app later on, it just loads indefinitely. Any tips?
If you get the spinning wheel after you sideload photos, try a full phone reboot. It forces a read of the folders and updates the database.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2013, 12:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've noticed that restarting the device solves it but it's annoying as it happens every single time and restarting the Pre3 takes forever..
Old 01/18/2013, 12:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

LOL Love that boot time for webOS. It's like a nice, quiet, time out. Maybe get some tea, catch up on your correspondence, put some laundry in the wash... Come back and peek at the phone - nope, not ready yet.

There are some alt strategy threads around that have a workaround for the database update. I don't remember thread titles or content though. Sorry...
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dkirker and kataran like this.
Old 01/18/2013, 02:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Make sure you don't browse the pre's files on your computer with a 'Thumbnails' view, as this seems to slightly alter the filesystem. Instead try to use a 'List View'.

When you add or delete files in the DCIM folder via your computer, this will also mess up the filesystem. Try instead to copy them from the list view and paste to your computer. Any deleting should be done on the phone.

Also, Don't use 'Safely Remove', Instead use the 'Eject' option.

It's an annoying bug that has always been present on my Pre3 and has something to do with the way files are indexed in the pre's database. It seems ALL media files are indexed in the same single database, which gets corrupted any time you so much as *think* about moving files around!
Old 03/12/2013, 12:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
It's an annoying bug that has always been present on my Pre3 and has something to do with the way files are indexed in the pre's database. It seems ALL media files are indexed in the same single database, which gets corrupted any time you so much as *think* about moving files around!
Nope, not working. Followed this in detail, only used list not thumbnail, didn't delete anything or copy, always use eject, still can't open the phone app without a hard reset. I also noticed that I can't use the camera as it just won't save the photo taken. If anyone who can kill this silly bug foverer it'll be too late
Old 03/12/2013, 01:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

The other option is to download the WiFi File Sharing app from Preware.
When I access photos through this I never seem to get the problems with the 'Spinning Circle of Doom'.
Old 03/12/2013, 02:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Man I swear I posted in this earlier....

Sounds like a media indexer issue, I would guess the photos are being taken but not indexed by webOS when you have this issue.
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/13/2013, 01:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Could try that one or search in other threads on media indexer problems:
Media Indexer Refresh | webOS Nation
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/18/2013, 12:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
Could try that one or search in other threads on media indexer problems:
Media Indexer Refresh | webOS Nation
I already have the media indexer, it doesn't work with this stupid bug.

Quote:
The other option is to download the WiFi File Sharing app from Preware.
Correct me if I'm wrong, ff the PC has no wifi, this doesn't work right? It's not like Android where you can FTP your files..
Old 03/18/2013, 01:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
I already have the media indexer, it doesn't work with this stupid bug.

Correct me if I'm wrong, ff the PC has no wifi, this doesn't work right? It's not like Android where you can FTP your files..
if your wired to a wireless router ittl still work
Old 03/18/2013, 01:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
As Geekpeter says, it will work via your wireless router. It makes your Pre appear as a network drive.

You leave the app running in the background and until you swipe away the card you can access files on your Pre's USB partition.

I find the connection does take about 5 mins to settle after starting the app.
Old 03/19/2013, 02:50 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
As Geekpeter says, it will work via your wireless router. It makes your Pre appear as a network drive.
I installed WiFi File Sharing together with Easy Samba & Homebrew JS Service Framework, I open up the app but I'm not sure what I should see next and where, I can't see my phone anywhere on my PC and I'm not inclined to leave the app open too long to be honest as I'm not sure I want my colleagues and bosses to see what's on my phone... anyone could be specific on where I should see the drive? I've read the WiFi File Sharing thread but I'm none the wiser.
Old 03/19/2013, 03:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

Hi all,

I also have a Pre3 and experienced the same problem. After connecting as USB device and disconnecting via "Eject", the photo app and the internal music player spin endlessly.
Formerly I also did a reboot, which fixed it, but was inconvenient.
Yesterday I may accidentally have found a workaround:
1. connect via USB
2. eject
3. while the USB cable is still connected, try the photo-app
4. if the spinning wheel is shown, reconnect as USB drive
5. eject again
6. open the photo app again. This time it opens and no spinning wheel is shown.

I only tested that twice now, but both time it worked and I really hope, that it works every time and not only for me.

I'm on windows 7 home premium 32-bit and have a German Pre3

Regards,
Uwe

P.S.: Every time I connect, win7 asks me to scan and fix my Pre - what will happen if I select to do this?
Old 03/19/2013, 05:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I installed WiFi File Sharing together with Easy Samba & Homebrew JS Service Framework, I open up the app but I'm not sure what I should see next and where, I can't see my phone anywhere on my PC and I'm not inclined to leave the app open too long to be honest as I'm not sure I want my colleagues and bosses to see what's on my phone... anyone could be specific on where I should see the drive? I've read the WiFi File Sharing thread but I'm none the wiser.
To find my Pre3, I just click on the 'Network' icon on my desktop and the phone appears in the list of devices. As I said previously, it sometimes takes a few minutes to appear. Obviously other people on your wireless network will be able to access your files too, but they'd have to know you've connected I guess.
Old 03/19/2013, 06:19 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
LOL Love that boot time for webOS. It's like a nice, quiet, time out. Maybe get some tea, catch up on your correspondence, put some laundry in the wash... Come back and peek at the phone - nope, not ready yet.
Thanks for reminding me to do my laundry!! :P

I think there might be a luna service command to force the filenotify service to "unstick". I also think I patched my photos app (I should upload it!) to not display the stupid spinner. It might mean that your new photo won't show up because filenotifyd is "stuck", but at least you can access others.... I should probably do this with the music app, too.
Old 03/20/2013, 10:41 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrSchwarz5 View Post
Hi all,

I also have a Pre3 and experienced the same problem. After connecting as USB device and disconnecting via "Eject", the photo app and the internal music player spin endlessly.
Formerly I also did a reboot, which fixed it, but was inconvenient.
Yesterday I may accidentally have found a workaround:
1. connect via USB
2. eject
3. while the USB cable is still connected, try the photo-app
4. if the spinning wheel is shown, reconnect as USB drive
5. eject again
6. open the photo app again. This time it opens and no spinning wheel is shown.

I only tested that twice now
I tested it once, didn't work. Have to do the laundry, make myself a coffee, watch an episode of CSI and wait for the damn phone to swhitch on again after a hard reset..

Quote:
To find my Pre3, I just click on the 'Network' icon on my desktop and the phone appears in the list of devices
Nope, can't see anything.
Old 03/20/2013, 10:52 AM   #18 (permalink)

I would suggest checking the logs at this time, and see if there's something holding up the indexer or database service.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2013, 11:17 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
I would suggest checking the logs at this time, and see if there's something holding up the indexer or database service.
and that's an ordinary operation, is it? I must say I'm not very tech savvy..
Old 03/20/2013, 11:56 AM   #20 (permalink)

Check the link in my signature.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0