webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Notification pulse and brightness
Notification pulse and brightness

Old 01/11/2013, 02:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Just got a pre 3 after having iphones and androids for some time and its a breath of fresh air.

I have searched but cant find any patches for it. Can the pulse notification be set to off while on the touchstone as it flashes quite bright at the side of the bed. Also while on touchstone can the clock be dimmed further?

My only gripe with the pre 3 is poor battery life. It uses 8% an hour just sat doing nothing.
waj1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2013, 04:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Enjoy webOS!

Patches can be found in our homebrew "App Store" called Preware. In order to install this you need to take a few steps:

1. Enable "Developer Mode" (similar to jailbreak on Apple and Rooting on Android, but a lot easier ), see
https://developer.palm.com/content/a...oper-mode.html

Just enter "20090606" in Just Type and enable the "Developer Mode"

2. Use WebOS QuickInstall (WOSQI for short) in order to connect your Pre3 and install Preware on your Pre3.

After you installed Preware using WOSQI you can run Preware on your phone and install Homebrew and Patches

Poor battery life is a fact of life with modern smartphones unfortunately. There are various things you can do about this:

Install Govnah from Preware and another Kernel (‹berkernel). Just play around with the settings in Govnah and it might give you some better battery life.

Another trick is to not receive emails "on the go", but to check for them every 10, 15, 30 or 60 minutes depending on your needs
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Simon Warner
Old 01/11/2013, 04:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. I already have preware installed, I should have said.

I have done a few patches already. I removed my skype account and set google contacts and calendar to sync every few days.

I have the new kernal and govner installed also. I do have email to push though. It is connected to my wifi at home virtually all the time so not sure if thats zapping it.

I know smartphones dont have the best battery but both iphone and many android phones atleast last all day with a nightly charge. Just not sure this will last that long especially if I actually use it lol.

Is there a patch to disable the pulse when on the touchstone?
Old 01/11/2013, 05:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Warner View Post
Thanks. I already have preware installed, I should have said.

I have done a few patches already. I removed my skype account and set google contacts and calendar to sync every few days.

I have the new kernal and govner installed also. I do have email to push though. It is connected to my wifi at home virtually all the time so not sure if thats zapping it.

I know smartphones dont have the best battery but both iphone and many android phones atleast last all day with a nightly charge. Just not sure this will last that long especially if I actually use it lol.

Is there a patch to disable the pulse when on the touchstone?
What do you mean by "pulse" ?
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2013, 06:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
What do you mean by "pulse" ?
Sorry, the led pulse on the bottom gesture area.

Battery issues on mine may be due to it not being used for some time as it was a sealed new one. Maybe a few more cycles of charging may improve it.

Last edited by Simon Warner; 01/11/2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01/11/2013, 11:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

I don't know of any patches to disable notifications during certain times of the day, not a bad idea though. There is one to disable having the lightbar one when a card is active that I use, and I don't use blink notifications for email because I get so many of them. Maybe save the blink just for missed calls and SMS'es?

On my Veer if I hit the power button while it's on the touchstone in exhibition mode it turns the screen completely off. Not sure if that's what you want when you asked about dimming the clock, but it would help in a dark bedroom anyway.
trwrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2013, 12:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Install the "Advanced System Prefs - System Prefs (ATT/VZW) patch. It has a switch to turn of the Blink Notifications at the bottom of menu.
netwrkr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2013, 02:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks all, I will give em a try.

I have just had a play with my sons gs2 and my wifes ip4s and they both just feel wrong lol. I know they have tons of apps but the pre feels better in my hand, better keyboard and real multi tasking.

I tried a nokia lumia also and that was long winded to move between apps.

Just a shame there aint gonna be a new version of webos on the pre 3
Old 01/17/2013, 12:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Welcome. I've never owned another smartphone besides Palm. Centro, Pre Plus, Pre 2, now Pre 3. My impression of the rest is that there're clunky and they've been fed to the masses who never had the opportunity to experience webos. Shame..

Take Care
Btravelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 01:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

I think it would be a fine idea if notification blinks can be customized. So in Luna an app can set its notification to a certain preset category (like email, texts, missed calls), and depending on the category, it would do a different blink pattern. In fact, split up the LEDs so one half can be used for something while the other half can be used for something else. In that configuration, maybe allow each LED to be at a static brightness, and the brighter the LED is the more items of something (like email) there are.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0