webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Pre3 2%/hr to 7%/hr - is doctor the only solution?
Pre3 2%/hr to 7%/hr - is doctor the only solution?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By geekpeter

Old 01/06/2013, 08:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hi everyone,

I am almost a month into my Pre3 and things are going pretty well. I have a handful of apps and 15 or so patches. I recently purchased a Mugen 1400 battery. I was seeing about 2%/hour or less battery drain on my stock battery.

Unfortunately, as soon as I put in the 1400 battery, I was seeing about 6%/hour battery drain. I followed the "initialization" steps as Mugen describes (4-5 charges of 8+ hours), and the drain has been the same throughout. So, I put the stock battery back in and now it, too, is draining at the 6-7%/hour rate. I guess I screwed up my phone's voltage or current? I don't know batteries.

Anyway, I guess I need to "Doctor" my phone. I'd like to avoid this at all costs since I haven't done it and don't want to unnecessarily go through the process. Does anyone know of a way to reset the power draw somehow? Or any other ideas?

I thought I read about this happening to someone else, but I can't find the thread. Any suggestions or ideas are much appreciated. Thanks for the help.
slight9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2013, 09:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hi,

Your current battery drain rate seems very ordinary to me. I only expect my Pre3 to last 10 or 12 hours away from the charger even if I don't use it much.

I had a Mugen battery myself. I was glad to have it but it never performed as well as the (lower rated) stock battery and has already (after, say, 11 months) started to deteriorate noticeably.

I just got a new Pre3 because my first one's media partition failed. I logged into my Palm profile and the phone pretty much came back up like the old one but a bit tidier That is a roundabout way of saying "Go ahead and doctor your phone if you think it will help". I don't think it will help, but it shouldn't hurt either. (You do have backups turned on do you? Your data will only come back if it is backed up of course.)

In short, I think you have no problem and that you worry too much.
elvispre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2013, 10:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hi elvis,

Thanks for the encouragement. I will doctor if there are no other tricks or checks. I don't use backup, but manually backup the stuff I want (contacts, photos, etc.).

I disagree that -7% per hour is normal though when the phone is doing nothing. All radios are off except for the cell connection. GPS is off, and the default UberKernel with screenstate is being used. If nothing else, going from -2% per hour idle to -7% per hour idle implies something is wrong.
Old 01/06/2013, 12:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

7% / hr on idle is definately not normal. Before doctoring you could check if there's some kind of 'stuck' process. See this thread.
DocJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: slight9
Old 01/06/2013, 12:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Try disabling data, and switching your accounts' syncing to a fixed time instead of push. You may try yo go with one account at a time.

My bet is that some account isn't syncing correctly and your phone keeps trying until it kills the battery.

Of course, you may have a runaway app. By the way, I read somewhere a while ago that the battery percentage patches can somehow affect battery life.

Good luck

Enviado desde mi GT-I9300 usando Tapatalk 2

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
Needs: Veer (anyone?)
Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
Twitter: @cesarneg
NuttyBunny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2013, 03:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks NuttyBunny for the tips. I have email set to manual sync, and have done a bunch of restarts but I will keep that in mind going forward. The battery patches probably do affect the battery life some, but that still doesn't explain why everything would work fine for 2 weeks, and then suddenly break when I put in the larger battery. But thanks again for the tips.

DocJones, that's a great thread. I read it through and will take a look at my device.

Long story short, I got impatient and doctored. It was pretty painless given my mild customizations, but definitely something I want to avoid. I'll keep an eye on my battery throughout the rest of the day and I'll post an update here later if the problem returns.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 01/06/2013, 04:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

You might try adding accounts one at a time just to see if one of them breaks the battery usage.

Another thing that I didn't think of, messaging IS a real battery hog.

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
Old 01/06/2013, 04:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
Try disabling data, and switching your accounts' syncing to a fixed time instead of push. You may try yo go with one account at a time.

My bet is that some account isn't syncing correctly and your phone keeps trying until it kills the battery.

Of course, you may have a runaway app. By the way, I read somewhere a while ago that the battery percentage patches can somehow affect battery life.

Good luck

could be this, i have a hotmail and gmail account setup on my email, the gmails fine but somethign interesting happens EVERY time with my hotmail accoutns on pre3 and touchpad, after a good few months the hotmail accounts seem to jump to some weirdass/wrong password, causing them to attempt LOTS of false login attempts, then i find logging into hotmail via a pc through a nomal webpage i get told that my password needs reset due to a ton of bad logins.

I also had a message within hotmail that "another program was attempting to access/delete pop hotmail, and told me to goto settings to change some settings, which gave me the message/options below.

POP and deleting downloaded messages
If you use POP to download Hotmail messages to another program, that program could make it so you can't read your messages on Hotmail. (For example, this might happen if you use Mac Mail or Mozilla Thunderbird).

1) Don't let another program delete messages from Hotmail. (If your other program is set to "delete messages from the server," we'll simply move them to a special POP folder. They won't be deleted.)
2) Do what my other program says-if it says to delete messages, then delete them.

once i reset password via normal pc/webpage, my webos account then works again np, well for a few months then its somehow back to using the wrong password again and i have to go through the process again.

All those repeated failed attempts at logins cant be good tho, might be the cause of some of my battery loss now and then, might just chuck the hotmail account away and stick to gmail, it works perfectly.

your definatly right tho, with your phone doing nothing there shouldnt be a huge powerdrain unless you have the phone ON in a place with a terrible signal, which i do in my house so the phone only gets turned on infrequently and auto turns off at night when im asleep.

also make sure your availability is set to "offline" or "unavailable" in the chat/messaging app, it also eats battery.
Old 01/06/2013, 07:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hey guys,

Thanks again for the help and ideas. The update after 6 or so hours of doctoring and re-downloading everything, it seems to be back to normal with the *new* battery. I'm draining around -1% per hour with the new battery, which makes sense given that I was -2% or better with the old (smaller) battery.

@geekpeter - that's interesting that your hotmail is so jacked up. I use strictly imap and never POP to avoid any fragmentation. But I don't think my email accounts (2 gmail, 1 person, 1 yahoo) are causing problems because they are set to sync every 24 hours, which means they should be logging in on their own very infrequently, since I almost always check it once a day.

I'm not using anything other than the regular messaging application (no IM or skype or anything), so I should be good on battery life there. One thing that just struck me is I did add 3 or so patches recently (i.e., after my first wave of patches, which all worked fine). The patches were for messaging 1) font size, 2) timestamps, and 3) char counter. I highly doubt any of those contributed to it, but I'll add them one at a time just in case.

Once again, thanks for the feedback.
Old 01/07/2013, 01:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

how is your phone signal if it is roaming it might drain your battery
Ziplock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2013, 07:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziplock View Post
how is your phone signal if it is roaming it might drain your battery
Roaming or just low signal has that same effect

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Old 01/07/2013, 01:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

The signal is actually pretty decent. But, either way, the problem was really in the change of the battery drain rate without a change in usage or location or radios or anything, other than that a new battery was being used. Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 01/07/2013, 04:59 PM   #13 (permalink)

Another thing you might try is my patch to reduce the contact/calendar sync frequency, which by default is every 20 minutes even if your email is set to manual or daily.

[PATCH] Change calendar/contact sync frequency (2.2.4) - testers wanted
greenoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2013, 04:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

doctor it, then observe drain without modifications... if it persists... battery may be dying.
ceejayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2013, 04:40 PM   #15 (permalink)

check govnah, my pre was running at max speed, ended up being faulty contact sync. after deleteing or modifying some contact it returned back to normal.
Firepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2013, 12:48 PM   #16 (permalink)

Hi guys, doctoring solved my issue so I no longer have the battery drain when the phone is idle.

@Firepower - Are you saying Govnah will tell me the process that is causing my phone to run at max speed? As far as I know, only running 'top' from xterm will do this. How did you find out the it was a faulty contact causing problems?

@greenoyster - That's interesting. Do the contacts sync every 20 minutes even if Palm backups are turned off? I don't use Palm back up at all. It's set to off, so I wouldn't think that the contact sync would be running. If it is, I definitely need to turn it off. 20 minutes seems a bit aggressive in my opinion. I'm not Ryan Gosling, and I doubt even he picks up numbers that quickly. I'll check out your patch.
Old 01/09/2013, 05:04 PM   #17 (permalink)

no govnah alerted me that i had an program hogging the cpu, running at full speeed 100% of the time. I then ran top in terminal and then did search in forum for file that was maxing out CPU, forum indicated it was part of contacts.
Firepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: slight9
Old 01/09/2013, 05:17 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
no govnah alerted me that i had an program hogging the cpu, running at full speeed 100% of the time. I then ran top in terminal and then did search in forum for file that was maxing out CPU, forum indicated it was part of contacts.
my first point of call tends to be govnah as well, using the CPU graph, after changing the poll internal to 1second for a better result, just to see if i leave it alone with the graph up, what is it doing?, it "should" hover at low frequencies when sat doing nothing, but if i see it leaping to 1.4ghz or anywhere near top then yeah im there also looking for what processes are the culprit for a clearer view.

its probably easier if youve had no issues then "suddenly" get such an issue after recently installing or patchign something, but sometimes its not that convenient.

I also check the above when messign with new/differing govnah settings when im on a hunt for "decent" performance while trying to extend battery life, hard to find a good balance tho.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0