webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Pre 3 Standalone via WiFi
Pre 3 Standalone via WiFi
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0

Old 12/27/2012, 03:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

My dad has an old Palm Centro on a grandfathered plan that he won't get rid of until the phone dies. He wants to get an unlocked Pre 3 to use as a WiFi-only device until the Centro dies. Besides the phone functions (calls, IM, MMS, etc) are there any other features that wouldn't work using the Pre 3 WiFi only (i.e. GPS)? Will the device even work WiFi only?
smeagle12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2012, 03:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think various people have used webOS phones in general WiFi only. The GPS should work, since that relies on the built in GPS receiver and not cellular network, though it's possible there may be locking trouble (I heard the GPS can get fixing data from cell network, though I'm not sure if it's fact). Pretty much everything else should work. I don't know of any services that requires the use of cell data instead of WiFi data.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2012, 05:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I always turn on Google Location services, which improves my GPS response speed drastically. You would have to either meta-doctor or use the DEVMODE trick to get it to run Wifi only
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2012, 09:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I believe the Pre3 should work using the GPS , the only thing is probably an increased delay time to get a good signal.

I use my Pre2 almost every other day for tracking walks and it works great, just be sure to stand still for a minute or so until you get a good signal.

For a good guide on steps to follow I recommend reading the Bypass Activation articles below.

2.x.x bypass article
Bypass Activation [webOS 2.x] | webOS Nation

1.x.x bypass article
Bypass Activation [webOS 1.x] | webOS Nation

All other features should work unless it requires an internet connection for use when a WiFi signal isn't available.
-Apps-
Paid:
Days To Come, Days Gone By, Quick-Keys Keyboard, Days Till Christmas, Days Till Christmas HD, Days Till New Year, Days Till New Year HD
Free:
Night Light Timer, webOS Launcher
djgardn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: MartinH@webos
Old 12/27/2012, 09:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
No, the GPS doesn't work at all without an active SIM card in the device. Google Location Services work well though.
Interesting, I don't know if that only applies to the Pre3 only but my Pre2 GPS works without a SIM card in the phone during use.
-Apps-
Paid:
Days To Come, Days Gone By, Quick-Keys Keyboard, Days Till Christmas, Days Till Christmas HD, Days Till New Year, Days Till New Year HD
Free:
Night Light Timer, webOS Launcher
djgardn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Garrett92C
Old 12/28/2012, 01:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
Holy crap, I just tried it again and it worked! Took a while, but eventually got a lock. This is the first time I've ever got my Pre3's GPS working without a SIM. Strange...
With an active phone radio connection the first GPS fix is found very much faster.
When I use GPS (eg. navit) I always enable phone radio connection too. (Mode switcher does this for me.)

(I have not tried enabling the phone connection without a valid SIM card. perhaps that is already enough to get GPS working better.)
MartinH@webos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2012, 11:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Pre 3 is a Verizon unit and I have no sim in it and no cellular radio connection and everything works well. I have several apps that require GPS and I get a location quick-ish. Sometimes it only takes 1-2 seconds and others 10-15. As long as you can get a WiFi signal you should be good.. I even have Jason Robitaille's Radio always off patch installed.
jkromero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2012, 07:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

interesting .. but when I'm on the road I almost never have Wifi connection ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkromero View Post
I even have Jason Robitaille's Radio always off patch installed.
Hmm, what is that? Can I use that to completely disable "data connection" with phone because I have Pre devices without any flat data plan. But still I want to use the phone to call someone.
MartinH@webos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2012, 08:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post

Hmm, what is that? Can I use that to completely disable "data connection" with phone because I have Pre devices without any flat data plan. But still I want to use the phone to call someone.
This is a patch that turns the cellular radio off and removes the signal strength bars from the top bar. This would do the exact opposite of what you want to do.
jkromero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2012, 09:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post

You can turn off data in the phone app preferences. There is also a patch 'data in device menu' that will let you turn if on and off faster. I don't recall whether it would automatically turn back on after a restart though.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Last edited by Grabber5.0; 12/29/2012 at 10:25 AM.
Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by jkromero likes this.
Thanked By: gderoiste
Old 02/03/2013, 02:34 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
I think various people have used webOS phones in general WiFi only. The GPS should work, since that relies on the built in GPS receiver and not cellular network, though it's possible there may be locking trouble (I heard the GPS can get fixing data from cell network, though I'm not sure if it's fact). Pretty much everything else should work. I don't know of any services that requires the use of cell data instead of WiFi data.
I tried to use my pre without a sim, but can not get a GPS fix.

Gesendet von meinem Galaxy Nexus
siggi_digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/03/2013, 07:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

Don't forget that you will need a sim in it to register your palm account when first starting the device, or atleast thats what I remember.
mattmers is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0