webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Thinking of making the plunge and buying a Pre 3
Thinking of making the plunge and buying a Pre 3

Old 12/24/2012, 08:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

So the Pre 3 is basically my dream phone and I really want to try it. Before I drop $200 on it I have some questions for all of you current users. I had a Pre 2 before and loved it but there were a few reasons I had to move on from it. I have 2 phones I use now so these issues might not be as significant as they were before.
1. How is the GPS and turn by turn navigation? Isn't there something in prepare called navit? The Pre 2 was awful as a GPS and it would be very helpful if the Pre 3s was actually good.
2. The Spotify app on the Pre 2 wasn't perfect, but it was functional enough. You can access it on the Pre 3 correct?
3. Evernote always had syncing issues for me. I'm assuming thats still the case or is there a workaround? Or is there anyway to bring e-notes from the touchpad to the Pre 3?
4. This isn't as big of a deal but how is the battery life?
5. How are the apps displayed on the Pre 3? If I'm not mistaken since its a bigger screen and the apps were never updated it doesn't fit the whole screen. Does it make it look bad or can you hardly notice?
6. Are there still issues activating on Verizon? I'm not sure which model I want to purchase yet, but I just wanted to see if Verizon was even an option.
Thanks everyone, hopefully I can make this happen!
touchthatpad106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/24/2012, 10:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

I can speak to a few of your concerns:

1. Don't bother trying to use the Pre for turn-by-turn. I found Navit to be a barely functional eye-sore, and I was never able to get it to work properly. If you really want the Pre3 (and who could blame you?) you'll also want to factor in an extra $100-$200 for a stand-alone GPS, or I guess you could pay the monthly fee for VZ Navigator.

2. I'm afraid I don't use Spotify, so I don't have any experience with the app.

3. Evernote never gave me problems, but I'm not a heavy user of the service, and the app *is* long in the tooth and unsupported.

4. Battery life is not great, but manageable. I get about half a day out of a full charge. Put touchstones everywhere, make sure you have a car charger, and you'll be fine.

5. Apps that haven't been updated for the larger screen have a single black bar at the bottom. If you have even one notification in the dashboard, this bar gets covered up. If you really hate it, most apps can be fixed by adding a single line of code. Search the forums to find it. Honestly, the bar isn't terrible, though.

6. As I'm on AT&T, I'm afraid I can't help you there.

To sum up:
I love my Pre3, and I use it everyday to check twitter and these forums. But my sim is in my old iPhone 4. :-/
I've had some intermittent issues syncing my google calendars and contacts. I rely on the convenience of having GPS on my phone. To top it off, most of my family members are on iPhones, and iMessage is a lot cheaper than paying for a large texting plan.

Despite the fact that I'm not using it as my daily driver, I do love the phone, and I would strongly recommend it, minus the caveats I've mentioned. It's unsupported hardware, will not get system updates, and apps are scarce, but if you're going into it with your eyes open, it could still work for you.

Keep in mind, though, what $200 can get you right now if you get a new phone on contract...
jlamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/24/2012, 12:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knicks2030 View Post
So the Pre 3 is basically my dream phone and I really want to try it. Before I drop $200 on it I have some questions for all of you current users. I had a Pre 2 before and loved it but there were a few reasons I had to move on from it. I have 2 phones I use now so these issues might not be as significant as they were before.
1. How is the GPS and turn by turn navigation? Isn't there something in prepare called navit? The Pre 2 was awful as a GPS and it would be very helpful if the Pre 3s was actually good.
2. The Spotify app on the Pre 2 wasn't perfect, but it was functional enough. You can access it on the Pre 3 correct?
3. Evernote always had syncing issues for me. I'm assuming thats still the case or is there a workaround? Or is there anyway to bring e-notes from the touchpad to the Pre 3?
5. How are the apps displayed on the Pre 3? If I'm not mistaken since its a bigger screen and the apps were never updated it doesn't fit the whole screen. Does it make it look bad or can you hardly notice?
6. Are there still issues activating on Verizon? I'm not sure which model I want to purchase yet, but I just wanted to see if Verizon was even an option.
1. My Pre 3 works fine with Navit. Use it from time to time and the only problem is that sometimes I seem to have to "kickstart" GPS using GPSfix.
4. My usage pattern is browsing and a few phone calls and SMS. I just put it on the charger over night.
5. Most apps display fine. The system makes a 1.5x scale adjustment and the screen just looks "nicer".
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/24/2012, 03:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
I have been using a Pre 3 for 2.5 months now, having come from a Pre 2.
The GPS is 1000x better, Navit works fine for me, usually I get a GPS lock within 10-15 seconds.
Battery life is much better than the Pre 2.
As noted above, some apps need a minor fix to get them using the full screen. Remember the Pre 3 screen is not just larger, but higher resolution, so everything looks better.
I'm on Verizon, I had no issues activating it, I did it all online. Verizon doesn't have a picture of the Pre 3 to display, so a generic picture shows instead, looks more like an android phone.
Watch ebay, I've seen them going for $180 new, sometimes as low as $150. I got both mine used, with software issues, fixed by the helpful folks here.
Old 12/24/2012, 04:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
I've been using my Pre3 for about 14 months now, and I like it as much as ever. Here's my take on your concerns:
1. For GPS, I use nDrive. They've stopped webOS support, but you can still get the app, and you can still purchase maps from within it. Download the UberAppCat app (it's free) and search for nDrive. Download "Beta 6", it's free. You can download the maps from within nDrive (but be prepared for loooong downloads as the maps are a couple of gigabytes in size -- at least the US maps are). I've regularly used it in my car and I like it (I've also got a bit of a crush on the English voice, "Mary"!)
2. Yes, the Spotify app works on the Pre 3. I'm new to Spotify though, so I haven't put it through all its paces.
3. I can't comment because I haven't used it. The closest thing I've used is TapNote, which works with DropBox on both the Pre3 and the TP.
4. I've found battery life to be fine. In all fairness, I must say that I don't use the phone much -- mostly WiFi web browsing, Facebook, email, etc. For me, it'll last the day on a single charge, and the ease of using a touchstone charger makes it almost a moot point. The Pre3 works with the touchstone right out of the box (you don't have to buy a separate cover as with earlier pres and pixis). The 3's slightly rounded back is not ideal for the touchstone, but there are simple methods of improving the "fit": make your classic touchstone hold your pre 3 better. I prefer the magnetic strips, but more recently, some have tried small magnets with much success. Read through the thread to see what I mean. Also note that Mugen sells 1400 and 2800 extended-life batteries specifically for the Pre3. Bottom line is that if battery life isn't a big deal, as you say, then you'll be fine.
5. You can fix this for many apps. See: Make apps fit the whole screen Pre3
6. I'm on at&t, so I can't speak about Verizon. I can say that I had absolutely no problems activating on at&t.
Good luck!

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini
..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
carldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by ananimus, Jimbode
Old 12/26/2012, 12:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:

you can find them for close to $150 if you shop carefully. get at least one extra battery but know that you can only charge them in a phone. i tried a universal battery charger and it melted a new battery! (there's a thread i wrote about it here)

1. How is the GPS and turn by turn navigation? Isn't there something in prepare called navit?

i had the "new" google maps; the homebrew version and it worked awesome. but i did not have a turn by turn on the phone. i dont trust those; they've lead me to wrong places, so i got in the habit of just reading the directions instead.

The Pre 2 was awful as a GPS and it would be very helpful if the Pre 3s was actually good.

i have actually pulled over, stood outside in the street under a clear night sky, with two phones, and couldn't get gps on either the Pre3 on T-Mo, or the Pre- on Sprint, until i rebooted them both, and then only the Sprint started working again. so GPS has always been a hit-or-miss issue for me with webOS regardless of which phone

i never used spotify, but i did use apollo on Pre3 and it ran awesome, except it won't send audio over BT. but i've ran it 13 hrs straight connected to the home stereo. commercial free, with maybe two unexplained pauses, which only required a 'wake up' touch to resume.

not familiar with this app, sorry

i made the same tweaks for batt life: lowest backlight setting, longest email checks, google chat off. what vacuumed battery for me, was trying T-MO's new H+ service in Atlanta. Switching service back n' forth from Edge, and hunting for H+ once sucked a new battery dry in 5 hours of standby on one of my 'test runs'. So i strongly suggest checking your local coverage, and most likely going with Straight Talk or just ATT, which should have more consistent H+ coverage. You will want to keep chargers everywhere, and at least one spare battery. i had 5 but actually never used them, because the phone never made it to being a daily use phone for me.

The resolution is great. Only a few apps seemed made for the TP and not the 3's resolution. i read about some apps that looked smaller, but i everything I used had a Pre3 specific version, so i didn't experience that much if at all.

But browsing web pages, i found the text very small, requiring me to pinch-zoom much closer, thus requiring more scrolling around to view a whole page. Like reading a newspaper with a magnifying glass instead of eyeglasses, it got a little tedious.

i had a GSM phone, so i had it on STalk for a month, and T-Mo for a month, before i gave up on trying to use H+ in Atlanta metro area, because the T-Mo coverage just isn't consistent enough, and when you lose H+, you're dropping to 2G. My primary use is Pandora, which i did learn will stream even on EDGE so i suddenly lost interest in H+'s battery draining antenna. I reviewed my pricing with my current Sprint family plan, vs. what i could get with GSM mvnos. We've got 3 lines on Sprint for $180 mo., and i'm still running without their $10 smartphone upcharge. so it suddenly seemed most economical to switch back to a Frankenpre and keep using $60 unlimited 3G without any worries of coverage, roaming, cancellation or overages.

If you go with a VZN model, i'm pretty sure you'll be stuck on 3G only, but i've heard the VZN phones do take a sim card, so maybe they can be used elsewhere. Also, T-MO just merged with MetroPCS, which is CDMA, so you may find a new alternative there besides Page Plus, which i think is the only VZN mvno. But i don't think the VZN phone will receive any kind of 4G speeds, H+ or LTE.

My responses are in bold above; plus...
...it is an awesome phone. i probably should have given it another shot on STalk before selling them, but i was motivated to sell them before Christmas to try to recover as much of my investment as i could while the demand was high. i was too deeply invested in the phone for the lack of satisfaction i felt with it. i cynically decided i could be just as slightly disappointed with a Pre2 - for much less money. and i really do like the smaller size of the original Pre chassis. the bigger screen/higher res of the Pre3 was spoiled by the text being too small for my blind ol' eyes. That may not be a factor for you at all; but the rest of the design improvements are good ones, and i will miss them. i may still get another some day, if prices drop below $100

and prices do fluctuate, so watch the fleabay 'completed listings'. i bought my first one for 270, my second for 170, and sold them both for 235 each, but that included two new batteries, a TStone and shipping, so really like 160 each, which is about the going rate right now. prices may drop after the christmas buying frenzy, but may peak again later as they get harder to find. good luck!
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2012, 02:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

I recently took the plunge an got a pre 3 as well. Sad to say as much as I love webos I'm shipping the phone back as soon as I get the chance. I came from windows phone an to be honest just got to accustomed to the speed and ease of use on WP.

I installed preware to help with the app situation but even that wasn't enough to keep me from using my old WP. I immediately started to miss basic features such as integrated fb, people hub,SkyDrive, and a bunch of other apps I use on the daily basis.

In the end I just didn't wanna be carrying around 2 phones and found modding my phone for basic features more time consuming then I had the patience for. Its a good phone if you honestly don't care about apps.

I do however hope webos can at some point make a comeback but as of now, my pre 3 is back in the box and ready to send back to eBay as I've gone back to windows.

Goodluck
bobbysworldrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2012, 08:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

There is a few skydrive apps for the Pre3, also box.com, I think dropboxify is still around or some equivalent but am not sure.
It is easy to activate on Verizon but you may have to walk the Verizon tech through the process so search the forums here for the procedure so you are ready
I use VZW navigator when I need it and VZW prorates the monthly charge when it is cancelled. I recently saw that VZW had a huge sale on this service for the iphone so I am thinking of adding it and then switching back to the Pre to see if it sticks.
Pre3 shows file system and is easy to drag and drop files and hotspot so still nice to use. I use TapNote and Notes HD sometimes and sometimes the stock memo app.

The browser is getting older and some of the apps don't work well for me (the recording apps stop after 30 min on my pre3 although they work fine on the Veer).

I don't regret my Pre3 purchase but would not pay more than $150 for the phone because the o/s is not supported for future updates.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2012, 09:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

RE: Navit

I have successfully used Navit on my Pre 3. On one occasion, it didn't know the exact address but it got me to the street OK, all the other times it got me where I wanted to go without a hitch.
Old 12/27/2012, 11:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi i am UK webOS fan, with pre2 phone is ok, but wanted pre3 to use with Touchpad, found one in small
Phone Shop new sealed for about. 125 GBP, very rare here. With touchstone dock/ car charger and world mains
Charger included, battery life acceptable. Spare battery advisable. Bought one On Amazon 10 GBP. Came
From Chinese maker for pre3, if. Pre3 is your Dream phone buy it before no more are left and enjoy,
No regrets buying mine, switch off 3G data if not needed battery lasts longer, mine updated to 2.2.4
And some useful apps in store, and it has flashplayer for Web videos. 10.3 version,
Main phone windows 7.5, but pre3 phone still amazes friends when they see it,
anon5288998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2012, 09:15 AM   #11 (permalink)

I switched from a Pre- on Sprint to a Motorola Photon. I still miss some of the ease-of use of the Pre, although I certainly don't miss the lag, and the freezing up. But I have been wondering if a Pre 3 might be speedy enough. I never seriously considered it, because I have Sprint, but there isn't really a phone I want on Sprint right now, and I'm toying with moving to an unlocked GMS phone, in which case, this becomes a viable option.

Any advise? Any warnings?

I still have a lot of touchstones knocking around (they work as a stand for the photon, since the kickstand is attracted to the battery.) Is it a different battery? (Because I have some Pre batteries, and an external charger that worked.)

I'm heartened to see there are still some people here.
Puzzlegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2012, 09:54 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzlegal View Post
I still have a lot of touchstones knocking around (they work as a stand for the photon, since the kickstand is attracted to the battery.) Is it a different battery? (Because I have some Pre batteries, and an external charger that worked.)
The batteries are different, there is no external charger for the Pre 3 batteries.
Old 12/28/2012, 03:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

There are universal chargers that might work. Didn't try it yet to be honest but might work

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 01/01/2013, 12:12 AM   #14 (permalink)

I can't thank you all enough for your inputs and opinions. After reading all of the posts I think I am going to pass. Unfortunately as much as I don't want to admit it I am a power user. I don't use that many apps, but there are some apps I definitely need and from what it sounds like especially with the GPS, I don't know if the Pre3 would hold up for me. I think of my Webos experience from the TouchPad which I still use almost everyday, but it's not a fair comparison. Also some of you mentioned having a windows phone and struggled readjusting to Webos. I currently have used 2 windows phone devices (the radar and 8X) So I feel like the transition back would be hard for me as well. Maybe just to say I tried it or have it if I can get it for $100-$150 ill make the plunge, but for now I just don't think it is worth it.

Sent from my Droid Incredible 4G(one of my many devices)
Old 01/03/2013, 10:43 PM   #15 (permalink)

I just ordered a Pre 3 to use on my AT&T line. Looking forward to it, I've wanted one for quite some time.
paul-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 06:25 PM   #16 (permalink)

So I gave in and got a heck of a deal on an AT&T Unlocked Pre 3 for only $135! I'm struggling getting the phone set up though. I'm using my fiancees sim card which doesn't have data on it and I can't get past signing into my webos profile. Can I bypass this and sign in later when I am on wifi? Thank you and she's on T-Mobile although I don't think that matters.
Old 01/27/2013, 07:19 PM   #17 (permalink)

I don't recommend this approach for what you're describing, but here it is:

When you're forced into the First Launch page to sign in, get to the dialer. It's there and available for emergency dialing. (If you don't see the phone in the notification area, just open the keyboard and push a few numbers in. The phone will show up.)

Then dial #*DEVMODE# (#*3386633#) and press Dial. This will skip the profile entry.

But it's best to log in directly to your Profile if this is going to be your daily driver. With this, you'll either have to play some tricks using Impostah to sign in, or you'll want to Reset Everything to knock it back to the sign in screen. I bypassed my activation to play with my Pre 3, too. Decided I'm Doctoring back to fresh once I'm ready to use it with it's own SIM.
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: knicks2030
Old 01/27/2013, 07:48 PM   #18 (permalink)

Can you sign into your profile after though or do you have to do it right at that screen? Thanks for the tip I'm going to try it soon.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2
Old 01/27/2013, 09:02 PM   #19 (permalink)

Sort of. You can either 1) do a full device reset (with our without Doctoring). That will let you do a proper Profile initialization again since it will reboot like it's all fresh again.

Or 2) install Impostah via Preware to delete the fake "Dr Skipped First Use" profile and sign in with a different one or even make a new one.

The Impostah route works. As I said, I did that. Except I had it create a new profile so I didn't wreck my working one. Anyway, it can confuse and complicate things here and there. So yeah, I still recommend option #1 unless you really plan on tinkering around.

Edit: Just want to get you started. Strongly recommended reading up on Impostah and how to use it properly if you want to go this route instead of waiting for a SIM.

Last edited by ananimus; 01/27/2013 at 09:07 PM.
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0