webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Mugen Battery Revival?
Mugen Battery Revival?

Old 12/23/2012, 08:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

I bought a used Pre 3 off ebay, it came with a stock battery and a Mugen. When I powered it up with the Mugen, it showed 98% charge. I wanted to fully charge it to use as a backup for my main Pre 3, but when I swapped the Mugen into the main Pre 3, it wouldn't power on. Connecting it to the charger got the ? icon. I tried it again in the newly acquired Pre 3, same result. I don't have the receipt, and would guess it's over 30 days-any tricks to get the battery functional or is this now useless? I have another Mugen and two stock batteries, but it never hurts to have another!
TIA
Old 12/30/2012, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncot View Post
I bought a used Pre 3 off ebay, it came with a stock battery and a Mugen. When I powered it up with the Mugen, it showed 98% charge. I wanted to fully charge it to use as a backup for my main Pre 3, but when I swapped the Mugen into the main Pre 3, it wouldn't power on. Connecting it to the charger got the ? icon. I tried it again in the newly acquired Pre 3, same result. I don't have the receipt, and would guess it's over 30 days-any tricks to get the battery functional or is this now useless? I have another Mugen and two stock batteries, but it never hurts to have another!
TIA
Try to send email to Mugen. Maybe they know of a reset option.

If battery is totally depleted, it can take some time before it start charging. Just leave it on the loader for a few hours or so. I believe there is also a Touchpad (battery) reviving thread on this forum, maybe they have some useful tips which can also be used for pre3.

Just some thoughts
renater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2012, 12:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

There is this thread as well...

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ry-health.html

The HP devices differ from the Palm ones in terms of how battery is treated in some major aspects...
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2012, 01:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

I left the battery in my backup Pre 3 overnight and it charged/powered on. Dr Battery shows it has life of 1525 with a manufacturer rating of 1556. Pretty good for a 1400 mAh battery! I put calibration on (I know it won't calibrate, just to discharge), it shut off the Pre at 19%. Obviously, it's off! At least its working, good to have spares.
Old 12/31/2012, 01:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Watch that overcharge... could be a sign the regulator chip in the battery is faulty.

That might be the root cause of the original problem. Monitor for sudden shutdowns and unexplained charge % drops...

It's a shame it is a used Mugen because for original purchase you would have a warranty. If the battery (chip) is defective you might try querying them anyway about replacement.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2012, 04:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

I contacted Mugen, I'll let you know what they say.
Old 01/19/2013, 04:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have the same Mugen Power 1400 mAh battery.
Dr. battery shows 100% battery health: manufacturer rating 1556 mAh,calculated left 1556 mAh.
The battery lasts longer than the original one (more than day with Wi-Fi / GPRS always on). Of course I've done 5 cycles for battery full re-charging (as Mugen insists).
But there is an issue. It drains faster from 100% to 80% than after. On 0% it still works about 2 hours! So the proper calibration is needed but can't find the way to do it
Atheist is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0