webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Pre3 Unlocked and T-Mobile
Pre3 Unlocked and T-Mobile
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By suzepi

Old 12/17/2012, 02:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

I activated T-Mobile's hotspot but cannot connect to internet. TouchPad and Pre3 are talking to each other and show hotspot connected but cannot get T-Mobile to work even though they say it is activated. Special settings? And how do i get the Locator to work on T-Mobile?
suzepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2012, 06:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

I must be missing something. Are you referring to the hotspots T-Mo has in various locations? And what is the "locator"? I've had T-Mo on my Pre3 for quite awhile, no problems connecting via wifi/phone data or T-Mo wifi hotspots (but I have to log in to those). Can you specify more precisely what you are talking about? I'd be happy to help if I can.

Shneor
Old 12/18/2012, 06:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, Shneor. I want to use the Mobile Hotspot app on my Pre 3. It allows me to tether my TP & up to 5 devices. I signed up for it with T-Mo ($15/mo). It doesn't connect to the internet when i try to get on with my TP. I went to T-Mo yesterday and they tested the SM card on their phone and it worked. I could connect the TP from that address. But not from my phone.
Old 12/18/2012, 09:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

There's freeTether if the official app doesn't work.

(I don't have a webOS phone, but I can access ssh on my (WiFi only) TouchPad if I enable it there.)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2012, 10:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzepi View Post
Thanks, Shneor. I want to use the Mobile Hotspot app on my Pre 3. It allows me to tether my TP & up to 5 devices. I signed up for it with T-Mo ($15/mo). It doesn't connect to the internet when i try to get on with my TP. I went to T-Mo yesterday and they tested the SM card on their phone and it worked. I could connect the TP from that address. But not from my phone.
The built-in Hotspot on Pre 3 would be an AT&T app not T-Mo specific... Unless they can add a webOS compatible App via SIM...
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2012, 12:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
The built-in Hotspot on Pre 3 would be an AT&T app not T-Mo specific... Unless they can add a webOS compatible App via SIM...
Thanks, all. I had the same Hotspot on my Pre3 Verizon before we got caught in a Seattle squall! So I expected it to work as a HP App. Will try freeTether. Or I will have to go the AT&T route.
Old 12/19/2012, 12:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Just wondering, is the hotspot app branded? By default the network name is "webOS Network XX:XX:XX".
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2012, 12:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

not sure what you mean. it was installed on the phone but it is also available on the HP app catalog
Old 12/19/2012, 03:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Maybe I got the Vzw one confuzzled with your current problem as well.

I've never used the Hotspot App out of the catalog. I just went to look so I could install to check out customization of configurations and my Veer won't find any such thing in the App Catalog. *blink* I'm sure I've seen it in the past, on Pre 2...

freetether works fine enough for most, but since you are paying T-Mo for hotspot then I understand wanting to go the "official" route.
Old 12/19/2012, 03:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Maybe I got the Vzw one confuzzled with your current problem as well.

I've never used the Hotspot App out of the catalog. I just went to look so I could install to check out customization of configurations and my Veer won't find any such thing in the App Catalog. *blink* I'm sure I've seen it in the past, on Pre 2...

freetether works fine enough for most, but since you are paying T-Mo for hotspot then I understand wanting to go the "official" route.
I just cancelled the service since T-Mo won't help me since it isn't a T-Mo phone. I have not used PreWare so hesitant to try it with all the warnings surrounding it. Guess I will have to go the ATT&T route.
thanks for your help.
Old 12/19/2012, 03:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzepi View Post
I just cancelled the service since T-Mo won't help me since it isn't a T-Mo phone. I have not used PreWare so hesitant to try it with all the warnings surrounding it. Guess I will have to go the ATT&T route.
thanks for your help.
What warnings surround Preware???

The usual ones of "you may void your warranty" or "use at your own risk"???

Millions... Literally millions have used stuff out of Preware with happy faces afterwards.

IMHO, it is necessary to tap into the homebrew to enhance your device and make it work to its best potential.

Best of Luck.
Old 12/19/2012, 03:41 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
What warnings surround Preware???

The usual ones of "you may void your warranty" or "use at your own risk"???

Millions... Literally millions have used stuff out of Preware with happy faces afterwards.

IMHO, it is necessary to tap into the homebrew to enhance your device and make it work to its best potential.

Best of Luck.
thanks. i wish i had a Seattle contact that would be able to walk me through it. The warnings were the ones i just read on webOS tethering on the internet. i know i am probably missing out on much.
Old 12/19/2012, 03:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

webOS Internals is a great resource... and so is this community. I've learned a lot since April by reading the Wikis over at Internals, the threads on this board and talking with community members.

Before I talk you into Preware and freetether, though... One vital question: what do you want to tether? If it is a Wifi enabled PC , laptop or TouchPad that would be fairly straight forward. If it is a Kindle, iPad or Android tablet that is another matter.

Here is the Wiki on installing Preware. IMHO the webOS Quick Install method is the easiest and WOSQI is a great tool in its own right and one every webOS user should have in their toolbox.

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

You really should look into Preware and WOSQI even if freetether isn't the solution you need.
Old 12/19/2012, 04:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
webOS Internals is a great resource... and so is this community. I've learned a lot since April by reading the Wikis over at Internals, the threads on this board and talking with community members.

Before I talk you into Preware and freetether, though... One vital question: what do you want to tether? If it is a Wifi enabled PC , laptop or TouchPad that would be fairly straight forward. If it is a Kindle, iPad or Android tablet that is another matter.

Here is the Wiki on installing Preware. IMHO the webOS Quick Install method is the easiest and WOSQI is a great tool in its own right and one every webOS user should have in their toolbox.

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

You really should look into Preware and WOSQI even if freetether isn't the solution you need.
Thanks for the encouragement. Maybe I will try it during the next week while I am not so busy. Yes, I just want to use it for Wifi enabled PC , laptop and TouchPad.
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 12/19/2012, 04:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Awesome... There is a lot of great stuff in Homebrew.

Tags
hotspot, pre 3, t-mobile

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0