Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
Like Tree12Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi, I've always been interested in webOS and sold my iPhone for them.. then ended up going back..

    Currently I have an iPhone 4S and I love it, but the Pre3 looks really nice!

    I am in the UK and on the Giffgaff network - the best ever imo!

    Should I buy a Pre 3 as a second phone or would it be pointless?

    Jw some of you guys professionalist opinions here :P Thanks
    Can't wait for my Pré!
    qbenguy likes this.
  2. #2  
    I still love my Pre3 after over a year.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    cbosdell likes this.
  3. carldc's Avatar
    Posts
    440 Posts
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    #3  
    I've had mine as a first (and only!) phone for about 14 months now and I'm as happy as ever with it!
    -carldc

    m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    cbosdell and qbenguy like this.
  4. #4  
    Ive been wondering the same thing, My Dell venue pro wp7 is on its last legs and im still on contract so cant afford to buy full price windows 8. Ive seen Pre 3 online pretty cheap so im considering it. However its between Pre 3 or the Nokia N9 which is priced around the same and from what ive seen has amazing multi-task and swype gestures... Which to choose?
    qbenguy likes this.
  5. qbenguy's Avatar
    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbysworldrox View Post
    Ive been wondering the same thing, My Dell venue pro wp7 is on its last legs and im still on contract so cant afford to buy full price windows 8. Ive seen Pre 3 online pretty cheap so im considering it. However its between Pre 3 or the Nokia N9 which is priced around the same and from what ive seen has amazing multi-task and swype gestures... Which to choose?
    I've been thinking the same. I still have and use my original Pre. Very proud! But I have to admit at times it does act up. And since I qualify for an upgrade with Sprint, I've been considering the Samsung Galaxy SIII. Now I really would prefer a Pre3. Where have you seen them online for pretty cheap? I'd appreciate your help and suggestions. Thanks in advance!
  6. #6  
    @qbenguy - keep an eye on our Marketplace Forum. They come up for sale in there often



    Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
  7. #7  
    There's no easy answer to that. I love my Pre 3, and there are specific things that it does better than any other phone. But I also love my Android phone, and there are things that it does better too.

    I have an Galaxy S2, but I end up using my Pre 3 if I have a lot of multitasking to do during the day. Android is fantastic, until you want to type something in an app, then leave the app, go to the internet, turn on some music, then go back to the app. There is a certain Android app that I will not name, that erased 2 hrs of work because I checked the internet. So I went back to my Pre 3 and it was effortless.

    I'm not critical of Android, I love it, it's great, but there is specific functionality that WebOS provides, and the Pre 3 is the best WebOS phone out there. And I've had them all.

    The iPhone is also a fantastic phone, but if there is a specific functionality that WebOS can provide that iOS can't (cough notifications cough) then go for it.
  8. qbenguy's Avatar
    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    @qbenguy - keep an eye on our Marketplace Forum. They come up for sale in there often
    @ HelloNNNewman - Thanks! I wasn't aware. I appreciate it. Since I'm on Sprint's network I'm guessing that I would need to make sure that the Pre3 is unlocked. And I guess I can then just insert my existing SIM card. Is that the way it works? I've never owned an unlocked phone so I'm not sure. Thanks again.
  9. #9  
    Just ordered my Pre 3 - $184 off ebay with free shipping - very happy with that deal. New in box even!

    I don't think you can do much better than that for the price.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

    One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    qbenguy likes this.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by qbenguy View Post
    @ HelloNNNewman - Thanks! I wasn't aware. I appreciate it. Since I'm on Sprint's network I'm guessing that I would need to make sure that the Pre3 is unlocked. And I guess I can then just insert my existing SIM card. Is that the way it works? I've never owned an unlocked phone so I'm not sure. Thanks again.
    Sprint is CDMA and does not use a SIM...

    The choices for a Pre 3 are AT&T which can be unlocked for any SIM or Verizon for CDMA which can be activated on Verizon or Page Plus Cellular...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  11. #11  
    So can anyone answer my previous post reguarding getting a pre or a nokia n9?? has anyone here had both?? Im curious which phone would be the better choice since they both are around the same price and handle swype and multi task real well...
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbysworldrox View Post
    So can anyone answer my previous post reguarding getting a pre or a nokia n9?? has anyone here had both?? Im curious which phone would be the better choice since they both are around the same price and handle swype and multi task real well...
    It's apples and apples. N9 MeeGo is about as alive as webOS at this point.

    However, N9 has no physical QWERTY which is a deal breaker for me. It does have a larger screen which is a major selling point for some. Rumors I've heard about N9 is that it is a solid performer. I've not used one...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
  13. #13  
    I've owned many Android phones, an iPhone, and a Pre 2, Touchpad etc. This summer I decided to buy a Pre 3 to replace my older Android phone. I adore it. But living a solely-webOS life can be frustrating because of the app situation. Using anything other than webOS, however, is equally frustrating because all other mobile OSs are just clunky to use by comparison. I use the Pre 3 as my primary device, and love it; it's got a brilliant keyboard and it "just works" as a way of quickly looking up info and emailing folks. But then I also have Android devices for all the other things. It's up to you; as a second device I think you'll love it. There's a grace to the whole experience that everything else just lacks.
    Mobile web developer.

    HP Pre 3 and various Droids.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by joeblurton View Post
    I've owned many Android phones, an iPhone, and a Pre 2, Touchpad etc. This summer I decided to buy a Pre 3 to replace my older Android phone. I adore it. But living a solely-webOS life can be frustrating because of the app situation. Using anything other than webOS, however, is equally frustrating because all other mobile OSs are just clunky to use by comparison. I use the Pre 3 as my primary device, and love it; it's got a brilliant keyboard and it "just works" as a way of quickly looking up info and emailing folks. But then I also have Android devices for all the other things. It's up to you; as a second device I think you'll love it. There's a grace to the whole experience that everything else just lacks.

    I understand theres not really any big app development for webOS, but im curious if in preware i could find a few useful apps. I noticed on the forums that "whatsapp" was released. Would i be able to find similar apps like that? maybe facebook chat or kik. ? I think im willing to get a pre 3 for now until im eligible for upgrade as my current dell venue pro keeps shutting off on me and there appears no way to fix it since its a hardware issue. I wanted to check out the Nokia N9 but seeing how there both in the same situation and im familiar a bit more with webOS i think ill get a pre 3.
  15. carldc's Avatar
    Posts
    440 Posts
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbysworldrox View Post
    I understand theres not really any big app development for webOS, but im curious if in preware i could find a few useful apps. I noticed on the forums that "whatsapp" was released. Would i be able to find similar apps like that? maybe facebook chat or kik. ? I think im willing to get a pre 3 for now until im eligible for upgrade as my current dell venue pro keeps shutting off on me and there appears no way to fix it since its a hardware issue. I wanted to check out the Nokia N9 but seeing how there both in the same situation and im familiar a bit more with webOS i think ill get a pre 3.
    There is a Facebook Chat app (but it's not free): App Review: QuickChat for Facebook | webOS Nation.

    The catalog is thin compared to other platforms, but I've found most of what I want. Preware and the devoted homebrewers here help fill in a lot of gaps! Flash support in the browser helps, too (ESPN3, MLB.com).
    -carldc

    m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by qbenguy View Post
    @ HelloNNNewman - Thanks! I wasn't aware. I appreciate it. Since I'm on Sprint's network I'm guessing that I would need to make sure that the Pre3 is unlocked. And I guess I can then just insert my existing SIM card. Is that the way it works? I've never owned an unlocked phone so I'm not sure. Thanks again.
    I'm on Sprint right now too (not for long) and unfortunately the Pre3 will not work on that network. The Pre3 is a GSM phone (Sprint is CDMA).



    Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
    qbenguy likes this.
  17. #17  
    Don't buy it as a 2nd phone. Buy it as your only phone. ;-)

    Actually I'm curious about the people here talking about carrying more than 1 phone around. That seems like a hassle to me. No problem - I just don't get it. :-)

    If you are depending on certain apps that have no equivalent on webos - get an Android.
    IMHO webos still has the best interface on the market - even a year after it got killed. And for what I need the apps are available (iamareddit, Bahnfahrt, car2go, some games, etc). And the pre3 is good hardware - so I am happy with it. Your milage may vary.
    Last edited by tholap; 12/16/2012 at 10:17 AM.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  18. qbenguy's Avatar
    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Sprint is CDMA and does not use a SIM...

    The choices for a Pre 3 are AT&T which can be unlocked for any SIM or Verizon for CDMA which can be activated on Verizon or Page Plus Cellular...
    Thanks wasn't 100% sure of which carrier I could use. If/when I invest in a Pre3, I now know my options. And it sounds like I would be better off buying one that is unlocked. Page Plus Cellular? What do you know if anything about them?

    Appreciate the information.
  19. qbenguy's Avatar
    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I'm on Sprint right now too (not for long) and unfortunately the Pre3 will not work on that network. The Pre3 is a GSM phone (Sprint is CDMA).
    I've also been considering moving on to another carrier. And I now know that if/when I buy a Pre3 that I would have to. I've been leaning towards TMobile or Verizon. I hear that they have the better all data plans and I've heard that AT&T can be quite expensive. Who are you leaning towards. Are you also considering a Pre3 and that's why you're leaving Sprint?

    Thanks again for your input. Appreciate it.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by qbenguy View Post
    Thanks wasn't 100% sure of which carrier I could use. If/when I invest in a Pre3, I now know my options. And it sounds like I would be better off buying one that is unlocked. Page Plus Cellular? What do you know if anything about them?

    Appreciate the information.
    I know it gets talked about in the threads, but not much dedicated space for Page Plus.

    They will activate any Verizon phone with a clean ESN.

    Prices are low, but so is the data cap.

    You can activate directly with them or through a reseller like Kitty Wireless.

    I'm about tapped out on info.

    Prepaid Cell Phone Cards | Prepaid National Cell Phones
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions