webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Welcome myself to WebOs nation
Welcome myself to WebOs nation
Like Tree15Likes

Old 12/10/2012, 08:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hello my WebOs family. I'm expecting my first Pre3 to come in this week and would like some advice for first time starting up my new unlocked GSM on Straight Talk service. Should I Preware the phone? and what should I download from HomeBrew? thanks:
Hold_Ur_breath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2012, 08:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold_Ur_breath View Post
Hello my WebOs family. I'm expecting my first Pre3 to come in this week and would like some advice for first time starting up my new unlocked GSM on Straight Talk service. Should I Preware the phone? and what should I download from HomeBrew? thanks:
Welcome!
Homebrew is going to be your best friend.

My must-have apps:
GuttenPodder for podcasts
Homebrew Google Maps
UberCalendar
Tweaks (+ various patches from Preware)

You'll also probably want to grab the app FrontCam, since otherwise your front-facing camera can only be used for Skype.

What platform are you switching from?
jlamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2012, 09:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

Welcome to webOS Nation, Hold_Ur_breath.

As mentioned above, you will definitely want to install Preware in order to get all the extra tweaks and goodies available for your new device. Enjoy the new Pre3!

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Hold_Ur_breath
Old 12/10/2012, 11:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

My first phone was android didnt like it so went to Palm Pre on sprint network love the phone but switched to HTC Evo 4g for better app store and Adobe flash, but now I can't forget about the WebOs keep on dreaming about it so I had to order one from Amazon and try to connect to Straighttalk. I know that HP had abandoned our beloved WebOs and the only updates I can get is thru Homebrew. So sad.
Old 12/10/2012, 11:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

The only truly smart phone is on WebOs not ios not Android not Blaxkbery
Old 12/10/2012, 11:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

welcome to the forums!
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2012, 05:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
The only truly smart phone is on WebOs not ios not Android not Blaxkbery
I hate to disagree, despite me liking WebOS in general wouldn't be calling it a true smartphone not anymore with the whole operating system gone kaput with HP abandoning it. Now Android or the iOS phones, those you could call a true smartphone with their tons of apps and their software new yearly updates.
Old 12/10/2012, 05:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
I hate to disagree, despite me liking WebOS in general wouldn't be calling it a true smartphone not anymore with the whole operating system gone kaput with HP abandoning it. Now Android or the iOS phones, those you could call a true smartphone with their tons of apps and their software new yearly updates.
Lets not turn this into a platform debate as this is not what this thread is for, but remember not all android phones get "yearly updates".

Now on the topic of true smartphone, webOS is a true smartphone that still fits everyone of my personal smartphone requirements. I carry my webOS phone and TouchPad every day, I bot to CM9 to play a couple time waster games... I haven't even bothered loading my daily use synergy accounts into CM because I am not in it enough.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by netwrkr9 likes this.
Old 12/10/2012, 06:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
Lets not turn this into a platform debate as this is not what this thread is for, but remember not all android phones get "yearly updates".

Now on the topic of true smartphone, webOS is a true smartphone that still fits everyone of my personal smartphone requirements. I carry my webOS phone and TouchPad every day, I bot to CM9 to play a couple time waster games... I haven't even bothered loading my daily use synergy accounts into CM because I am not in it enough.
A simple glance at Android Central | Android Forums, News, Reviews, Help and Android Wallpapers will in fact not only confirm this as fact, but also point out the amount of people that complain about it not happening enough and/or fast enough. You think people complain around here ......lol.....it's ten times worse there....and we're not talking about year old (or older) phones either.
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Grabber5.0 and OldSkoolVWLover like this.
Old 12/10/2012, 06:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
It's funny just last nite I was asking girl friend what she like so much about iphone. And she asked me what I like about that old palm and I replied its a smartphone.

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/10/2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: fixed quoted text
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 12/10/2012, 06:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes preware for sure. My recommendations: advanced patches especially today menu, open email and texts in new card. Also disable light bar

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/11/2012 at 08:20 AM. Reason: fixed quoted text
Old 12/10/2012, 09:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks everyone I cant wait for my Pre3 to gets in. im pretty sure going to need some more advice later on.
Old 12/10/2012, 09:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

Jeez, come on Friday... I need to get my Pre 3 off eBay before all the Verizon ones are gone! Seems like all sorts of Pre 3 talk coming up as the prices goes down.

How about this guy??

https://twitter.com/joshuatopolsky/s...18010152562688

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2012, 09:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

Josh has good taste. But he also has hang ups, like threaded email and LTE. Good to see he still remembers
Old 12/11/2012, 12:39 AM   #15 (permalink)

<quote deleted>

Let's assume the iPhone is a smartphone. Let's also say all iPhones are smartphones. How does the Pre family compare to the first iPhone. Probably better, due to expandability, being developer unlocked, and comes with a bunch of features the first iPhone didn't have. Does that qualify the Pre as a smartphone? It surely would. Just because experiences change in comparison doesn't disqualify it from what it originally was.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/11/2012 at 08:19 AM.
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kevets and Remy X like this.
Old 12/11/2012, 01:09 AM   #16 (permalink)

Someone around here once said the iphone is just dumb phone with a lot of apps.

I wouldn't go that far but I do know that the newest iphone is still basically the first iphone
Liked by kevets likes this.
Old 12/11/2012, 07:22 AM   #17 (permalink)

Good things are coming from the opened WebOs, more updates, apps. Go long WebOs. Yeah
Liked by kevets likes this.
Old 12/11/2012, 12:42 PM   #18 (permalink)

Welcome to the fold!

Although I have moved on to a Galaxy S3 as my main phone, I still use my Touchpad on a daily basis.

Definitely go with Preware/WebOS Quick Install. i also used Google Calendar Search, Simple Bible, Accuweather, and Carpenter's Level.

For games: Angry Birds (of course!), Super KO Boxing, Battleships (free), Pribbage (free), Glyder 2, Air Traffic, Mini Golf, Blocked, Scatter, Farkle, Ancient Frog (the best!), Quell, Code Breaker, Zilch, and Woodenigma.

Utilities: Dr. Battery, Govnah, Save/Restore, Luna Manager, Internalz Pro, Tweaks, and don't forget Developer Mode!
Fisack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2012, 12:53 PM   #19 (permalink)

whale come, plenty of good advice already from above, gl hf.
Old 12/14/2012, 07:09 AM   #20 (permalink)

ok just got my Pre3 yesterday, updated to 2.2.4, and went on to Preware icon, so many patches and updates from homebrew, so how do I know which patches and updates I really needed? and how to I get my Netflix to play on my Pre3? thanks

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0