webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Welcome myself to WebOs nation
Welcome myself to WebOs nation
Like Tree15Likes

Old 12/14/2012, 07:50 AM   #21 (permalink)

As for the patches, just take what sounds interesting. That's usually how I do it. Netflix is a sticky issue. I don't think webOS supports it, because they use Windows Media DRM or something like that, which webOS does not support. You can dual boot to Android if Netflix is essential.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor

Last edited by GMMan; 12/14/2012 at 12:42 PM.
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Hold_Ur_breath
Old 12/14/2012, 11:42 AM   #22 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
...You can dual boot to Android if Netflix is essential.
LOL you forgot you weren't in the TouchPad forum again, Brother.

Last edited by RumoredNow; 12/14/2012 at 01:10 PM.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2012, 12:38 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
LOL you forgot you weren't in the TouchPad forum again, Brother.

*facepalm* I really need to get myself a webOS phone.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover and RumoredNow like this.
Old 12/14/2012, 01:09 PM   #24 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
...I really need to get myself a webOS phone.
I nominate Veer. I love mine.
Old 12/14/2012, 10:25 PM   #25 (permalink)

I'll throw in Veer, Pre3, or Pre2 all are good devices
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2012, 09:46 AM   #26 (permalink)

Ok got my Pre3 working at last with Straighttalk, took me two days to figured out that in order for my pics mail to work I needed to add :80 to my mms proxy. I saw it in one of the post. But still not too happy with the browser..not up to dates
Hold_Ur_breath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2012, 11:12 AM   #27 (permalink)

I am in the same boat as you hold_ur_breath: I just got a Pre3 via Amazon yesterday. I'm taking it through its paces, and finding the browser is nothing special. Battery life seems to be draining pretty quickly. I need to download the apps/patches that were mentioned in the beginning of this thread. Please continue to share your experience, it's nice to see someone else going through the same thing as I am
slight9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2012, 11:42 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold_Ur_breath View Post
Ok got my Pre3 working at last with Straighttalk, took me two days to figured out that in order for my pics mail to work I needed to add :80 to my mms proxy. I saw it in one of the post. But still not too happy with the browser..not up to dates
the device was abandoned on its very launch day, so yeah the browser wont be up to date, its far from useless tho.
Old 12/16/2012, 12:56 PM   #29 (permalink)

I really think that the end of this month I am just going to let the plan expire with the Straighttalk and put my Pre3 back in the box and continue using my Evo until HP decide to updates some software. And only then I will bring back my Pre3.
Hold_Ur_breath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2012, 01:21 PM   #30 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
I really think that the end of this month I am just going to let the plan expire with the Straighttalk and put my Pre3 back in the box and continue using my Evo until HP decide to updates some software. And only then I will bring back my Pre3.
Um...

HP isn't going to update Pre 3 or any Legacy webOS software. Homebrew might: and in fact already has done great things.

Check the threads around here for tips to make the device more usable.

Good Luck.

Thanked By: Hold_Ur_breath
Old 12/17/2012, 08:00 AM   #31 (permalink)

The browser doesn't bother me so much, but battery life is very important for me. I'm keeping all the radios (WiFi, GPS, Data) off, and the brightness is down around 20%. I've also installed Govnah and I set the max CPU to 800Mhz. But still, looks like I'm losing 1% every 5 minutes or so (rough guess), even when I'm not using it. Is this normal/the best I can expect?

Are there any other Tweaks or tips that I can use to get the battery to last longer? Are there services that run in the background that I can safely kill? I know there is the Mugen 2800 battery but I don't want the bulk (that was one reason for switching to the Pre3 from the big monster phones of today).

Thanks for the help everyone. Hold_ur_breath, how is your battery life?
Old 12/17/2012, 12:28 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
to be fair, if they had plans to support it they wouldnt have dumped it the second it was released, but hey thats all part of the distant leo apothaclypse.
Old 12/17/2012, 12:30 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slight9 View Post
The browser doesn't bother me so much, but battery life is very important for me. I'm keeping all the radios (WiFi, GPS, Data) off, and the brightness is down around 20%. I've also installed Govnah and I set the max CPU to 800Mhz. But still, looks like I'm losing 1% every 5 minutes or so (rough guess), even when I'm not using it. Is this normal/the best I can expect?

Are there any other Tweaks or tips that I can use to get the battery to last longer? Are there services that run in the background that I can safely kill? I know there is the Mugen 2800 battery but I don't want the bulk (that was one reason for switching to the Pre3 from the big monster phones of today).

Thanks for the help everyone. Hold_ur_breath, how is your battery life?
you lose heaps of battery even when idle?
also what patches if any do you have installed?
Old 12/17/2012, 03:39 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
you lose heaps of battery even when idle?
also what patches if any do you have installed?
I only have ad blocker, battery percent as icon, data in device menu, and gps in device menu patches.

I just installed UberKernel (which no longer has screenstate?) and made a profile using the ondemand governor with a Powersave Bias of 20. It seems to help and draws down the current even when it's on. But I'm basically out of power now at 10% and it hasn't even been 24 hours since it was fully charged. I kept all radios off while I slept (12am - 8am) and I'm using it only on WiFi for Internet (and very moderately at that). I have been playing the music, but no more than 30 minutes total since it was unplugged yesterday.
Old 12/17/2012, 05:01 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slight9 View Post
I only have ad blocker, battery percent as icon, data in device menu, and gps in device menu patches.

I just installed UberKernel (which no longer has screenstate?) and made a profile using the ondemand governor with a Powersave Bias of 20. It seems to help and draws down the current even when it's on. But I'm basically out of power now at 10% and it hasn't even been 24 hours since it was fully charged. I kept all radios off while I slept (12am - 8am) and I'm using it only on WiFi for Internet (and very moderately at that). I have been playing the music, but no more than 30 minutes total since it was unplugged yesterday.
im using similar, omdemandtcl (min 368mhz, max 1.4ghz), screenstate/off 122mhz, deadline, westwood etc etc, only diference to you is i have 5 custom govnah profiles for use with ModeSwitcher: Max Power-80%, 60-80% power, 40-60% power, 20-40% power, 0-20% power.

Each govnah profile/battery stage ofc has more drastic forms of cpu reduction, longer sampling rates/powersave bias, anything to help save more battery as the battery drops, my lowest giving most apps a noticable but hopefully helpful delay.

other stuff to try which may (or may not) help would be some of these i also use.

Disable Lightbar
Muffle System Logging
Quiet Powered Messages
Remove Dropped Packet Logging
Remove Tap Ripple
System Control Optimisation
Disable Light Sensitive Dimming

maybe try all or some of those and full restart and see hwo things go, also maybe aquire Mode Switcher and try getting it to use more govnah profiles at certain stages of battery level, every little helps.

EDIT: wonder if theres such a thing as a Govnah type like ondemand that auto changes the max freq based on battery % until it hits min freq, or maybe thats just dumb.
Old 12/17/2012, 05:33 PM   #36 (permalink)

Thanks so much for these patches. I will definitely try them out and let you know how it goes. It is charging now (3rd full charge since unboxing), so the patches along with Govnah ondemand CPU should give me a good idea if I'm having issues or this is just the standard battery life. Thanks again.
Old 12/17/2012, 08:19 PM   #37 (permalink)

Did the Pre 3 not come with a wired headphone/mic like the Pre 2 and Pixi did? My xmas present just arrived today and I'm taking a peek

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2012, 09:00 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevets View Post
Did the Pre 3 not come with a wired headphone/mic like the Pre 2 and Pixi did? My xmas present just arrived today and I'm taking a peek
Nope none of the HP releases came with it.... I don't even think my Pre2 came with one, but maybe it did and I just forgot....
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2012, 07:57 AM   #39 (permalink)

UPDATE:
@Geekpeter - Took it off the charger at 8pm last night and installed all those patches you pointed to. The only two I didn't install are Quiet Powered Messages and Light sensitive dimming. When I took it off, Dr. Battery had it at 100% full (although the charge itself was less than 1200, and Dr. Battery has it rated at 1218, which still lower than the 1230 it's supposed to be). I went to sleep at 12am with 89%, and woke up to an alarm (on the phone) at 83%. I guess that's normal. Doesn't seem good, but doesn't seem bad. My Govnah profile has max freq with screenstate off set to 330Mhz.

Anyway, I checked emails and read some news and I'm at 80% now. I'll update later today.
Old 12/18/2012, 12:27 PM   #40 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

@slight9

Push email, GPS on and searching for signal are some of the biggest battery drainers.

I always set my email accounts to manual, but I don''t get a lot of email and almost none for business. I realize manual refresh for email is not for everyone.

Try the GPS in Device Menu patch. It's the most convenient place, IMHO, to have the toggle. I leave GPS off unless I need it for something (maps, certain web needs). I'd also run the GPS Icon on Top Bar patch so you have a reminder to toggle GPS off when not needed...

Along with some of the system optimization and log taming advice from earlier, try these Patches as well:
Disk Cache Mod
EOM Overlord
Unthrottle Download Manager

There isn't much you can do if your daily routine takes you places where the phone is constantly searching for signal or trying to switch between 2G/3G... If you suspect that is the case you can look in dialer preferences and toggle data use off when you are in those types of places.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0