webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Just won pre3 on ebay :)
Just won pre3 on ebay :)
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By johncc

Old 12/08/2012, 01:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

I just won an Pre 3 on eBay Australia, very excited to be soon owning a webOS phone to join my HP Touchpad.
Any tips and advice on setting it up and things to watch out for would be appreciated.
It was an impulse by mainly due to reading all the forum post praising the pre and webOS phone.

Anyone know if the maps work down under for Pre 3? On my Touchpad there is an error with my location being in the middle of the Tasman Sea, which does not happen if i boot into cyangenmod Android for Touchpad.
Firepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2012, 03:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
I just won an Pre 3 on eBay Australia, very excited to be soon owning a webOS phone to join my HP Touchpad.
Any tips and advice on setting it up and things to watch out for would be appreciated.
It was an impulse by mainly due to reading all the forum post praising the pre and webOS phone.

Anyone know if the maps work down under for Pre 3? On my Touchpad there is an error with my location being in the middle of the Tasman Sea, which does not happen if i boot into cyangenmod Android for Touchpad.
I use my Pre3 with Navit quite often. I sometimes seem to need to kickstart the GPS with GPS Fix.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2012, 03:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncc View Post
I use my Pre3 with Navit quite often. I sometimes seem to need to kickstart the GPS with GPS Fix.
But your location is always correct? It never correct using wifi on Touchpad.
Busily reading pre3 forums
Old 12/08/2012, 04:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
But your location is always correct? It never correct using wifi on Touchpad.
Busily reading pre3 forums
Yes. Once GPS is running I get correct positions. The Touchpad does not have GPS, but Navit on the Touchpad can use a paired GPS receiver, including the Pre3.
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 12/08/2012, 06:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncc View Post
Yes. Once GPS is running I get correct positions. The Touchpad does not have GPS, but Navit on the Touchpad can use a paired GPS receiver, including the Pre3.
thanks for that , Touchpad does get location details from wifi, usually local ISP or ISP router location.
I at least expect it to show capital city, but it has me swimming in Tasman sea, Im sure theres no routers there , lol
This has been a major bug for all Southern hemisphere users.

Google maps on android on Touchpad shows location of my house using wifi.
Old 12/08/2012, 06:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

My TP shows a position several k's away, consistent with a tower location.
Old 12/08/2012, 08:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think Google has been collecting location data through a combination of cell location, WiFi signals received, and GPS position. Without WiFi it tries to locate using IP address (hence either cell tower location or the city you're in but otherwise not close). If WiFi is on it'll take a reading of the nearby APs and compare it to their database, and return a fairly accurate location (though sometimes it can be very off). Then GPS location is just GPS location, and read through the hardware.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2012, 08:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
[...]Then GPS location is just GPS location, and read through the hardware.
Almost. With webOS on Verizon (here in the States), GPS is screwy, so it reads back only the imprecise satellite GPS. On 1.x devices opening the Verizon Navigator does allow other apps to get a precise GPS fix from tower data, but on 2.x that's broken. So even GPS has its components
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0