webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > 4 columns of app in launcher
4 columns of app in launcher
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By laingman
  • 1 Post By Rockbeast

Old 12/07/2012, 12:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

I have ever been regretted after i switched from pre plus/pixi to pre3, even with the recent battery drain issue with screen.

however, one thing i really miss is the 4-column app icon display in pre plus... will make the screen usage more efficient.

anybody can re-write that app for pre3 and webos 2.2.x?
zhanezeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2012, 12:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

I hear you! I moved up to a Pre2 and I was used to 5 columns of app icons! It takes a lot longer to scroll through all my apps when there are only 3 on a row...my finger/wrist is/are getting tired!

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2012, 01:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Just type....
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2012, 05:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
Just type....
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
Just type....
Totally agree with you. No need to scroll through apps when you have just type. Unless you can't remember the name of the app or just plain bored.

Even so some apps have tags. For example start typing the first two letters of internet or even browser will bring up the app named web. Start typing time and you will get time apps that have to do with time.

Don't want to pull the keyboard? Just install the built in virtual keyboard. Its great for just type.

I can see wanting more icons tho, but it just can't be done at this point. So I've been told

Last edited by laingman; 12/08/2012 at 12:44 AM.
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 12/08/2012, 01:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

i knew somebody will say "just type"...... I am a fan with just type as well?

however, even for visual effect, i think 4-column look more effective and efficient...

and also when you have 100+ app...browsing is sometime still a good way to "discover" some less frequently used apps...
zhanezeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2012, 03:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhanezeng View Post
i knew somebody will say "just type"...... I am a fan with just type as well?

however, even for visual effect, i think 4-column look more effective and efficient...

and also when you have 100+ app...browsing is sometime still a good way to "discover" some less frequently used apps...
I miss tabbed launcher pages more than 4x4 (or 5) icons. But yeah I too sometimes browse launcher pages especially when I'm bored or looking for something to delete.

Sorry there's nothing that can be done for you, options are always good

Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 12/11/2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: fix quote
Old 12/11/2012, 11:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
Totally agree with you. No need to scroll through apps when you have just type. Unless you can't remember the name of the app or just plain bored....
What if I'm just plain boring? Or worse yet, just plane boarding?

I'm sorry...guess I'm so bored I'm punishing all of you with my juvenile attempts at humor.

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 12/11/2012, 07:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
What if I'm just plain boring? Or worse yet, just plane boarding?

I'm sorry...guess I'm so bored I'm punishing all of you with my juvenile attempts at humor.
Nice play on words
Old 12/12/2012, 08:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhanezeng View Post
I have ever been regretted after i switched from pre plus/pixi to pre3, even with the recent battery drain issue with screen.

however, one thing i really miss is the 4-column app icon display in pre plus... will make the screen usage more efficient.

anybody can re-write that app for pre3 and webos 2.2.x?
It's definitely possible to have four icons per row. I've been working on it but have yet to come up with a perfect solution. If I can fix the one major issue I'm running into, I'll be sure to post the patch for everyone to use. I wouldn't get your hopes up though...

If any devs out there would like to help, let me know.

-- Sent via mobile

Last edited by Garrett92C; 12/12/2012 at 09:56 AM.
Garrett92C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2012, 10:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
It's definitely possible to have four icons per row. I've been working on it but have yet to come up with a perfect solution. If I can fix the one major issue I'm running into, I'll be sure to post the patch for everyone to use. I wouldn't get your hopes up though...

If any devs out there would like to help, let me know.

-- Sent via mobile
Under /usr/lib/Luna many things can be changed, even having more then 4 icons in the ribbon bar....

Need help? PM me...

also one can take the source code from WOCE/Open webOS and can compile a new LunaSysMgr (but one needs the webOS 3.0.5 frameworks or Open webOS frameworks to work)...
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0